Is it fair to question if Larry Nance Jr. is overrated?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
HellBass
Buckaroo

Hey Doc, go blow your ACL,come back and play in less than a year after rehab...then get MONO...oh wait, you never had a chance to begin with.

This has got to be one of the stupidest threads ever started in a LONG TIME...and started by old reliable NYC...good thing you recognized your 'talent' and went after a career that requires a strong mouth...

CowboyNV has it right...and as usual, you have it ALL WRONG...but hey, thanks for being "provocative"
Powder River, Let 'er Buck!
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

HellBass wrote:Hey Doc, go blow your ACL,come back and play in less than a year after rehab...then get MONO...oh wait, you never had a chance to begin with.

This has got to be one of the stupidest threads ever started in a LONG TIME...and started by old reliable NYC...good thing you recognized your 'talent' and went after a career that requires a strong mouth...

CowboyNV has it right...and as usual, you have it ALL WRONG...but hey, thanks for being "provocative"
Who is wrong and who is right , I'm so confused.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

No Nance, no chance. He has given me hope for years now. I think if he plans to make it at the next level he needs Duval to get a hold of him.

Larry will always be a favorite cowboy to me. Watching his highlights on Sportscenter over the years has been awesome.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

DocHolliday wrote:To preface, let me be clear, the comment you are about to read has nothing to do with the just completed game, and it is almost unthinkable to the well majority of terrific Pokes fans here.

Larry Nance.

A good player, yes.

An overrated player as well?

In my opinion, the answer is once again, yes.

I'll be shocked if he ever plays in the NBA.

Let the War now commence...
Overrated relative to what? I guess I don't see the relevance of his NBA prospects. They aren't great, but they never have been (go look at any NBA draft prediction). So, are you saying he is overrated as a draft prospect? He is rated very low, if at all in that regard so not sure where you get that.

NBA prospects are a poor gauge for evaluating the impact and level of most MWC players however. By your method, guys like Leckner, Dembo, Bailey, etc were bums.

In the context of a college player at UW, Nance is a legitimate two time first team All-MWC player and one of the top two players to don the Brown and Gold in the last decade along with Brandon Ewing (who didn't play in the NBA either). He also provided a positive public face and stayed all four years. If his career is not good enough for you, then I suggest you move back to whatever poop hole you came from and stop sullying the Wyoming Cowboys with your misplaced fandom.

Is that what you were looking for?
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

HellBass wrote:Hey Doc, go blow your ACL,come back and play in less than a year after rehab...then get MONO...oh wait, you never had a chance to begin with.

What does any of what you wrote have to do with my feeling that he's a somewhat overrated player?

Ad-hominem attacks are cute but refute my point with substance if you are capable.

I'm as aware as anyone of his ailments, it does not subtract from my points about him being overrated in my opinion. You disagree? Fine. Your response until further notice was no response at all.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

NowherePoke wrote:
DocHolliday wrote:To preface, let me be clear, the comment you are about to read has nothing to do with the just completed game, and it is almost unthinkable to the well majority of terrific Pokes fans here.

Larry Nance.

A good player, yes.

Overrated relative to what? I guess I don't see the relevance of his NBA prospects. They aren't great, but they never have been (go look at any NBA draft prediction). So, are you saying he is overrated as a draft prospect? He is rated very low, if at all in that regard so not sure where you get that.

NBA prospects are a poor gauge for evaluating the impact and level of most MWC players however. By your method, guys like Leckner, Dembo, Bailey, etc were bums.

In the context of a college player at UW, Nance is a legitimate two time first team All-MWC player and one of the top two players to don the Brown and Gold in the last decade along with Brandon Ewing (who didn't play in the NBA either). He also provided a positive public face and stayed all four years. If his career is not good enough for you, then I suggest you move back to whatever poop hole you came from and stop sullying the Wyoming Cowboys with your misplaced fandom.

Overrated in the sense that the Pre-Season MWC Player Of The Year was too often not the best player on the court in too many games this past season.

Is that what I was looking for?

I stand by my points without apology.

Misplaced fandom? Explain that one, please.
HellBass
Buckaroo

My response was provided as intended...I did not specifically address your original question because as I stated "stupidest thread ever started in a long time" You original post had no substance...other than to be 'provocative'

But thanks for putting me 'on notice'...
Powder River, Let 'er Buck!
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

HellBass wrote:My response was provided as intended...I did not specifically address your original question because as I stated "stupidest thread ever started in a long time" You original post had no substance...other than to be 'provocative'

But thanks for putting me 'on notice'...
I see, so then there is no consideration given to Larry Nance being overrated? I must believe he is as good as you obviously believe him to be...or I'm just wrong and you're right and that's the end of it?

Got it.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

djm19 wrote:No Nance, no chance. He has given me hope for years now. I think if he plans to make it at the next level he needs Duval to get a hold of him.

