Mountain West Tourney moving?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

i seriously think it should between 3 venues, somewhere in LV, Denver and ABQ, maybe Salt Lake once in a great while too, LV is fun to go to and i get it, but other schools should have a chance to not have to travel as far, have bigger home crowds etc..
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

stymeman wrote:i seriously think it should between 3 venues, somewhere in LV, Denver and ABQ, maybe Salt Lake once in a great while too, LV is fun to go to and i get it, but other schools should have a chance to not have to travel as far, have bigger home crowds etc..
I would have agreed with you before they did the tournament in Denver. Now I think it's pretty clear that Vegas is where the tournament should be. I'd like to see it moved out of the T&M, but it definitely needs to stay in Sin City.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

The MWC tournament will NEVER leave Las Vegas nor should it. Leaving the TMC to a new venue could happen but most likely will not. WHY? $$$$$$$$ End of story.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the old WAC let the reg season first place team host the conf tourney? Incentive to win the league. I'm not saying we do that, but what about regional venues? If it's SDSU/ SJS/ FSU we have the tourney in a neutral venue in Cali. If UNLV/UNM / Nev we have it at a neutral venue in Vegas. If WYO/ CSU/ AFA/ BSU/ USU we have it in Denver or SLC?
It moves to that region and is incentive to win the league.
Vegas is good, but I am one who does not like having it at a schools current venue, no matter how neutral you make it.
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

I know Shy hates it being at the TMC but the MWC goes head-over-heels to remove any and all UNLV affiliation for the Rebels..

- Complete new floor
- the "BYU Wall"
- removal of all banners
- removal of all insignia
- can't use home locker rooms

They stay in hotels prior just as any other program, too.

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

VisorHair wrote:I know Shy hates it being at the TMC but the MWC goes head-over-heels to remove any and all UNLV affiliation for the Rebels..

- Complete new floor
- the "BYU Wall"
- removal of all banners

I understand that, but, I'm sure if the conf tourney was played in Laramie and the league did exactly the same thing to the AA, WYO players would still feel at home.
Your still walking into a building you know more than any other. You have outside support all around (WYO fans/students everywhere outside of the venue.) And those bright yellow seats all around you. You still have a sea of red seating all around at the T&M.
How well did the UNLV teams fare in Denver? Were they equally as good?
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

kansasCowboy wrote:
VisorHair wrote:I know Shy hates it being at the TMC but the MWC goes head-over-heels to remove any and all UNLV affiliation for the Rebels..

- Complete new floor
- the "BYU Wall"
- removal of all banners

I understand that, but, I'm sure if the conf tourney was played in Laramie and the league did exactly the same thing to the AA, WYO players would still feel at home.
Your still walking into a building you know more than any other. You have outside support all around (WYO fans/students everywhere outside of the venue.) And those bright yellow seats all around you. You still have a sea of red seating all around at the T&M.
How well did the UNLV teams fare in Denver? Were they equally as good?
They've won it 3 times in Vegas and honestly were the best team in the MWC at that time. (2000, 2007, 2008)

It was only in Denver for three years and the attendance was atrocious. Utah, UNM, SDSU won the tourneys there. UNLV was in the finals once.

It's not like the tourney is in San Jose and SJSU plays lights out because it's at their arena .. UNLV has had very good teams since the MWC's inception, right? Naturally they are going to do well home or away depending on seeding. The MWC has been very top heavy for years. UNLV has only made the finals twice since 2010.

This isn't an issue lol

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

kansasCowboy wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the old WAC let the reg season first place team host the conf tourney? Incentive to win the league. I'm not saying we do that, but what about regional venues? If it's SDSU/ SJS/ FSU we have the tourney in a neutral venue in Cali. If UNLV/UNM / Nev we have it at a neutral venue in Vegas. If WYO/ CSU/ AFA/ BSU/ USU we have it in Denver or SLC?
Vegas is good, but I am one who does not like having it at a schools current venue, no matter how neutral you make it.
How would they book a place a week in andvance? thats a lot of coordinating in a week. Or do they book 3 places well in advance and cancel the others? Logistical nightmare and not only that but a attendance nightmare. I would prefer to know where I am traveling months in advance and be able to find a good plane and hotel deal. The attendance in Denver showed the mistake of moving it from vegas.
If we get it in another location in Vegas awesome but we probably won't due to money and that is ok. They really do go out of there way to not make it a home court advantage for UNLV and it isn't like they dominate there.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

TSpoke wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the old WAC let the reg season first place team host the conf tourney? Incentive to win the league. I'm not saying we do that, but what about regional venues? If it's SDSU/ SJS/ FSU we have the tourney in a neutral venue in Cali. If UNLV/UNM / Nev we have it at a neutral venue in Vegas. If WYO/ CSU/ AFA/ BSU/ USU we have it in Denver or SLC?
How would they book a place a week in andvance? thats a lot of coordinating in a week. Or do they book 3 places well in advance and cancel the others? Logistical nightmare and not only that but a attendance nightmare. I would prefer to know where I am traveling months in advance and be able to find a good plane and hotel deal. The attendance in Denver showed the mistake of moving it from vegas.
If we get it in another location in Vegas awesome but we probably won't due to money and that is ok. They really do go out of there way to not make it a home court advantage for UNLV and it isn't like they dominate there.
The WAC tried to give it to the regular season champ to host. We even had it in Laramie once. Attendance is terrible in that situation since nobody has ample time to plan. It will never leave Vegas, just hope it moves from the T&M. If we are stuck with the T&M, oh well, still won't complain about going to Vegas. No better place for fans to plan a trip.
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Wyolie Coyote wrote:
TSpoke wrote:
The WAC tried to give it to the regular season champ to host. We even had it in Laramie once. Attendance is terrible in that situation since nobody has ample time to plan. It will never leave Vegas, just hope it moves from the T&M. If we are stuck with the T&M, oh well, still won't complain about going to Vegas. No better place for fans to plan a trip.
As I recall, if you won the regular season, you got to host the tournament the following season. I remember the year it was in Laramie. I was working at Snowy Range as a ski Instructor. I got to teach the Hawaii cheerleaders to ski.
wyopig
Ranch Hand

COS Cowboy wrote:
Wyolie Coyote wrote:
TSpoke wrote:
As I recall, if you won the regular season, you got to host the tournament the following season. I remember the year it was in Laramie. I was working at Snowy Range as a ski Instructor. I got to teach the Hawaii cheerleaders to ski.

The Hawaii cheerleaders were surprised to learn that learning to ski involves a lot of ass grabbing by the instructor.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

wyopig wrote:
COS Cowboy wrote:
Wyolie Coyote wrote:
TSpoke wrote:

The Hawaii cheerleaders were surprised to learn that learning to ski involves a lot of ass grabbing by the instructor.
Well see now, even MORE incentive to win and have it at home!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

i do remember skipping class in 1991 the last time the tourney when we were in the WAC, even camped out for tickets, I went to every game and remember sitting next to UTEP and New Mexico fans, they were nice and we all had a good time
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

stymeman wrote:i do remember skipping class in 1991 the last time the tourney when we were in the WAC, even camped out for tickets, I went to every game and remember sitting next to UTEP and New Mexico fans, they were nice and we all had a good time
New Mexico fans are some of my favorite fans in the conference. I've always had really great interactions with them, both home and at their house. They are super supportive when we're in ABQ for postseason play, too. (NCAA tournament 2002, New Mexico Bowls)