Craig Bohl: Simply an illusionist?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

Can anyone tell me why Bohl didn't bring any juco kids in to fill the voids with all the damn freshmen?????

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
mesabison
Buckaroo

NDSU now has Klieman after Wyoming sniped Bohl from Fargo
. Klieman has kept the winning ways going in Fargo.
MAYBE IT'S NOT THE COACH THAT SUCKS IN WYOMING. MAYBE IT'S WYOMING THAT SUCKS
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

mesabison wrote:NDSU now has Klieman after Wyoming sniped Bohl from Fargo
YOU SUCK
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

Boom
W-Y, Until I Die!
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:
YOU SUCK
Or maybe Bohl built a SUSTAINABLE program? And there lies the difference.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

kansasCowboy wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
YOU SUCK
Or maybe Bohl built a SUSTAINABLE program? And there lies the difference.
Exacty.....Bohl built what they have now and time will tell if the new coach can continue that success.......see DeRuyter at Fresno.

Wyoming has been successful in the past and can very well be again in the future. Far more successful that NDSU with multiple top 20 finishes, etc. Some of those rankings were a long time ago, but they aren't made up. I was in Laramie during the late 80's to early 90's and again in 95'96'. During that time we had a top 10 team at one point, a couple top 25 finishes and all was good. Let Bohl build the program back to that point....or at least give him the needed time.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

JimmyDimes wrote: Wyoming has been successful in the past and can very well be again in the future.
I disagree with you here, at least in the modern era of football. We have yet to demonstrate that we can adjust to the new FBS system. I'm sorry, but 1996 or whatever doesn't mean squat.
JimmyDimes wrote: Let Bohl build the program back to that point....or at least give him the needed time.
I agree with this; we should be able to have a pretty good indication in 2 years of where this is heading. I disagree with the 6+ year stuff. We should see substantial progress well before that.

Nonetheless, I do think the current signs are nothing but concerning. It very well could be that they are just growing pains and mean nothing, but they are not positive signs yet (a few players withstanding).
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

last time we played we beat you ......and the last time I checked nobody from this board is posting poop on yours so kindly f-word OFF.

One more thing...our poop school bought your coach....so think about that prick.
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

SnowyRange wrote:
Whats REALLY sad is that we're debating which coach with win percentage around 43% is the best of this century, and calling a 6-6 team the best of the last 15 years.
No kidding.

UW football is under .500 over the last 50 years...which is why I can't get too worked up about Bohl tearing it down to the foundation to start over. I couldn't care any less if we go winless this year, if that's what it takes.

This poop of trying to go 6-6 -- interspersed with 3-8 and 5-7 seasons -- to limp into another money-losing bowl has got to stop.

Nobody's gone all-in like this around here before, at least as far as I remember, and I find it refreshing.
Post of the year. Bravo!
FargoBison
Buckaroo

When Bohl took over at NDSU he had a program that was built to play the style that he wanted. It was a program loaded with talent and he could hit the ground running. Not sure I get why people are comparing Bohl's time at NDSU to what he is doing now. The circumstances are very different.

I think he just needs sometime, in a rebuild situation like this a coach really needs three years to see if he can turn things around. Bohl did have a few lean years at NDSU, he made some adjustments in recruiting and within his staff and got things turned around.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

VisorHair wrote:Can anyone tell me why Bohl didn't bring any juco kids in to fill the voids with all the damn freshmen?????
Same reason Shyatt "Shys" away from JUCOs. He wants to build something long term. Not a quick fix.
You never know how it will all play out. We've had JUCOs come in that have never panned out too.
Our DE Faaui was this years...
yopaulie
Ranch Hand

VisorHair wrote:Can anyone tell me why Bohl didn't bring any juco kids in to fill the voids with all the damn freshmen?????
2 parts wisdom, 1 part foolishness:
1. Doesn't believe in bringing in very many JCs. Disrupts the long term culture and impacts the younger players.
2. Takes away scholarships he wants to give to 4-5yr players.

3. He incorrectly thought his staff could coach up these young players (and positional changes) much more quickly than is the case.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

kansasCowboy wrote:
Same reason Shyatt "Shys" away from JUCOs. He wants to build something long term. Not a quick fix.
You never know how it will all play out. We've had JUCOs come in that have never panned out too.
Huh? Granberry, Hankerson, and Cooke were all Juco's.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

bladerunnr wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:
Add Dalton and Marshall this year too...
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:
He has stated that he prefers HS players. Hankerson was a transfer from Alabama and Granberry was a transfer from North Florida or somewhere around there. Both were D1 players not JUCOs. COOKE was a JUCO. Marshall this year is a JUCO. Can you name any others in his five years?
Bohl never said NO to JUCOs he just prefers HS. Which is why he has still had a few JUCOs.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

kansasCowboy wrote:
bladerunnr wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:
He has stated that he prefers HS players. Hankerson was a transfer from Alabama and Granberry was a transfer from North Florida or somewhere around there. Both were D1 players not JUCOs. COOKE was a JUCO. Marshall this year is a JUCO. Can you name any others in his five years?
Bohl never said NO to JUCOs he just prefers HS. Which is why he has still had a few JUCOs.
Hayden Dalton. And juco or D1 transfer doesn't matter. They're both designed to come in and provide a quick fix. So you can't exclude granberry or hankerson
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

cali2wyo wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:
bladerunnr wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:
Hayden Dalton. And juco or D1 transfer doesn't matter. They're both designed to come in and provide a quick fix. So you can't exclude granberry or hankerson
Well, I guess if that's the case enter in Cam Coffman.

So what is it that you are actually arguing? He gets JUCO and other D1 transfers. I guess he just doesn't do I enough for your liking.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

cali2wyo wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:
bladerunnr wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:
Don't bother Kansas with facts. He says anything to fit his narrative. Like comparing Bohl's taking this job to starting a new business. The 2 endeavors have nothing in common, of course. Bohl coming in to take over an existing program is nothing like starting a new business. He's the new ceo of the company trying to right the ship. The product is the same, the game is the same, and the talent pool is the same. We hope he is going to recruit better talent and get them to perform better on the field. There's nothing "new" about it. Kansas will say anything to justify why it should take umpteen years to produce something on the field that's remotely competitive.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

FargoBison wrote:When Bohl took over at NDSU he had a program that was built to play the style that he wanted. It was a program loaded with talent and he could hit the ground running. Not sure I get why people are comparing Bohl's time at NDSU to what he is doing now. The circumstances are very different.

I think he just needs sometime, in a rebuild situation like this a coach really needs three years to see if he can turn things around. Bohl did have a few lean years at NDSU, he made some adjustments in recruiting and within his staff and got things turned around.
Fargo...when you mention adjustments in staff and recruiting, what did Bohl do? A lot of folks are nervous that he will be too loyal to less than good assistants and too bull headed when it comes to running his system even if it isn't working. What was your read from his time at NDSU? What adjustments did he make? Did he hesitate to pull the trigger?
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

So he doesn't want to bring in 2 year guys that can play right away just to save a couple schollies to throw at a kid who may play 3 years down the road.. and is totally ok with those kids either A) rotting on the bench or B.) getting clobbered on the field because they're 165 lbs.

Got it!

"We are young." "We are the youngest team."

Well bring in some JUCO's! f-word your 4 or 5 schollies saved for depth which you may use in the future.

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl