the stark reality is....

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Wyo2dal wrote:
bladerunnr wrote:
seattlecowboy wrote:I actually agree with JC on this. This team isn't playing that great of basketball right now. Glad we won but if you take the homer goggles off you have to admit this team has lots of losses coming up on the 2nd half of the conference schedule with all of the road games unless something changes drastically.

Hope something changes and we start improving and playing better because if we play like this on the road we will lose at Nevada and at AFA along with the SDSU, New Mexico and UNLV.
So, today we barely beat a team that csewe beat by 50. This reminds me of the football season when we got off to a 3-1 start and posters started talking about a bowl game. Well, the hard part of this season is about to begin. If we continue to play like we have been, we will lose a lot of games. Wednesday will be a big test. We seem to be shooting ourselves in the foot a lot lately. I've never seen a team that attacks the rim less than us. We've got players on this team shooting a percentage that wouldn't even be a good batting average. I hope today was just a case of us looking past Nevada because they are one of the worst teams I've seen.
The score is all you guys look at for f-word sake pay attention to the total number of plays in the game and see if they still would have won by 50, They wouldn't have case closed.
I actually don't just look at the score. I already understand the whole possessions thing in basketball games since I handicap and wager on them. So i was watching the whole game and how they played as well as every other game recently and I can say that if they don't start playing better they will lose on Wednesday and also lose a bunch of road games. So let's hope they start playing better. Glad we got the win though as it is better than the alternative. :D

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
HellBass
Buckaroo

Or, you could argue that this extremely well coached Larry Shyatt team, through their high self awareness of what they are good and bad at in the game of basketball, has ground down 18 of 22 opponents this year with an iron will and discipline that essentially forces their opponent into what Wyoming wants to do. As a result, we do not have to discuss the "upside" of the POKES, as there is a high chance given their guts and determination that they will achieve maximum competitiveness on a night to night basis...

...or, Mr. Armchair QB Rock Springs magnate, you could go with the gospel of the guy who's team plays like he acts on the sideline - with little self discipline when matched up against opposing teams of similar strength and ready to bend to the other teams will while at the same time exhibiting serious lapses in composure mixed with explosive 2-year old tantrums of "I can't believe this is happening to me" during crucial periods (see technicals vs. WYO and Boise State)...his assessment of our beloved POKES I'm sure is "spot on"...

...but yah, let's go with the Bobby Knight screaming maniac wannabe from south of the border (even Coach Knight's act didn't last forever)

Boo yah,
CBASS in the 573
Powder River, Let 'er Buck!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

HellBass wrote:Or, you could argue that this extremely well coached Larry Shyatt team, through their high self awareness of what they are good and bad at in the game of basketball, has ground down 18 of 22 opponents this year with an iron will and discipline that essentially forces their opponent into what Wyoming wants to do. As a result, we do not have to discuss the "upside" of the POKES, as there is a high chance given their guts and determination that they will achieve maximum competitiveness on a night to night basis...

...or, Mr. Armchair QB Rock Springs magnate, you could go with the gospel of the guy who's team plays like he acts on the sideline - with little self discipline when matched up against opposing teams of similar strength and ready to bend to the other teams will while at the same time exhibiting serious lapses in composure mixed with explosive 2-year old tantrums of "I can't believe this is happening to me" during crucial periods (see technicals vs. WYO and Boise State)...his assessment of our beloved POKES I'm sure is "spot on"...

...but yah, let's go with the Bobby Knight screaming maniac wannabe from south of the border (even Coach Knight's act didn't last forever)

Boo yah,
CBASS in the 573
Game.
Set.

MATCH.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Who cares if CSU is beating teams by 20-50 pts. And we only manage to beat the same team by 8-10. What matters is that we win (18-4, 7-2) and that we already beat this CSU team on their own court!
Our style of play rarely warrants blowout wins. We don't run at a pace to rack up a 50 point lead on someone. The only time you've seen this team win by 20+ was when we played legitimately bad teams (FAMU, Stetson, Denver). All of which I think even Nevada could've handled just as easily.
The point is Shyatt has a system. It is a defensive minded system. "OLD SCHOOL" something that most people don't like anymore. People like points! Lots of points! Sometimes I think people like points more than wins around here.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

kansasCowboy wrote:Who cares if CSU is beating teams by 20-50 pts. And we only manage to beat the same team by 8-10. What matters is that we win (18-4, 7-2) and that we already beat this CSU team on their own court!
Our style of play rarely warrants blowout wins. We don't run at a pace to rack up a 50 point lead on someone. The only time you've seen this team win by 20+ was when we played legitimately bad teams (FAMU, Stetson, Denver). All of which I think even Nevada could've handled just as easily.
The point is Shyatt has a system. It is a defensive minded system. "OLD SCHOOL" something that most people don't like anymore. People like points! Lots of points! Sometimes I think people like points more than wins around here.
+1
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

kansasCowboy wrote:Who cares if CSU is beating teams by 20-50 pts. And we only manage to beat the same team by 8-10. What matters is that we win (18-4, 7-2) and that we already beat this CSU team on their own court!
So the thread started is the csewe's coach's claim that our upside is limited and that the sheep had a much bigger upside. Since we beat them, they have been winning games easily with one exception. We will see wednesday if he was right. Based on how the 2 teams are playing right now, I would expect them to beat us. I know this, he may not say it, but I would imagine Eustacy wants this game more than any other on the schedule.

If you don't think Nevada is a "bad" team,( I think they are 6-14 with wins over cal-poly San Marcos and Adams state)
then I guess we have an entire league of good teams.
HornetPoke76
Buckaroo

Aka = Seattle Seahawks defense!!! D wins chanpionships bb. Seattle's game is= hold the other team to less than 21 points and they win. Similar to the pokes philosophy but according to some fans we r offensively challenged!!i say f-word that,D wins championships!!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

HornetPoke76 wrote:Aka = Seattle Seahawks defense!!! D wins chanpionships bb. Seattle's game is= hold the other team to less than 21 points and they win. Similar to the pokes philosophy but according to some fans we r offensively challenged!!i say f-word that,D wins championships!!
Of all great defensive teams, you had to choose the one I am actually coming to hate? What about the "Steel Curtain" Pittsburgh Steelers? Or any other team in the NFL?
HornetPoke76
Buckaroo

I'm sorry fromall. It pains me to say it too as I am a 49ers fan.but seriously , defense is key and with good d u can win games maybe u shouldn't have won. Lets embrace our pokes D!
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

I gotta say, this place is getting downright stupid anymore.
We lose and have a bad year, be it bball or fball, and people piss and moan.
We are winning. Having our best start since 87-88, and people piss and moan.
We drop a game, because hey, we're good, but we're not freaking Kentucky, and people piss and moan like we just pulled a Schroyer type year!
Having frustrations and questions is fine, but literally pissing and moaning, some of these fans on here are starting to join the CSU/SDSU fan ranks.
Knock it off! Check your attitudes! And enjoy your team winning for once!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

I don't get what's so difficult what's so hard to understand about this team. This team isn't built to beat anyone by 50 points, this team built to hold teams to about 50 points. This is why our defense is one of the top defenses in the country in points per game allowed. Nothing is going to look like a great game, big points, etc. We didn't even shoot the ball particularly well today, but still won by a few points. Nevada was shooting more than 50% at the half but was held to 23 points. Eustachy, believe it or not, is a mouth breathing blow-hard.. his comment about ceilings was stupid and misguided considering his team had just gotten housed.
ImageImageImageImage
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

MrTitleist wrote:I don't get what's so difficult what's so hard to understand about this team. This team isn't built to beat anyone by 50 points, this team built to hold teams to about 50 points. This is why our defense is one of the top defenses in the country in points per game allowed. Nothing is going to look like a great game, big points, etc. We didn't even shoot the ball particularly well today, but still won by a few points. Nevada was shooting more than 50% at the half but was held to 23 points. Eustachy, believe it or not, is a mouth breathing blow-hard.. his comment about ceilings was stupid and misguided considering his team had just gotten housed.
Yep. And that was with Nance at about 50% (more mental "oh poop, not again!" than any actual harm). I think we just may sweep the sheep this year. Larry "Technical" Eustachy likes to poop talk and run up the score. And JJ Thugvilla is gonna find out that he won't be able to mug Nance at the Dome of Doom and get away with it.
Kwyo
Buckaroo

