Is it fair to question if Larry Nance Jr. is overrated?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

He will be remembered... Plain and simple. Proud he chose WYO.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I was pretty sad watching Larry walk off the court. God I am going to miss watching him.
He may be over-rated to some, and under-rated to others, but in my eyes, Larry Nance Jr. is one of the ALL-TIME GREATS.

The way he represents UW and the way he plays is awesome. I will remember Nance Jr. as a Cowboy for a LONG time.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

DocHolliday wrote:
Aaron wrote:Not even going to finish this thread. Combine it with a couple others I just read and I will have to say I am once again embarrassed to be a Wyoming fan. Not for the teams we put out but the "fans" who have opinions. Pathetic.

And admin I didn't use any foul language in this one so maybe it doesn't get deleted?
Let me see if I have this correct. You're 'ashamed' because someone had the temerity to suggest or to question whether or not a player is as good as some people think he is? So this specific player is off limits and if you don't move to reinforce his brilliance (or any player) you are somehow bringing blasphemy to the thought of being an actual fan?

I'll call this the Larry Shyatt effect. When myself and a few others questioned his ability to lead the Pokes to loftier levels beyond multiple CBI appearances we were attacked as though we sought to deny the diety of Christ Jesus Himself.

Give me a break.

Look it, I have been a New Jersey Devils fan since the puck dropped at The Meadowlands Arena back in 1982. I've seen virtually every second of that franchise's existence. As a Devils fan since day one I have questioned the legitimacy of the greatness of Martin Brodeur and raised the notion that he too is perhaps overrated.

If I can wonder this about one of the most esteemed and accomplished athletes of the last 25 years I can certainly question the greatness of Larry Nance Jr.

Not that I should need to note this one more time -- but only because some here read and interrupt only what they wish to, please allow me to re-state it one more time.

He is the best player this side of Brandon Ewing I have seen since I began following the Pokes back in 2002. By all counts he is a terrific kid, a great ambassador for the program, and I have relished the opportunity to watch him up close and in person throughout his Wyoming career.

My suggestion is that he is not as good as some believe him to be. Period.

If some wish to twist my words and go about with ad-hominem attacks because of this alleged treasonous perspective then be my guest.

Nobody is ever beyond reproach, and as hard as it may be for some to digest, this includes, Larry Nance Jr.

If you want me to be truthful I am always ashamed and embarrassed that a racist scumbag such as yourself has latched onto my lifelong favorite team. And starting this thread before the season was over proved just what an asshole you are. Though all the threads where you put down our athletes has shown that over and over again.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

I was pretty sad watching Larry walk off the court. God I am going to miss watching him.
He may be over-rated to some, and under-rated to others, but in my eyes, Larry Nance Jr. is one of the ALL-TIME GREATS.

The way he represents UW and the way he plays is awesome. I will remember Nance Jr. as a Cowboy for a LONG time.
Amen.

I found the original premise of this thread moronic, one primary reason being: what is Nance rated, that we're supposed to decide is correct? Is he rated as an 8.1, and he should be a 7.9? A member of the Platinum Club, when he should only be a Double Diamond? Grade A Jumbo, when he should only be Premium Extra Large?

This is a fine and smart young man who, for reasons that still amaze me, committed to a school across the country and in the middle of nowhere, a choice that literally made his mother cry, and to a program that was a piece of roadkill, a grotesque joke, and with a new coach who could only pitch a vision, a vision of new discipline on the floor and in the classroom, a vision of "we're starting from scratch but we're going to do things the right way, and boys like you are who I want to do this with."

And, once he commits, what does he do? He buys in completely. He submits to the coaching, learning his own game and also learning how to be what the team needs. He pursues his education at our good school. He's thoughtful, polite, fun, with everyone he deal with, from media to fans to staff to educators.

He doesn't waver. He keeps battling his own disease, which is never publicized until late in the game. He gets better, more essential to the team, every year. When he finally hits full bloom, starting to dominate in the MWC, starting to be talked about for a first round NBA pick, he lands on the floor and his knee breaks.

Do you remember that? Nance hobbling off the floor, laying there disconsolate with a towel over his head? Thinking that the dream was over? I do.

