Gameday!

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Anyone know, besides tailgating, what are the events going on saturday before the game?

I.E. What time is the band marching, what time is the team leaving the hotel, etc.

Were headed over and want to take it all in. Have been going to games my whole life and always show up right at kickoff. Want to experience the experience to its fullest.

Thanks!
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

I sure as hell hope that is a one-time deal for Bohl addressing fans/alumni/donors on a gameday Saturday BEFORE the game??? One would hope his focus would be 100% on preparing his team. This may not be by his choice, but whoever decided that the head football coach do that before a game..........
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

calpoke25 wrote:I sure as hell hope that is a one-time deal for Bohl addressing fans/alumni/donors on a gameday Saturday BEFORE the game??? One would hope his focus would be 100% on preparing his team. This may not be by his choice, but whoever decided that the head football coach do that before a game..........
Agree...very stupid idea, just ridiculous. "friendly ladies" is in full swing once again. This poop rivals Karsten Sween making appearances at the Brown & Gold on game-days a few years back.

As much as some of our fan-base loves to hand-job coaches and such, I would rather they stay on away, and stay on task. You want to get a HJ from a major donor (or vise versa), do it in f-word March.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
NebraskaCowboy
Ranch Hand

McPeachy wrote:
calpoke25 wrote:I sure as hell hope that is a one-time deal for Bohl addressing fans/alumni/donors on a gameday Saturday BEFORE the game??? One would hope his focus would be 100% on preparing his team. This may not be by his choice, but whoever decided that the head football coach do that before a game..........
Agree...very stupid idea, just ridiculous. "friendly ladies" is in full swing once again. This poop rivals Karsten Sween making appearances at the Brown & Gold on game-days a few years back.

As much as some of our fan-base loves to hand-job coaches and such, I would rather they stay on away, and stay on task. You want to get a HJ from a major donor (or vise versa), do it in f-word March.
Hate to burst your bubble, but by that time, the ten minutes he's going to spend talking to everyone isn't going to make a difference in the game. But that ten minutes could easily get him a couple of million dollars for facilities which we all know has a huge impact. I don't know if you've ever watched Coach Bohl on TV but he's a football guy, not a personal relations guy. He'll be in and out and hopefully raise a few big bucks. Plain and simple.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

NebraskaCowboy wrote:
McPeachy wrote:

Hate to burst your bubble, but by that time, the ten minutes he's going to spend talking to everyone isn't going to make a difference in the game. But that ten minutes could easily get him a couple of million dollars for facilities which we all know has a huge impact. I don't know if you've ever watched Coach Bohl on TV but he's a football guy, not a personal relations guy. He'll be in and out and hopefully raise a few big bucks. Plain and simple.
+1
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

NebraskaCowboy wrote:
McPeachy wrote:

Well put, NC, agree 100%.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

NebraskaCowboy wrote:
McPeachy wrote:

He is a football guy - but have you ever listened to one of his speeches live? I've watched 70 year old men stop and say "Wait wait wait - i have 4 years eligibility - I should walk on now."

I'd worry more if a 10 minute speech 2 hours and 15 minutes ahead of kickoff affected his game plan. It won't. That said - UW - come on! Let the guy coach. Leave the speeches to the weekdays.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

WyoBrandX wrote:I'd worry more if a 10 minute speech 2 hours and 15 minutes ahead of kickoff affected his game plan. It won't. That said - UW - come on! Let the guy coach. Leave the speeches to the weekdays.
It's probably not a 10 minute speech. More like 2 max.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

NebraskaCowboy wrote:
McPeachy wrote:

Just curious, but myself, coming from a coaching background, could one of the naysayers on this topic enlighten me as to what else he should be doing with his time here?
I'm sure he and the other coaches have devised a gameplan almost two or three weeks ago, probably 60 hrs per week, if not more. I'm sure they've brought the gameplan to the team a week or more in advance. I'm sure they've pounded that gameplan into those kids heads. I'm sure video has been watched, play-by-play, for hours on end. They've run the drills and they've run through there plays hundreds of times. I'm sure Bohl has discussed with his coaches the ends and outs of every play and every defensive scheme. Now it's his coaches jobs to get the guys set for the game within each position.
Iteneraries usually go like so:
Team breakfast
Team meeting
Individual position meetings with positions coaches (Bohl doesn't need to be here for that, this is probably when he will be giving his speech)
Changeout/ tape up...sometimes a last minute coaches meeting when players are with trainers.
Offensive/defensive team meetings with Coordinators
Calistinics, stretching, lite drills on the field.
Another brief overview of the game plan by coaches
Head coach gets the final word...

Game time!!!

There are some other small things in there, but it gives you the general idea. So what else do you think he needs to be doing?
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

kansasCowboy wrote:
NebraskaCowboy wrote:
McPeachy wrote:

Just curious, but myself, coming from a coaching background, could one of the naysayers on this topic enlighten me as to what else he should be doing with his time here?
I'm sure he and the other coaches have devised a gameplan almost two or three weeks ago, probably 60 hrs per week, if not more. I'm sure they've brought the gameplan to the team a week or more in advance. I'm sure they've pounded that gameplan into those kids heads. I'm sure video has been watched, play-by-play, for hours on end. They've run the drills and they've run through there plays hundreds of times. I'm sure Bohl has discussed with his coaches the ends and outs of every play and every defensive scheme. Now it's his coaches jobs to get the guys set for the game within each position.
Iteneraries usually go like so:
Team breakfast
Team meeting
Individual position meetings with positions coaches (Bohl doesn't need to be here for that, this is probably when he will be giving his speech)
Changeout/ tape up...sometimes a last minute coaches meeting when players are with trainers.
Offensive/defensive team meetings with Coordinators
Calistinics, stretching, lite drills on the field.
Another brief overview of the game plan by coaches
Head coach gets the final word...

