OT: Missouri Football players on strike

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Black football players at the University of Missouri have joined calls demanding the ouster of the president of the state's four-campus university system over alleged inaction against racism on campus.

<snip>
It's not clear what repercussions, if any, could come to the football players if they refuse to play in Missouri's next football game against Brigham Young University on November 14. Some have called for the students to lose their scholarships.
</snip>
Ironic- BYU is up next. The situations are completely different though.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/08/us/missou ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

This has been a really interesting story to follow.. read yesterday that Pinkel's staff is supporting the players, then read today that an anonymous player said the coaches and some of the players are pissed about halting practice. Slightly conflicting reports.. but quite fascinating. Forcing the president to resign probably won't do much to help this, but they need to fix this most ricky-tick.
ImageImageImageImage
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Not to get off on politics, because heaven knows that and religion are hot topics with people, but I've read a lot about this and I think they are going about it the wrong way. We live in a hypersensitive time. Protests are more common than employment. Many professing "free speech" and demanding "their voice be heard" are the very ones who get offended when others are doing the same.

Missouri obviously has some issues to work out, but protesting the game really won't prove anything.

Homer Simpson has the solution:
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

MrTitleist wrote:This has been a really interesting story to follow.. read yesterday that Pinkel's staff is supporting the players, then read today that an anonymous player said the coaches and some of the players are pissed about halting practice. Slightly conflicting reports.. but quite fascinating. Forcing the president to resign probably won't do much to help this, but they need to fix this most ricky-tick.
Yeah I read that too. Sounds like half the team is pissed at the other half. Bad situation for Pinkel to be in. I wonder how many lose their scholarships in a very quiet fashion at the end of the year.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

It also seems the latest sign was the nazi swastika, made from human feces, put on the side of a dorm.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

fromolwyoming wrote:It also seems the latest sign was the nazi swastika, made from human feces, put on the side of a dorm.
They're just too easily offended... TIC

:popcorn:
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke

Sounds like the guy leading this whole thing is a social justice warrior who spends more time protesting than he does going to class. Here is a good article on the whole thing.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... ons-110815" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Not sure I'd called that an "article", but there are some points.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke

more of an op-ed I guess. I use the term article pretty loosely these days as there isn't much distinction between opinion and news anymore.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

That we can definitely agree on. The president has just resigned.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

I have no opinion about the underlying controversy, but I do enjoy seeing college athletes recognizing their bargaining power.
djm19
WyoNation Addict

PokeOLoco wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:It also seems the latest sign was the nazi swastika, made from human feces, put on the side of a dorm.
They're just too easily offended... TIC

:popcorn:

I m not condoning it. The swastika is over the top. That isn't okay. I am simply saying that boycotting football game isn't the answer.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

How is any of this the university's fault?
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Not trying to take attention away from the underlying issue of whether or not racism existed and whether or not it was dealt with properly, but kudos to the football team for organizing themselves and getting what they want (regardless of the validity of their demands). Like was mentioned above, these kids can have quite a bit of bargaining power. If a portion of a University's football team can get a University President to resign in less than a week, I'm interested to see if there is any strategies created among athletes to push for other things (coaching changes, new equipment, money, etc.). If only a few players on a single team can organize a successful protest, how soon before they coordinate with conference mates to influence the commissioner? Or with other D-1 athletes to influence the NCAA?

Buckle up, folks. This is gonna (potentially) be a wild ride.
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
djm19
WyoNation Addict

I bet if we only knew a fraction of what takes place in college athletics, we would be shocked. Literally, it is probably like politicians.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

I have the same opinion as some others on here. I tried reading up about what is going on at MU but reading one article doesn't really tell the whole story I'm sure so I don't really understand everthing. But if things got bad enough for everything that happened to happen then I applaud the team for taking a stance.The athletes are students first and if they were able to do something to take a stand and help their fellow students then good for them. They have a platform and have the right to use it.

Even more than that I applaud the coaching staff and the rest of the team for supporting them even if they didn't want to as some reports were. Could you imagine the difference in the Black 14 scandal if the coach had supported the players instead of kicking them off.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Pres resigned.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr- ... 01915.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

I guess I don't understand what the president is supposed to do. He can't control what knuckleheads say when they drive by in a truck.
HellBass
Buckaroo

A little context...I'm faculty here at Mizzou, and the resignations of leadership were about far more than race on campus. There have been a number of issues that have been percolating here in Columbia over the past several months...the racism issue is simply the straw that broke the camels back.

So, for those of you who think this is merely a race issue that the football players got involved in, you are mistaken. However, the football team has interestingly demonstrated just how much power they have over things on a college campus these days.
Powder River, Let 'er Buck!