I also remember the decisions that had to be made. What was best for him? Go do surgery and rehab in Ohio, say goodbye to UW in order to protect his professional future?

And what did he do? He stayed. He didn't waver. He pushed himself all the way back so that he could return to represent this school for the last year he had.

And you know the rest: a monstrous headache for every team we played, the pillar of our team, so much so we could barely find our way when a brutal, energy-sapping sickness hit him in the heart of our season, a return from that, to garner all conference honors, national mentions, an unparalleled run through an epic three days at the conference tournament, to lead UW back to the national stage for the first time in 13 years.

So, overrated? I don't have a damn clue what that means. Others have had more rebounds. Others have had more points. More blocks. Higher percentages of points to turnovers to fouls to playing time to shots taken to highlight reel plays, or whatever the f-word metrics are used these days. I bet some players in the past tied their shoes better, too.

But every man arises in a context.

And Larry's context makes him one of the Cowboy greats.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Good post, Snowy.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

SnowyRange wrote:

Amen.

I found the original premise of this thread moronic, one primary reason being: what is Nance rated, that we're supposed to decide is correct? Is he rated as an 8.1, and he should be a 7.9? A member of the Platinum Club, when he should only be a Double Diamond? Grade A Jumbo, when he should only be Premium Extra Large?

This is a fine and smart young man who, for reasons that still amaze me, committed to a school across the country and in the middle of nowhere, a choice that literally made his mother cry, and to a program that was a piece of roadkill, a grotesque joke, and with a new coach who could only pitch a vision, a vision of new discipline on the floor and in the classroom, a vision of "we're starting from scratch but we're going to do things the right way, and boys like you are who I want to do this with."

And, once he commits, what does he do? He buys in completely. He submits to the coaching, learning his own game and also learning how to be what the team needs. He pursues his education at our good school. He's thoughtful, polite, fun, with everyone he deal with, from media to fans to staff to educators.

He doesn't waver. He keeps battling his own disease, which is never publicized until late in the game. He gets better, more essential to the team, every year. When he finally hits full bloom, starting to dominate in the MWC, starting to be talked about for a first round NBA pick, he lands on the floor and his knee breaks.

Do you remember that? Nance hobbling off the floor, laying there disconsolate with a towel over his head? Thinking that the dream was over? I do.

I also remember the decisions that had to be made. What was best for him? Go do surgery and rehab in Ohio, say goodbye to UW in order to protect his professional future?

And what did he do? He stayed. He didn't waver. He pushed himself all the way back so that he could return to represent this school for the last year he had.

And you know the rest: a monstrous headache for every team we played, the pillar of our team, so much so we could barely find our way when a brutal, energy-sapping sickness hit him in the heart of our season, a return from that, to garner all conference honors, national mentions, an unparalleled run through an epic three days at the conference tournament, to lead UW back to the national stage for the first time in 13 years.

So, overrated? I don't have a damn clue what that means. Others have had more rebounds. Others have had more points. More blocks. Higher percentages of points to turnovers to fouls to playing time to shots taken to highlight reel plays, or whatever the f-word metrics are used these days. I bet some players in the past tied their shoes better, too.

But every man arises in a context.

And Larry's context makes him one of the Cowboy greats
Basketball post of the year. +1000
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Snowyrange nailed it.
dapokes
Ranch Hand

Thought you may feel like I'm being a prisoner of the moment...I'm not. I'm not gonna lie.

Larry Nance Jr. is my favorite Cowboy Basketball player.

As fans, there is nothing else we could've asked for from a player to represent our University on and off the court. I got back from Seattle last night and it was bittersweet feeling after the game. I just want to thank Larry and the rest of those seniors for bringing Wyoming Basketball back to relevancy. The highs came with the lows...from dunks that forced national media to take note, to tearing his ACL and fighting through mono. If you went to the game, you'd be lying through your teeth if you said you saw a dry eye when Nance and the seniors checked out. Those boys sparked our fans to awaken and it will show in years to come.