Larry will always be a favorite cowboy to me. Watching his highlights on Sportscenter over the years has been awesome.
One of my favorites since I've been here going back to 2002 as well. That said, I believe he is overrated. This makes me less of a fan?
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

DocHolliday wrote:
NowherePoke wrote:

Larry Nance.

A good player, yes.

Overrated in the sense that the Pre-Season MWC Player Of The Year was too often not the best player on the court in too many games this past season.
I guess I just disagree with this. Pre-mono I thought he was clearly the 2nd best player in the MWC (although I could see a case for Marvelle Harris). The fact that Marks was better was more a reflection of Marks being underrated or improving his game than any weakness in Nance's performance. He was clearly not 100% physically early in the OOC, but he was still having an impact and by the time conference play came around he was carrying this team, to a 8-2 start. Without him at 100% this was a very weak team. When Bailey went down, the Pokes still finished 3rd in a MWC that was tougher than the current version. How would this years squad sans Nance fare against that schedule? Near the bottom of the league, no doubt.

Nance's legacy is limited by injury and a weak supporting cast, but he is one of the Top 7-8 players I have seen at UW in 30 years of fandom. That's JMO obviously, but I would be interested in your take on who was better at UW in whatever time frame you choose and who was better in the MWC, besides Marks of course.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

NowherePoke wrote:
DocHolliday wrote:
NowherePoke wrote:

Larry Nance.

A good player, yes.

I guess I just disagree with this. Pre-mono I thought he was clearly the 2nd best player in the MWC (although I could see a case for Marvelle Harris). The fact that Marks was better was more a reflection of Marks being underrated or improving his game than any weakness in Nance's performance. He was clearly not 100% physically early in the OOC, but he was still having an impact and by the time conference play came around he was carrying this team, to a 8-2 start. Without him at 100% this was a very weak team. When Bailey went down, the Pokes still finished 3rd in a MWC that was tougher than the current version. How would this years squad sans Nance fare against that schedule? Near the bottom of the league, no doubt.

Nance's legacy is limited by injury and a weak supporting cast, but he is one of the Top 7-8 players I have seen at UW in 30 years of fandom. That's JMO obviously, but I would be interested in your take on who was better at UW in whatever time frame you choose and who was better in the MWC, besides Marks of course.
NP understand I am far from trying to flog Larry Nance, on the contrary, he is a terrific player who I believe was misused by Shyatt this season to a great extent.

I also believe that he was probably more singularly important to his team than any one other player on any other team in the MWC.

Where the 'overrated' aspect comes into play for me is in his pre-season honor, and what I felt were games where he disappeared for too many stretches.

The bottom line is that I just don't feel the overall game and talent matches up with the hype associated with his name.

Is he a great kid? Obviously.

Was he sick this season? Of course, and it has affected him since he got back from the mono (of which I had at one time).

Was he a tremendous ambassador for the University of Wyoming? Of course...and it was my privilege to see him play the last few years.

I think he was a very good player during his time at Wyoming -- but not a 'great player' in my humble opinion.

ALSO: He runs neck & neck with Brandon Ewing as the best player to don the Brown & Gold since I have been in the Mountain West and a Wyoming fan since 2002.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

DocHolliday wrote:
NowherePoke wrote:
DocHolliday wrote:
NowherePoke wrote:

Larry Nance.

A good player, yes.

NP understand I am far from trying to flog Larry Nance, on the contrary, he is a terrific player who I believe was misused by Shyatt this season to a great extent.

I also believe that he was probably more singularly important to his team than any one other player on any other team in the MWC.

Where the 'overrated' aspect comes into play for me is in his pre-season honor, and what I felt were games where he disappeared for too many stretches.

The bottom line is that I just don't feel the overall game and talent matches up with the hype associated with his name.

Was he sick this season? Of course, and it has affected him since he got back from the mono (of which I had at one time).

Was he a tremendous ambassador for the University of Wyoming? Of course...and it was my privilege to see him play the last few years.

I think he was a very good player during his time at Wyoming -- but not a 'great player' in my humble opinion.
In terms of preseason POY, I guess I would ask who you think should have received that honor? In hindsight, it's clearly Marks but I didn't see anyone suggesting it at the time.

In terms of "good" vs. "great", those are arbitrary terms. You are entitled to your opinion of course, but I am not sure whether or not I agree/disagree because you haven't really made it clear what your opinion of Nance is. Where should he rank among recent or all time great UW players and where should he rank in the MWC over the last couple of years and how does that differ from his actually rating?

Edit: Just saw your edit/addition regarding Ewing, so you can disregard part of my question.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

NowherePoke wrote:
DocHolliday wrote:
NowherePoke wrote:
DocHolliday wrote:
NowherePoke wrote:

Larry Nance.

