Former Beav QB transferring.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:If they were good enough to play and win as true freshmen they would have played and not red-shirted.

The plan wasn't "Oh let's make sure we RS these 2 QBs because we need them to RS so we will play Kirk and lose 8 games".

The plan was to play the best QB we had. And we did.
Bohl has said he likes to come out of spring ball with the starter already named. Last spring, that was Kirkegaard. Thornton was the number two, followed by Stratton. That's already a three-deep with guys who had all spring in the system.

Fast forward to this year. Bohl obviously feels good enough about the current crop of QBs that he moved the only returning non-redshirt QB to WR this spring.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:If they were good enough to play and win as true freshmen they would have played and not red-shirted.

The plan wasn't "Oh let's make sure we RS these 2 QBs because we need them to RS so we will play Kirk and lose 8 games".

The plan was to play the best QB we had. And we did.
Bohl has said he likes to come out of spring ball with the starter already named. Last spring, that was Kirkegaard. Thornton was the number two, followed by Stratton. That's already a three-deep with guys who had all spring in the system.

Fast forward to this year. Bohl obviously feels good enough about the current crop of QBs that he moved the only returning non-redshirt QB to WR this spring.

Honest question here, when Bohl said he likes to have a start already named out of Spring Ball did he mean that in the sense that, if there isn't a clear cut starter by then we are in trouble?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 150 times

I think there's been plenty of players that didn't play as freshman that have been great qb's. Sure, some do, but it sounds like if Bohl is going to have a rough season, he'll do it with an upperclassman
W-Y, Until I Die!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

"We need to come out of spring knowing who our No. 1 quarterback is and who our No. 2 is."
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:"We need to come out of spring knowing who our No. 1 quarterback is and who our No. 2 is."
So Kirk was still our #1 and Thorton was our #2.

Just proving we had terrible QB depth last season.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:"We need to come out of spring knowing who our No. 1 quarterback is and who our No. 2 is."

Last season... So you're saying you don't like ANY of the QBs that Bohl and staff recruited and brought in this recruiting season? We just suck all around? Or is it because this guy was a Beaver and you'd be stoked to see him a Cowboy and are arguing for the sake of arguing?
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

kansasCowboy wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:

Last season... So you're saying you don't like ANY of the QBs that Bohl and staff recruited and brought in this recruiting season? We just suck all around? Or is it because this guy was a Beaver and you'd be stoked to see him a Cowboy and are arguing for the sake of arguing?
Has nothing to do with him being a Beaver. When I heard he was transferring I didn't even know who he was.
And I'm not arguing to argue. :roll:

I don't think we have any QBs worth a damn on our roster. I figure a kid with more FBS offers than the rest of our QBs combined might be worth bringing on. Simple as that.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Yeah! Screw coaching up guys that wanted to be here and just go after transfers to bring to an already bloated spot!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:Yeah! Screw coaching up guys that wanted to be here and just go after transfers to bring to an already bloated spot!
Winning with a transfer > Losing with someone "who wanted to be here".

Go ahead and make Aaron Young the QB for the next 4 years because he wanted to be here.

Screw. That.

Find someone who can play at a high level and win. Bottom line.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:Go ahead and make Aaron Young the QB for the next 4 years because he wanted to be here.

Screw. That.

Maybe that someone is Aaron Young. Or Nick Smith. Or Josh Allen. Or Austin Fort.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

I think the kid from Cali can play
W-Y, Until I Die!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:Go ahead and make Aaron Young the QB for the next 4 years because he wanted to be here.

Screw. That.

Maybe that someone is Aaron Young. Or Nick Smith. Or Josh Allen. Or Austin Fort.
And maybe it's someone who isn't involved in the program.

Just because Bohl recruited someone does not mean they are the answer. He is in his first run as an FBS head coach at a school that has less than stellar recent history, and has had 1 full recruiting class and about 1 month of another.

Aaron Young facebooked his way onto the team. Some people at times questioned whether Austin Fort was even the best QB on his high school team.