Loved Nance's Dr. Suess quote he tweeted after the game
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened"

Don't hang your head seniors, we were teary too. Such an emotional roller coaster, but we'll never forget the excitement you gave us. Through the ups and the downs, this team was the building block as we'll see in the next 4 yrs. Like Papa Shy told them they could be.... "a part of something bigger".
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

Aaron wrote:
DocHolliday wrote:
Aaron wrote:Not even going to finish this thread. Combine it with a couple others I just read and I will have to say I am once again embarrassed to be a Wyoming fan. Not for the teams we put out but the "fans" who have opinions. Pathetic.

And admin I didn't use any foul language in this one so maybe it doesn't get deleted?
Let me see if I have this correct. You're 'ashamed' because someone had the temerity to suggest or to question whether or not a player is as good as some people think he is? So this specific player is off limits and if you don't move to reinforce his brilliance (or any player) you are somehow bringing blasphemy to the thought of being an actual fan?

I'll call this the Larry Shyatt effect. When myself and a few others questioned his ability to lead the Pokes to loftier levels beyond multiple CBI appearances we were attacked as though we sought to deny the diety of Christ Jesus Himself.

Give me a break.

Look it, I have been a New Jersey Devils fan since the puck dropped at The Meadowlands Arena back in 1982. I've seen virtually every second of that franchise's existence. As a Devils fan since day one I have questioned the legitimacy of the greatness of Martin Brodeur and raised the notion that he too is perhaps overrated.

If I can wonder this about one of the most esteemed and accomplished athletes of the last 25 years I can certainly question the greatness of Larry Nance Jr.

Not that I should need to note this one more time -- but only because some here read and interrupt only what they wish to, please allow me to re-state it one more time.

He is the best player this side of Brandon Ewing I have seen since I began following the Pokes back in 2002. By all counts he is a terrific kid, a great ambassador for the program, and I have relished the opportunity to watch him up close and in person throughout his Wyoming career.

My suggestion is that he is not as good as some believe him to be. Period.

If some wish to twist my words and go about with ad-hominem attacks because of this alleged treasonous perspective then be my guest.

Nobody is ever beyond reproach, and as hard as it may be for some to digest, this includes, Larry Nance Jr.

If you want me to be truthful I am always ashamed and embarrassed that a racist scumbag such as yourself has latched onto my lifelong favorite team. And starting this thread before the season was over proved just what an asshole you are. Though all the threads where you put down our athletes has shown that over and over again.
Racist, eh? I'll forgive you in advance for not knowing what it is you're talking about. 'Your team?" Explain that one please. Put down our athletes? I urge you to go back and re-read my initial thoughts and those that followed, I have not 'put down' anyone. You're a pip, Aaron. See you on the radio.

P.S. It's also clear that since you have no basis for an argument nor anything resembling a debate on the issue, you are forced to deliver your usual ad-hominem attacks through nothing more than name calling, negative insinuations, etc.
Maybe you should be ashamed that you lack the ability to articulate a coherent thought?
Keep trying, Aaron, keep trying. Someday you just might get there.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

CowboyNV wrote:Nance is a warrior. He plays while having Crohn's Disease. I'll let you Google that yourselves so you can see just how debilitating that disease can be. In addition to fighting Crohn's, he also has to fight the side effects of the medication he takes to treat his Crohn's. Here's a short list of those side effects:

Pain/swelling at injection site, joint/muscle pain, swelling ankles/feet, easy bruising/bleeding, vision changes, seizures, confusion, muscle weakness, numbness/tingling of arms/legs, butterfly-shaped facial rash, chest pain, pain/redness/swelling of arms or legs, shortness of breath, fast/slow/irregular heartbeat.

On top of all of the things associated with Crohn's, he came back from major knee surgery. And he had a bad case of mono. Not counting tonight, in 26 games he has averaged 34 minutes a game, 53.5% from the field, 78.3% from the line, 16 points per game, 7.4 rebounds per game, and about 2.5 assists per game.

He may not be the best player ever at UW, but given his personal health issues, he is the #1 toughest son of a bitch I've ever had the pleasure of watching. He will someday grace the court of an NBA franchise. He will be missed.
+1 billion. He is lucky to be able to play basketball. He was one of the best players we have had in a long time. We were damn lucky to have someone that tough.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

WyoBrandX wrote:
CowboyNV wrote:Nance is a warrior. He plays while having Crohn's Disease. I'll let you Google that yourselves so you can see just how debilitating that disease can be. In addition to fighting Crohn's, he also has to fight the side effects of the medication he takes to treat his Crohn's. Here's a short list of those side effects:

Pain/swelling at injection site, joint/muscle pain, swelling ankles/feet, easy bruising/bleeding, vision changes, seizures, confusion, muscle weakness, numbness/tingling of arms/legs, butterfly-shaped facial rash, chest pain, pain/redness/swelling of arms or legs, shortness of breath, fast/slow/irregular heartbeat.