fromolwyoming wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:I don't get what's so difficult what's so hard to understand about this team. This team isn't built to beat anyone by 50 points, this team built to hold teams to about 50 points. This is why our defense is one of the top defenses in the country in points per game allowed. Nothing is going to look like a great game, big points, etc. We didn't even shoot the ball particularly well today, but still won by a few points. Nevada was shooting more than 50% at the half but was held to 23 points. Eustachy, believe it or not, is a mouth breathing blow-hard.. his comment about ceilings was stupid and misguided considering his team had just gotten housed.
Yep. And that was with Nance at about 50% (more mental "oh poop, not again!" than any actual harm). I think we just may sweep the sheep this year. Larry "Technical" Eustachy likes to poop talk and run up the score. And JJ Thugvilla is gonna find out that he won't be able to mug Nance at the Dome of Doom and get away with it.
and JJ stand for double jelly donut or jelly donut*2 whatever it sound funnier.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

No upside is good enough for 1st in MW through first half of league play. If we get one bench guy that can break out, we can have big upside. If Gorski really can shoot like they say, I think he's the guy to come in and up our offensive output.
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

kansasCowboy wrote:I gotta say, this place is getting downright stupid anymore.
We lose and have a bad year, be it bball or fball, and people piss and moan.
We are winning. Having our best start since 87-88, and people piss and moan.
We drop a game, because hey, we're good, but we're not freaking Kentucky, and people piss and moan like we just pulled a Schroyer type year!
Having frustrations and questions is fine, but literally pissing and moaning, some of these fans on here are starting to join the CSU/SDSU fan ranks.
Knock it off! Check your attitudes! And enjoy your team winning for once!
+1,000,000
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Between Gorski and McManamem, I think we have upside.
McM has really been coming into his own lately. He seems more confident in his shot and in running the offense.
Gorski, is where McM was at the beginning of the season. Can show streaks of greatness (USU) and then is clanking treys off the side of the backboard (Nev). I think Gorski will be more confident with a few more games and will be where McM is now by conf tourney time.
I still wish we could see Barnes get some minutes. It would be nice to see what he could do in conf play as a fresh.

But our upside isn't really offensive production. That's where everyone and Eustachy get it wrong. If we have upside it is even stronger D.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

I, too, am tortured that we are not undefeated, beating everyone by an average of 52 points, with Calipari stating that if he has to face us in the tournament he is going to forfeit the game, and with a movement in Congress to put Shyatt in charge of the military to spiff them up.

Instead, we are enduring the start of a February where we're on top of the MWC and 18-4.

I blame Burman.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

All we do is win. It may look ugly at times but we win. Even when we lose we don't get blown out. I see more upside then downside
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

The REAL "stark reality" is that we are tied for 1st place and have a real shot at getting a conference title. Yeah, we don't blow out teams and run up the score on bad/struggling teams while keeping the starters out the entire time (not a fan of RUTS). But we still win. Yeah, the USU loss hurt (though the refs turning a blind eye from a lot of the things USU did didn't help, and it made me smile to see them get blown out), but we are still good to go.
wyoav211933
Ranch Hand

Don't get me wrong, I've been real proud with how the boys have played and am tickled to death that we are tied for first in the conference, but I do feel like Eustachy has a point. When you are playing with fewer possessions there is that much more burden to make them count. And there have been quite a few times already where we only barely did well enough. If you were to re-write conference records in a format of convincing wins-convincing losses-either/or games, it does worry me slightly. We would probably be 2-1-6 (if we consider Boise and Nevada as convincing wins, Ut St. convincing loss, and all others either/or games). Compare that to CSU, which would probably be 4-1-4. Some of you may assign a few of those games differently, but even taking account playing styles I think we can all agree that CSU has had more convincing conference wins than we have, which I think is where Eustachy is coming from. I also think that we can all agree that our remaining games are going to be tougher than what we've already played, we still have to play at NM, at SDSU, and at UNLV and with home games against CSU and Fresno State that I think will also be tough. That being said, I still think Nance is the best player in the conference, I still think our defense is legit, and while I disagree with Shyatt in a number of areas I feel like we are still a darn well-coached team, and I still think that we have at least 5 more wins in us by a fairly conservative measure, but I do see why people could reasonably assume we don't have much more upside.