Is this the worst Wyoming team ever?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
NebraskaCowboy
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote:
stymeman wrote:Yes I totally agree, there's really only 1 person that's worthy on this team at a D1 level and that's Mr Brian Hill, everyone else seems to be stuck in the FCS level, I'm glad Allen got some snaps this year for next year, but I truly hope we can win a couple of MWC games or else the writing is on the wall!!!!
You couldn't be further from correct. At least half the players are D-1 caliber right now and the other half will be D-1 caliber with some weight training and birthdays.
Definitely agree with you Lander. There are some decent players out there who are extremely young. While a lot are guys who wouldn't be able to play P5 football, there are D-1 football players. Hill could have his choice of schools and I think a lot of schools would be willing to take Wingaard off our hands. This year has been rough but we only have one more weekend to suck it up. And for those who don't want to, basketball has their first test of the season tonight so go follow that.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
jessejames02 wrote:Anything less than 4 wins next year and Bohl is gone, right? That's three years of recruits, some are upperclassmen, hardly anything left from the previous staff. Four wins and enough people can pass it off as progress.

My prediction, 2017 we go bowling. Same in 2018 followed by a bad year in 2019 then a huge 7 win season and two sub 6 seasons when we will finally can our AD.
I'm not sure on win/loss next year. A lot of that depends on schedule and what the other teams in conference are like. I think clear increased defensive and offensive rankings, increased percentage of 3rd down conversions, and better preparation for opening quarters are one thing. The other is point differential; I do not expect us to be blown out of every game or hardly any game. I would certainly hope we win more than 1 game, but I can't really think of a concrete number.

If this train is still completely derailed next season and there has been little progress, then I think Bohl's seat is pretty damn warm. If there is undeniable progress (i.e. you don't have to be a fanboy to see it), then Bohl deserves more time regardless of some exact number of wins.

By year 4, if we don't go bowling (preferably 7+ wins), then I'll really question if this is the right direction.

I think an Urban Meyer-like coach would have us at 7+ wins in year 3 but there aren't that many Urban Meyers. Hell, maybe Bohl will have us there next year, no way to know.
That is a very good response and I agree with everything you said here.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Vic's one win team had the following schedule:
Auburn
Texas A&M
Central Michigan
Nevada
New Mexico
San Diego State
Air Force
Nevada-Las Vegas
Brigham Young
Utah
Colorado State

Bohl's one win team (I don't think they have much of a chance against UNLV) and their schedule:
North Dakota
Eastern Michigan
Washington State
New Mexico
Appalachian State
Air Force
Nevada
Boise State
Utah State
Colorado State
San Diego State
UNLV

Comparing the two schedules I will go out on a limb and say Vic definitely had the tougher route to go in 2000. While it's almost impossible to compare the two teams, I have to say this year's team is probably the worst team in modern history, and top 3 in all time history. If Bohl's plan was to destroy and then rebuild, I would say he accomplished his first goal of complete and utter destruction.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 68 times

It's not even close. This team, with the exception of Nevada, Air Force, and Washington st., was completely boat raced by the second quarter. If not for garbage time, this would be by far the worst offense I've seen in my 40 years of watching Wyoming football. Vic's worst team would beat this team by 30+.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

It's hard to say which of the VIc teams and this one are the worst.

Vic's teams had a way of making every opposing offense look great. Lon Sheriff walked out of War Memorial looking like Heisman candidate back in the day. And Vic's stellar record as a DC has nothing to do with him being a qualified head coach or he'd be a HC somewhere today, 15 years later.

I would say that Vic had more upperclassmen, and they quit on him. Bohl got that out of the way over the summer.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

i agree Vic's teams were just as bad, i'm hoping next year we can be in games more often, as I truly didn't see anything get better except when i went to the Washington St game I was proud of that performance, since then NO how NO way!!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Worst team no, Youngest team yes.

Worst coaching staff not even remotely close, This staff took over a complete and total offensive and defensive train wreck.
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

Wyo2dal wrote:Worst team no, Youngest team yes.

Worst coaching staff not even remotely close, This staff took over a complete and total offensive and defensive train wreck.
Why do people keep saying this? What on earth qualifies the roster when CB got here as a train wreck? Why did that roster win games then? And if you say coaching won the games, then by no means was there a train wreck.