On top of all of the things associated with Crohn's, he came back from major knee surgery. And he had a bad case of mono. Not counting tonight, in 26 games he has averaged 34 minutes a game, 53.5% from the field, 78.3% from the line, 16 points per game, 7.4 rebounds per game, and about 2.5 assists per game.

He may not be the best player ever at UW, but given his personal health issues, he is the #1 toughest son of a bitch I've ever had the pleasure of watching. He will someday grace the court of an NBA franchise. He will be missed.
+1 billion. He is lucky to be able to play basketball. He was one of the best players we have had in a long time. We were damn lucky to have someone that tough.
You'll get no argument from me with that line...so where do we have an argument? The question generated to begin the thread was a legitimate inquiry. Yes, no, or maybe? All opinions considered...or not?
The Virginian
Cowpoke

The original question posted by the OP was, is it fair to question if Larry Nance Jr. is overrated? Well, obviously it is fair to question whether or not if he's overrated. This is a message board, it's fair to question anything you wish. Now, whether he's overrated or not is another question.

As for me, I could care less how he was rated and why. All I care about is that he was chose to come to UW and he gave it everything he had. As a fan, that's all I can ask. So, to Larry Nance, Jr. I say thank you for four years of dedicated play. Godspeed and may you find success in any endeavor you take on in your life. You're a Cowboy for life.
This post submitted anonymously by Jeff Fry aka DCPoke
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

The Virginian wrote:The original question posted by the OP was, is it fair to question if Larry Nance Jr. is overrated? Well, obviously it is fair to question whether or not if he's overrated. This is a message board, it's fair to question anything you wish. Now, whether he's overrated or not is another question.

As for me, I could care less how he was rated and why. All I care about is that he was chose to come to UW and he gave it everything he had. As a fan, that's all I can ask. So, to Larry Nance, Jr. I say thank you for four years of dedicated play. Godspeed and may you find success in any endeavor you take on in your life. You're a Cowboy for life.
And I agree with your post one million percent...
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

The Virginian wrote: I could care less how he was rated.
Suppose you could put a metric to how much you cared about something. 1 is the least you could care and 10 the most. Suppose, for some event, you cared 4. Then you could care less, since you could of cared 1, 2, or 3.
But if you cared 1, there is no less that you could care so, in this case, you couldn't care less.

Sorry, just feeling pedantic today.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

Adv8RU12 wrote:
The Virginian wrote: I could care less how he was rated.
Suppose you could put a metric to how much you cared about something. 1 is the least you could care and 10 the most. Suppose, for some event, you cared 4. Then you could care less, since you could of cared 1, 2, or 3.
But if you cared 1, there is no less that you could care so, in this case, you couldn't care less.

Sorry, just feeling pedantic today.
On the other hand...that's a pretty interesting line of thought. Well done.
Cowduck
Cowpoke

Goddamn, kill this thread. Kill it with fire.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

There's always someone to throw a turd in the punch bowl. Whether it's about our awesome season or our best player's legacy, always someone smh.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Meh, just a "journalism" tactic. You have those that really dive into the inner workings of a team. Those that can intelligently and clearly articulate strategies, matchups, etc. Those that are sunshine pumpers and those that utilize the "dark side" in an attempt to generate discussion.

A very common tactic to generate discussion is to use negativity. Discussion leads to listeners, readers, whatever, even if that discussion is railing against the journalist. At the end of the day, the journalist can then sell the number of listeners, readers, or whatever to their employer.

I'm more of matchup and numbers guy. I like the journalists that unbiasedly (as much as possible) really break down offenses, defenses, matchups, players, etc. I'm usually not into the sunshine pumpers or the dark siders.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

LOL
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

BeaverPoke wrote:LOL
sometimes reading these old threads is good for a laugh or three.