This team lacks talent at the position. Coffman may be a good quick fix for a team who has a ceiling of 7 wins.

This is quickly turning into Glenn 2.0
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote:I think the kid from Cali can play
Aaron Young?
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

BeaverPoke wrote:
laxwyo wrote:I think the kid from Cali can play
Aaron Young?
I think Allen is from Cali too, but could be mistaken. And he's probably a better prospect than Young
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

Josh Allen. I thought Aaron Young was at a CC in NY before here. Rivals has him from a CA CC
W-Y, Until I Die!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote:Josh Allen. I thought Aaron Young was at a CC in NY before here. Rivals has him from a CA CC
High school in CA, CC in NY
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

BeaverPoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:

Screw. That.

And maybe it's someone who isn't involved in the program.

Just because Bohl recruited someone does not mean they are the answer. He is in his first run as an FBS head coach at a school that has less than stellar recent history, and has had 1 full recruiting class and about 1 month of another.

Aaron Young facebooked his way onto the team. Some people at times questioned whether Austin Fort was even the best QB on his high school team.

This team lacks talent at the position. Coffman may be a good quick fix for a team who has a ceiling of 7 wins.

This is quickly turning into Glenn 2.0
That is very well put, Aaron Young literally facebooked himself onto the team. I really do feel that he caught the Wyoming coaches in a real position of need and advertised himself to the point of being offered a scholarship. Frankly I never see Young being anything but a back-up and maybe never being more than a 3rd stringer. I asked myself, if Aaron Young was such a stand-out JC Sophomore QB why did the coaches recruit another JC Sophomore QB? Josh Smith's recruitment showed me that they did not feel comfortable with Aaron Young. Josh Smith will probably be redshirted this year, so he will have 3 years left. Remember how much the back-ups played last season? Virtually nothing and I don't see anyone behind Cam playing this season unless he gets hurt. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the two redshirt freshmen QB's moves to another position. It looks like the coaches are looking at some really talented freshman to come in this coming year.

I do not agree that this is quickly turning into Glenn 2.0, as Joe was never able to recruit a QB that could lead him to a championship, and frankly I see two QB's on the roster now (Cameron and Smith) that were better than any QB Joe was ever able to recruit.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

PotatoCreekPete wrote: I do not agree that this is quickly turning into Glenn 2.0, as Joe was never able to recruit a QB that could lead him to a championship, and frankly I see two QB's on the roster now (Cameron and Smith) that were better than any QB Joe was ever able to recruit.
Karsten Sween was a Top 25 QB coming out of HS according to Rivals. Dax Crum was a 4-star JC QB. Glenn could recruit the talent, he just couldn't develop it.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:
PotatoCreekPete wrote: I do not agree that this is quickly turning into Glenn 2.0, as Joe was never able to recruit a QB that could lead him to a championship, and frankly I see two QB's on the roster now (Cameron and Smith) that were better than any QB Joe was ever able to recruit.
Karsten Sween was a Top 25 QB coming out of HS according to Rivals. Dax Crum was a 4-star JC QB. Glenn could recruit the talent, he just couldn't develop it.
That, and our WR group under Glenn was questionable at best. Undeveloped QBs and maybe one of three or four WRs worth their salt to throw to, was what screwed Glenn and made us one deminsional.
Smith leaving early didn't help Bohl in the slightest and made us extremely weak at the QB, but we had talented WRs for Kirk to go to. Bohl has shown that he can get some top notch WRs, Murphy and the kid from Neb. And Bohl is shoring up the drop off at QB that was left when Smith decided to leave.
I don't see a Glenn 2.0 at all here. This group of coaches are also showing that the OL is a priority.
Bohl was given a train wreck on both sides of the ball when you really look at it. And I think he is doing a good job of overhauling this group. But like any overhaul, it will have kinks.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Kansas of course you don't see Glenn 2,0 here, you see Nick Saban 2.0