Gameday thread: UW vs MTST Game 1

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Gonna be hard to keep defending this team when the smallest guy on the floor gets multiple offensive rebounds which lead directly and explicitly to us losing. That team we should have ran out of that gym. That was a bad loss
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

If someone would have told me before the season that Wyoming would score 82 points, with Adams having 36, and we would lose..........oh well, it's only 4 games in, so let's see what happens.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

People are already pissy about football. This could be doomsday for attendance at basketball games. People are sick of watching losing. Been doing that since September.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

2 things killing us: No rebounds and only one player showing any consistency scoring. I was as high on this team as any coming in to this season and the crash down to earth has been brutal. I called out someone for saying 14 wins is reasonable. If we can't fix these two issues 14 May be a stretch...
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:2 things killing us: No rebounds and only one player showing any consistency scoring. I was as high on this team as any coming in to this season and the crash down to earth has been brutal. I called out someone for saying 14 wins is reasonable. If we can't fix these two issues 14 May be a stretch...
Yeah. I thought when people kept saying we have a lot of depth this year they may be somewhat surprised because the talent over all is still too young. I think next year is the year you will see a huge jump in the "depth" department.

As far as this year unless we figure out the rebounding part it will be pretty tough and I am sure we all want to know what is up with Marshall.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

Yep, this team has already done a wonderful job of killing attendance for the rest of the year by racking up multiple bad losses early on. Seems football has carried over to basketball, do we see a Schroyder type number of wins this season at 10 total?

I never thought we would drop this far off even with a young team. The lack of defense, lack of rebounding, and so many offensive sets of just jacking up a 3, makes for very frustrating games to watch.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

WyomingAg wrote:Yep, this team has already done a wonderful job of killing attendance for the rest of the year by racking up multiple bad losses early on. Seems football has carried over to basketball, do we see a Schroyder type number of wins this season at 10 total?

I never thought we would drop this far off even with a young team. The lack of defense, lack of rebounding, and so many offensive sets of just jacking up a 3, makes for very frustrating games to watch.
I never in a million years thought we'd see a Shyatt team play such porous defense. We play none! I was so high on them because I figured we'd have even average defense. A team with average defense beats Montana state by 20. This is tough
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
WyomingAg wrote:Yep, this team has already done a wonderful job of killing attendance for the rest of the year by racking up multiple bad losses early on. Seems football has carried over to basketball, do we see a Schroyder type number of wins this season at 10 total?

I never in a million years thought we'd see a Shyatt team play such porous defense. We play none! I was so high on them because I figured we'd have even average defense. A team with average defense beats Montana state by 20. This is tough
Well we are the 4th youngest team in the NCAA . Even with some young talent having that young of team will make it tough and also losing 4 senior starters will always be a major adjustment the following year.

Our main problem is no big men down low to either take up space or block shots and it costs us on the defensive end and with rebounding.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 155 times

So Marshall didn't play at all?
W-Y, Until I Die!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

laxwyo wrote:So Marshall didn't play at all?
Nope was in warm-up gear the entire game.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

I wish a reporter or someone in the media would ask whats up with Marshall already. The rare glimpses we've had of him I've really liked what I've seen. I think this year he would be our 2nd best player if he played. What the hell is the deal?!?!?
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

Wyoming fans are pathetic. One of the youngest teams in the nation played a team to the wire on their court and you all poop all over them. I personally think this team will be damn good once they figure it out. And I will attend every goddamn game happily.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Aaron wrote:Wyoming fans are pathetic. One of the youngest teams in the nation played a team to the wire on their court and you all poop all over them. I personally think this team will be damn good once they figure it out. And I will attend every goddamn game happily.
I don't think anyone really poop all over the team. I guess some of the attendance comments probably aren't the best but I think some are just frustrated with the football team and are letting it carry over to the basketball team even though they shouldn't. After all the basketball team did win the MWC tourney last year and they are young this year so i agree it will take some time. We might not see the full fruits of the labor put in until next season. I do think they will get better this year though but we might not see it in the record.

I will be watching every game myself for sure though. I like watching the progress and the youngsters get better.

Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Aaron wrote:Wyoming fans are pathetic. One of the youngest teams in the nation played a team to the wire on their court and you all poop all over them. I personally think this team will be damn good once they figure it out. And I will attend every goddamn game happily.
Much like the Football team not allowed to be young and lose or they automatically suck lol.
rich22
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 6 times

This game was brutal to watch but I see a young team getting a little better each game. The rebounding has sucked all year and the offense actually is coming along but the most disappointing aspect of this team is the lack of quick close outs on guys that are obviously shooting lights out. Its honestly like we don't have a scouting report or our guys forgot it when the ball is tipped off. The Hall kid (I think that was his name) continually had open shots with our defenders standing 4 to 5 feet away with their hands down. Also, the other guard had one move where he would drive right and then spin to his left and every time we would look lost on the spin move like we had never seen it before. It was frustrating to watch especially if you like defense.

All in all this was a bad loss and as frustrated as I get with this team, they are getting better and I would bet Shyatt is working their butts off to try to fix the issues.

side note: I think its funny that people are saying they are tired of losing all of the time and I am as guilty as any, but the basketball team WON the Mtn West Tournament last year. I guess football has left the fan base down and out. I think this bball team will at least compete (keep games close and win some) unlike the football team where every game was over by half time.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

I am not sure anyone poop all over them. I also never heard anyone say they weren't going to any more games. I'll be at every home game this season, just as I was last year, and every year since shyatts returned. I also see a young team getting better each game. A team that yes took a home down to the wire. But that home team wasn't even a top 2/3 MWC team. It's just frustrating seeing our team get overmatched by a team that wouldn't go .500 in our conference.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

Gotta say I think your way off base here man. Everyone posting during the game was rooting for the Pokes to win. EVERYONE that posts on this board is a hardcore Pokes fan or a troll. Yeah we have Debbie Downers but how can we not? Especially when most of the board is much much more hardcore into football. I'm definitely taking a break from the board and the team for a bit. I need to focus in on my life and hell anyone should at anytime when its necessary. It's a rebuilding year and very much like the football team, they aren't gonna quit and will improve. Now Dino Yabba Dabba can finally chime in to say I told you so....lets just hope his book of revelation poop isn't true :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Wyoming fans are actually pretty passionate!

Will we poke fun at the Pokes and talk some poop to try to let off steam? You bet! Hell we might be saying nicer things then people in attendance. We also might all need each other because there aren't many Pokes fans on this planet bro. If the team reads this and gets pissed off...GOOD. They aren't my friends and I'll most likely never meet them but I'll always be rooting for them. They need some motivation. They especially need to find motivation on defense, in their diets, in the weight room, and in the class room. It ain't easy and we all know that. We might be a little harsh but hey we're just a bunch of jerk off sports fans so what's new. Do I agree with and like everyone on this board....NOPE. Welcome to life :coffee:

Still happy and grateful to have a place to talk Pokes. If people choose not to spend money to see this team rebuild who can blame them. Those trips are expensive and not everyone here is made of gold. If I lived in Laramie or near it I'd be at a lot of games, but I'm in the bay hoping for the day I can return to the new AA for win. It will come...... :rant:
Riding High!!!
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

They lost a boatload of leadership and inside presence after last season...exceptionally athletic, but oh so young. Transition season, won't win as many games as last year (obviously) but if compared to a stock they would be trending upward. Nice foundation in place and growing pains as they mature are inevitable. As I stated a short while ago if this team is fortunate enough to continue getting better as the year progresses and gets to the CBI I think it will be a major accomplishment considering their extremely youthful makeup. Respect, 'the process.'
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Wyo2dal wrote:
Much like the Football team not allowed to be young and lose or they automatically suck lol.
Yep....not tolerance...just results regardless of the situation. This team will improve throughout the season. You can tell some guys are still getting used to playing with each other, learning rolls, etc. Herndon looked a little more aggressive. James will be our 2nd leading scorer by conference time, but we'll have more scoring options than the past few years.

Need to figure out rebounding and improve the defense.....but those will come.

And yes, we are a young team. Only one senior and one junior getting any significant PT.....but I hope this changes as Marshall could be a very good player for us.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

They are going to suffer the brunt of the football team's woes. People want them to be a beacon of hope after a horrid football season. People are desperate for a win. It is what it is.