Cowboy Wrestlers Face-off in Brown/Gold Dual

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 34 times

LARAMIE, Wyo. - from Wyoming Athletics:

The University of Wyoming wrestling team opened the 2007-08 season with the traditional "Brown and Gold" intrasquad matches Friday night in the UniWyo Sports Complex. The night included 21 matches to help determine starting spots for Wyoming's upcoming home dual against Nebraska.

"Tonight was the first step in determining our starting ten guys," UW head coach Steven Suder said. "This is always a tough night for our guys because it is their first time this season they have had to make weight and wrestle. They have been competing against each other for almost two months now, they know each other's moves and there is a lot of pressure on them. But we saw a lot of good things tonight."

This year's intrasquad utilized two mats with which Suder and his staff could evaluate their team. This enabled the Cowboys to each wrestle two matches to try and earn a spot. After another week of practice, the Pokes will be ready to face national powerhouse Nebraska.

"I am happy with a lot of the things I saw tonight," Suder continued. "There are things you don't see in the practice room that you see when the guys wrestle under the lights that need to be addressed. I am really encouraged by the fact that no one is taking a backseat; every guy is competing for a starting spot and really working hard. I am excited to get our guys against another team and see what we can do."

Wyoming will open up their home dual season Friday, November 9th, as they take on the Huskers from Nebraska. The match will begin at 6 p.m. in the UniWyo Sports Complex.

Results:

Mat 1
174 - Kyle Morrow def. Alex Rieder by decision, 7-3
133 - Cory VomBaur def. Brandon Gifford by decision, 8-1
149 - Cody Chipperfield def. Clay Sondgeroth by decision, 6-3
165 - Eric Coxbill def. Dane Fuhrman by decision, 8-2
125 - Matt Lowry def. Cody Grant by decision, 2-1
174 - Dan Barrone def. Alex Rieder by decision, 6-4
141 - Cole Dallaserra def. Chase Smith by decision, 4-2
133 - Brandon Gifford def. Garrett Desmond by decision, 3-1
149 - Carter Downing def. Cody Chipperfield by decision, 11-2
165 - Eric Coxbill def. Shane Onufer by decision, 2-1