A good player, yes.

In terms of preseason POY, I guess I would ask who you think should have received that honor? In hindsight, it's clearly Marks but I didn't see anyone suggesting it at the time.

In terms of "good" vs. "great", those are arbitrary terms. You are entitled to your opinion of course, but I am not sure whether or not I agree/disagree because you haven't really made it clear what your opinion of Nance is. Where should he rank among recent or all time great UW players and where should he rank in the MWC over the last couple of years and how does that differ from his actually rating?
I guess the best way for me to answer you is to state that it's my opinion that in order to be considered a great player you must rise to the occasion and dominate games on a consistent basis. Nance does not qualify in that category for me, thus I believe he's a good to very good player, with glimpses of being able to dominate at times, but nothing on a sustained basis in order to be categorized as 'great'.

Now in relationship to the players I have personally witnessed in Laramie since leaving that poop many years ago (you could not be more correct about that by the way) how does he stack up? There I would acknowledge that compared and contrasted against the backdrop of the typical UW basketball player Larry Nance is indeed 'great'.

Would you agree with me that Nance has failed to materialize with big game efforts this season in games where a great player who could take his team upon his back would have made a difference? Where a shot had to be made and Nance was the guy who stepped up and made that gigantic play? Where was he tonight when the play needed to be made? A 3 pointer in that situation launched from Santa Fe? Was that the right basketball play in that situation? Does a great player attempt that shot at that crucial moment in the game?

On the road against SMU: 3 points (Shot 25%)

On the road at Cal: 13 points (Shot 33%)

On the road at Utah State: 14 points (Shot 46% but never got to the line a single time in the game)

All of the above games were losses as you know. What does our RPI look like with wins in those games -- and how would 3 wins in those games have mattered to us as we sit well outside the bubble currently?

He also had a paltry 4 made FG's in the January 7 road win at CSU - a game we don't win if not for the huge McMannamen 3 pointer at the end.

Now taken as a singular statistic (points) this can often times be a bit misleading because Nance's importance to the team is magnified in other ways...there were times this year where he needed to be a monster and was not.

If I had been at The Pit tonight during the game and a Lobos fan had saddled up to me and said; "you know we hear about Larry Nance Jr. all the time out here and how he's a great player...but I don't believe that to be the case. I just don't see it. I'll give you that he's a pretty good player, but I won't commit to him being great".

My response would have been; "I happen to agree with you".

I know I'm raining on the LNJ parade here...but my intention is not to diminish him, but rather, to objectively categorize him as the very good player he can be at times, and to dispel what I consider to be the myth and the hype that he is a great player as compared to those in the CBB game who legitimately warrant such a label.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

How many great players had less than average supporting casts with little depth?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

This has got to be one of the dumbest threads I've ever read. Why I clicked on it is beyond me. What are you basing these brilliant observations on concerning Nance being overrated??

Is it because he has pressed at times on the offensive end down the stretch because he has LITTLE HELP?? First of all, no one other than Larry and Josh has the ability to effectively create on the offensive end on a consistent basis. Adams was a no-show last night and Nance took a few ill-advised shots while trying to do too much at times. Is that what you're talking about? Or that Nance looked sluggish and out-of-sync for a bit after coming back from Mono? That's a shocker.

Secondly, Nance was voted pre-season POY because he WAS the best ALL-AROUND player coming back. If I were to start a team with the players available in the MWC this year, I'd start with a healthy Larry Nance -- not Derrick Marks. Marks had a very good season offensively, but as is usually the case with most hoops illiterates, they only look at the offensive end. Nance also rebounds, blocks shots and effectively covers for defensive mistakes/breakdowns made by teammates. The latter does not show up on stat sheets, for the most part. Let's also not forget that Nance HAD TO PLAY nearly every minute of each game because he had to.

Larry was also voted 1st-team all-MWC last year even though he missed the last six full conference games. THAT is respect for his abilities.

Yep, he is certainly overrated.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

POKE FAN wrote:This has got to be one of the dumbest threads I've ever read. Why I clicked on it is beyond me. What are you basing these brilliant observations on concerning Nance being overrated??

Is it because he has pressed at times on the offensive end down the stretch because he has LITTLE HELP?? First of all, no one other than Larry and Josh has the ability to effectively create on the offensive end on a consistent basis. Adams was a no-show last night and Nance took a few ill-advised shots while trying to do too much at times. Is that what you're talking about? Or that Nance looked sluggish and out-of-sync for a bit after coming back from Mono? That's a shocker.

Secondly, Nance was voted pre-season POY because he WAS the best ALL-AROUND player coming back. If I were to start a team with the players available in the MWC this year, I'd start with a healthy Larry Nance -- not Derrick Marks. Marks had a very good season offensively, but as is usually the case with most hoops illiterates, they only look at the offensive end. Nance also rebounds, blocks shots and effectively covers for defensive mistakes/breakdowns made by teammates. The latter does not show up on stat sheets, for the most part. Let's also not forget that Nance HAD TO PLAY nearly every minute of each game because he had to.

Larry was also voted 1st-team all-MWC last year even though he missed the last six full conference games. THAT is respect for his abilities.

Yep, he is certainly overrated.
There's a reason why I generally avoid posting in his threads as they are usually toxic in some way. In this case, belittling our best player (or at the very least, marginalizing what Nance has done to an extreme) who came back from ACL surgery, had mono, and battles crohns disease. Not to mention covers on the defensive side for other players, creates his own shots, and while not our best ever big man, is certainly in the top 10. If his supporting cast had been more consistent, at least throughout this season, we would be looking at a top 3 finish at least.

Dino and I rarely, if ever, see eye to eye on anything, so I generally avoid his threads, unless he posts stupid crap like this.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Yeah, I don't get this one either. If anything, he might be underrated.

Look at our record when he doesn't play. There aren't that many players able to elevate an entire team to the level he does.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Here is Nance's problem and I said this in another thread.

Nance is far too passive sometimes. No one can tell me different either. Nance is athletic enough and good enough that when he gets the ball down low or takes it to the basket no one can guard him BUT far too many times he either gets the ball at the top of the key where he shoots a jump shot or he passes it . Now part of this is the fault of Shyatt because of the offense he is running and having Nance and Cooke come to the top of the key.

I understand not wanting to be selfish and play with the team and that is fine but sometimes Nance just needs to get pissed and post up and tell them to give him the ball or if he gets it at the top of the key look to make a move driving it to the basket like a mad man because he will either score or get fouled. He really shouldn't even be coming to the top of the key as much as he is but that is my opinion. I am not claiming to know as much as Shyatt by any means but Nance is good enough that if he gets the ball down low he could take it to the basket every time and something good will probably happen for Wyoming.

I am not the only person who has noticed this either. I have had multiple people tell me that they think Nance could be more aggressive and also that they don't understand why he is coming to the top of the key so much. I would have to think a lot of it has to do with the way Shyatt is running the offense. This is all pre mono also before he was ever sick.

Does anyone else here feel this way or have any comments on it? This isn't bashing Larry by the way as I feel Nance is probably a top 10 all time Cowboy but I feel that Shyatt could be utilizing him better and wish they would do something about it before the MWC tournament next week.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
CNPOKE
Buckaroo

I agree with Seattle Cowboy and as Beaver Poke commented on another thread in that Nance needed to take over the game many times attitude but was lacking. Nance gets kudos for overcoming adversity and being a very good player at Wyoming however imo too passive to make it in the NBA. If Nance had Josh Davis agressiveness different story.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

seattlecowboy wrote:Here is Nance's problem and I said this in another thread.

Nance is far too passive sometimes. No one can tell me different either. Nance is athletic enough and good enough that when he gets the ball down low or takes it to the basket no one can guard him BUT far too many times he either gets the ball at the top of the key where he shoots a jump shot or he passes it . Now part of this is the fault of Shyatt because of the offense he is running and having Nance and Cooke come to the top of the key.

I understand not wanting to be selfish and play with the team and that is fine but sometimes Nance just needs to get pissed and post up and tell them to give him the ball or if he gets it at the top of the key look to make a move driving it to the basket like a mad man because he will either score or get fouled. He really shouldn't even be coming to the top of the key as much as he is but that is my opinion. I am not claiming to know as much as Shyatt by any means but Nance is good enough that if he gets the ball down low he could take it to the basket every time and something good will probably happen for Wyoming.

I am not the only person who has noticed this either. I have had multiple people tell me that they think Nance could be more aggressive and also that they don't understand why he is coming to the top of the key so much. I would have to think a lot of it has to do with the way Shyatt is running the offense. This is all pre mono also before he was ever sick.

Does anyone else here feel this way or have any comments on it? This isn't bashing Larry by the way as I feel Nance is probably a top 10 all time Cowboy but I feel that Shyatt could be utilizing him better and wish they would do something about it before the MWC tournament next week.
I'm far from an expert on basketball, but I believe the problem with Wyoming's offense, is their defensive philosophy. Shyatt wants all 5 guys back on defense. It seems to me that's one of the reasons Wyoming is not a good offensive rebounding team....as soon as someone shoots, they are all breaking back down the floor to set up the defense. It's easier for the big men to get back on defense if they are at the top of the key, instead of down low in the blocks. So, instead of trying to pound the ball down low and take advantage of Nance's ability around the hoop, the coaches put him at the top of the key to make sure he is in position to get back on defense. I'm probably totally wrong on this, but it sure seems that the focus is a lot more on defense than it is on offense.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.