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

VisorHair wrote:

Why do people keep saying this? What on earth qualifies the roster when CB got here as a train wreck? Why did that roster win games then? And if you say coaching won the games, then by no means was there a train wreck.
I don't get the "youngest" but not worst argument. Nobody is saying the team isn't young, but that doesn't mean it can't qualify as also the worst team. The team has gotten smacked around by the softest non-conference schedule UW has likely ever had and the softest Mountain West Conference ever. Youngest and worst are not mutually exclusive. It can be both. I would argue it is. I don't have much hope for next year outside of a safety who is forced into making 15 tackles a game because our defensive lineman and linebackers are pancaked on every play.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 130 times

VisorHair wrote:

I've wondered about this too. DC's last class was 11 on O and 11 on D if I remember correctly? I thought both of his last few classes were fairly balanced and not terrible on the talent side.

Attrition is a different problem than roster inherited. I'd like to see the break down of this.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

FWIW, here is one 2014 preview with some thoughts on the roster....

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/4/8/558807 ... ule-roster" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
VisorHair wrote:

I've wondered about this too. DC's last class was 11 on O and 11 on D if I remember correctly? I thought both of his last few classes were fairly balanced and not terrible on the talent side.

Attrition is a different problem than roster inherited. I'd like to see the break down of this.
http://wyoming.247sports.com/Season/201 ... ll/Commits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One thing I notice looking at that, a poop ton of JCs. And only a few of those are still here. The rest graduated (due to being JCs) or left the program.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote: http://wyoming.247sports.com/Season/201 ... ll/Commits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One thing I notice looking at that, a poop ton of JCs. And only a few of those are still here. The rest graduated (due to being JCs) or left the program.
I didn't keep up with each one of those, but it highlights exactly what I'm talking about. If they were recruited in 2013, then that means year 1 is 2013 (I assume) and year 2 2014 (i.e. last year) so lost them. We still had 12 sign that should be here.

Again, attrition is a different matter.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

What happened to all these guys: http://wyoming.247sports.com/Season/201 ... ll/Commits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I mean, I get a little thin because of about 8 JC guys in the 2013 class, but it wasn't like there was some huge deficiency in recruiting numbers.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Some of those I think left while DC was still here.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

VisorHair wrote:

Because it is true. With the youth comes being undersized and new to Bohl's system. I'm not saying that during the offseason that something magical will happen with the youth & undersized problem, but we do have some coming off redshirt, another year of experience, and some new good sized recruits that may produce 1 or 2 like Wingate that will be impact players. We also have Josh Allen returning.
The one thing I remember about DCs defense was that they were always ranked right around 120 out of 124 teams nationally, so Bohl didn't inherit much there, and his OL was always so porous that Brett Smith was always running for his life. I think we won because of Brett Smith, not because of DC.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
NebraskaCowboy
Ranch Hand

Go look at the list of Slick Dave's recruits from 2012 and 2013 and tell me that the issue doesn't lie right there. Those guys are the juniors and seniors that should be leading this team and half of them aren't even on the roster. While there are a few exceptions in each group, those recruiting classes are a dumpster fire. And it may be a little early to tell, but compared to those two classes, Bohl's classes are blowing them out of the water. Give him two more recruiting classes and progress will be obvious.
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

This season has been tough, and that's an understatement. Tough on the eyes, the heart, the soul, tough to watch most weekends.

I'll stand by what I have originally forecast. We'll be better next season (markedly better at QB) and the offense will gel more consistently.

Defensively I'm not too sure of yet, I can only hope we have some guys step in next year and begin to emerge...anything has to be better than this season's debacle defensively.

Another strong recruiting class by Bohl and his staff in a few months -- continued work in the weight room, and an improved team next season that is much more competitive than this year's model.

I expect Bohl to have this program contending for a MWC Championship by the 2018 season -- and a program that can and will sustain for years to come afterward.

If that doesn't happen then I'll admit that I missed on Craig Bohl.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

VisorHair wrote:

Obviously you didn't watch any of the games in DC's final year.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Wyo2dal wrote:
VisorHair wrote:

Obviously you didn't watch any of the games in DC's final year.
Or has a terrible memory.