Cowboys pull out win vs. Colorado Springs

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 34 times

From Wyoming Athletics:

LARAMIE, Wyo. (AP) - Brandon Ewing scored 18 second-half points to help lift Wyoming to an 87-63 victory over Colorado-Colorado Springs in the Cowboys' regular season opener Saturday night.

Ewing scored 11 straight points over a five-minute period midway through the second half as the Cowboys built a 54-44 lead. His third three-pointer highlighted a 16-2 run that extended the advantage to 75-51 with 3:17 remaining.

The Mountain Lions pulled within 75-58 after Bryan Winkel's three-pointer capped a 7-0 UCCS run, but the Cowboys scored 12 of the final 17 points to seal the win.

Ewing finished with 20 points on 7-of-12 shooting. Brad Jones added 15 points and eight assists, and Ryan Dermody had 14 points and 11 rebounds.

Tomaul Hawkins led UCCS with 18 points, and Nic Fuller added 12.

A pair of three-pointers from Eric Platt and Travis Bunker capped a 12-0 Wyoming run that put the Cowboys up 14-4 midway through the first half.

Fuller scored five straight points during a 7-0 UCCS run that pulled the Mountain Lions within 28-22 with 4:36 to go before halftime, but the Cowboys answered with an 8-3 run of their own. Three UCCS free throws cut the Wyoming lead to 36-28 at intermission.
ImageImageImageImage
WyoCow85
Buckaroo

I attended this game, my thoughts:

First off, we looked much sharper then in the prior two exh. games, which is the way you would have it. That said, I know its VERY early, but this is just better basketball. I would predict at this point 9-7, 10-6, which is only a few games better than Mcclain's last hurrah, but we look like we will just be SO MUCH more consistent in the process. I dont think we are with the big boys at this point, which is probably BYU, UNLV, and possibly Utah who is up and coming, but I dont see the frustrating outcomes of last season which were sandwiched by an unpredicted stellar showing here and there. I dont see the @TCU or the @CSU laughers. That will come with better defense, and smarter offense. That said, this is still a team that will need Ewing and Jones to take over to some extent to get upsets against the big boys, and that right there will be the story of this season. The drama, or plot if you will. This is how the UCCS game played out as well. Very interesting. Tale of two halfs. 1st half... Shroyer basketball, lots of motion and passing, which resulted in strong post games from Nelson and Waddell, and great 3 point looks for Platt, Dermody, and Bunker. I believe we won that half by 7. 2nd half? Ewing and Jones basketball, pressing the ball and attacking the lane. 2 points a piece in the first half, and 18 and 13 respectively in the 2nd. We won that half by 17, although UCCS was very winded and flat towards the end. You'd like to think a balance would be great, but Im not sure how Heath sees it?
Positives:
---Platt looks GREAT! Looks much more comfortable on the floor, and was shooting well. Fits this offense perfectly.
---Nelson also looks much improved. He got bigger and is more aggressive in the post on offense. He towered above UCCS post players, but at 6'11'' he can play with any of the MWC giants as well if he continues to get stronger and more physical.
Negatives:
---Still unsure of how Jones and Ewing fit into this system.
---Besides Nelson, and to some extent Waddell, there really is no solid post presence. Taylor is athletic and talented, but not disiplined enough to ever be great in the post. Songondo looks to be the same old Benny. Linskens didnt see action, so we'll have to wait and see as to his ability.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I attended the game also, and I am a little disappointed in how Taylor is playing - he just doesn't look comfortable out there. I agree that Platt looks great. I can tell that Vandiver has been working with Nelson, but there is still work to be done. Nelson has a very good shot that is almost unstoppable. IMO, he needs to work on his footwork on defense and his rebounding. Before the game, Vandiver and Linskens were standing chest to chest and stretching their arms out and Linskens had the bigger armspan by a couple of inches (total) and I think he is a little taller too. Between Nelson & Linskens, I think we will be in good shape at the post with Waddell (I can't wait to see him gain experience) & Songondo. I think all these young men are going to get some excellent coaching. This team looked like it was really starting to gel in the second half.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

I didn't see the game but have tickets for the Denver game. But I was wondering if the "new" offensive scheme was not working toward the end of the game, and Wyo was behind, whether Shroyer would send out the dogs -- that is, let Brad, Brandon, and Taylor go out and play hard-nosed street ball.