Game time!!!

There are some other small things in there, but it gives you the general idea. So what else do you think he needs to be doing?
Indeed, in all likelihood by the time Saturday morning comes around, what's done is done when it comes to game preparation/planning.

However the team still has to find the right mindset to prepare themselves to go out on the field and kick ass. Speaking to some white-hairs in the Rochelle Center seems counter-productive to that. Yes, in terms of preparation by 11:45 AM on Saturday I would hope the team is prepared, but if there is an even 1% chance of this detracting in some way of the mental preparation of the team then why do it? Too often Wyoming football in the last 20 years has been plagued by a lack of mental toughness and a tendency to fold the tent and roll over.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:
WyoBrandX wrote:I'd worry more if a 10 minute speech 2 hours and 15 minutes ahead of kickoff affected his game plan. It won't. That said - UW - come on! Let the guy coach. Leave the speeches to the weekdays.
It's probably not a 10 minute speech. More like 2 max.
So 2 minutes is going to yield UW millions? Not sure there is value in the 2 minute thing - but that is a side topic to the topic.
Dear Karma,

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

kansasCowboy wrote:Just curious, but myself, coming from a coaching background, could one of the naysayers on this topic enlighten me as to what else he should be doing with his time here?
As far as the question presented, having some coaching experience as well (although not at your level, and not for a living right now and hopefully ever):

I would say that my first game, my home opener, with a relatively new team and many new "parts"...it would be crucial to stay the course and not stray from my systematic approach to striving for victory and demanding that all hands are on deck. I would sink every minute into making sure I touched everything that needed to be touched. I would set the standard & expectation level right out of the gate. Especially, as I referred, to the starting and second team freshman.

If the Super Boosters want the HJ that bad - after the game would be even more appropriate, and afford 'ol Bohly a lot more than just a few minutes of face time, to pry the millions from their wallets.
Dear Karma,

TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Does anyone really think this isn't something that Bohl agreed to do/was happy to do. Burman isn't going to force him to do anything he doesn't want to do.

I won't be there so I don't care and even if I was I wouldn't care if the coach showed up but to think that Bohl is being forced to come and talk to people when all he wants to do is focus on the kids and the game is ridiculous.

It says something about the cowboy walk too. I imagine during the cowboy walk through the building coach will stop and say a few words so he won't even be leaving the teams side during it.
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

Cowboy walk is scheduled for 11:50am
wyofan4life5
Ranch Hand

If he needs more time to gameplan on saturday then we are in trouble. All the work should be done by then.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

wyocowboy2014 wrote:Cowboy walk is scheduled for 11:50am
Perfect. Thanks for all the responses people
Dutchnation
Ranch Hand

SEC and B10 coaches interview on Espn Gameday all the time before games. I don't see this as any different. Cowboy fans...we need to drum up more excitement for cowboy football in our state. Just look at the stands in november. empty and pathetic. The passion for the cowboys in our state is not high...and I think it's a good attempt to try and drum up more excitement about the program....and coach Bohl. He is the man...we are all trusting in him. He needs to be a legend in our state...a celebrity if you will.

seriously??? you are worried that 10 minutes of facetime 2 hours before the game is going to affect how our boys play? please...seriously...it's people that believe this that got our awesome loud cannon taken away.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

wyofan4life5 wrote:If he needs more time to gameplan on saturday then we are in trouble.
No poop, right? Gameplan was probably in place last week! :rofl:
Dear Karma,

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Dutchnation wrote:SEC and B10 coaches interview on Espn Gameday all the time before games. I don't see this as any different. Cowboy fans...we need to drum up more excitement for cowboy football in our state. Just look at the stands in november. empty and pathetic. The passion for the cowboys in our state is not high...and I think it's a good attempt to try and drum up more excitement about the program....and coach Bohl. He is the man...we are all trusting in him. He needs to be a legend in our state...a celebrity if you will.

seriously??? you are worried that 10 minutes of facetime 2 hours before the game is going to affect how our boys play? please...seriously...it's people that believe this that got our awesome loud cannon taken away.
Not all of them interview before games - that is a fairly broad brushed comment. First game, 17 starting freshman, home opener, etc. I would think the higher ups could have picked a better time / game. Then again, as somebody else mentioned, probably just a pit stop on the fabulous cowboy walk ... not a sit down rah-rah speech.

And yes, we need to drum up more excitement. Like Joe Glenn excitement?! Well, no...like winning excitement. There is your passion, there is your excitement. Comes with winning. Or Joe Glenn. And definitely with both. :D

And I would largely disagree (on your last point)...it is those blue haired rich-assed MF'ers in the Gateway center on Saturday, that have fat wallets, that got our awesome loud cannon taken away. (Well, not really, it was supposedly hurting our poop scoreboard / sound system that got it taken away).
Dear Karma,