12/5 WYO vs. Cal

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
rabphj123
Buckaroo

:coffee: :coffee:
Cosmic Cowboy wrote:
Mr.Large wrote:Washington and Lieberman are decent rec league players, but ...
Washington hit the 3 that helped push that game into OT. He had a bad game ending turnover but Adams missed the FT to win it too. Team effort was great. No need to throw guys under the bus. They played a top 50 team to the nuts.
Good game Pokes :thumb:
Proud of how this team is coming along.
:coffee:
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

Washington and Lieberman, gosh I wish they could contribute at a higher level. Having Grabau to finish at the line, we win going away!! Adams is a pure assasin, that ankle roll was a definite foul, he nails those free throws.....oh well we are improving at a rapid pace.I love Larry Shyatt.
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

After this game we pretty much just need to throw the entire team in a bucket of ice.
Riding High!!!
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

I gotta say I'm pleased with the progress from Ft. Lewis to now for the young guys. Good for them.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

BackHarlowRoad wrote:I gotta say I'm pleased with the progress from Ft. Lewis to now for the young guys. Good for them.
Hell YES!! After that Ft.Lewis game I'd have thought we'd have lost this one by 15-20 points. Ditto after the first MTST game. These guys have earned their stripes fast. If we can stay healthy we are going to be dangerous as this year progresses.
Riding High!!!
NebraskaCowboy
Ranch Hand

Was a hell of the game by the team. Shyatt is the man and out coached Martin by a mile. Cal out thugged us and I think was a big part of the ending. Man did those refs suck. Last thought, Barnes is still a long way from being more than a big body. Thought his play at times hurt us.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

NebraskaCowboy wrote:Was a hell of the game by the team. Shyatt is the man and out coached Martin by a mile. Cal out thugged us and I think was a big part of the ending. Man did those refs suck. Last thought, Barnes is still a long way from being more than a big body. Thought his play at times hurt us.
Yes, had DC had the ball in the same situations Barnes did tonight, he would've had 25 points and 6 and1's.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 242 times

Dang. Should have won. Josh Adams is a beast. On a court with maybe 3-4 NBA players or high-level pros he stood out the most by far.

Justin James reminds me of Marc Bailey so much. He will be very, very, very good. He is our best defender already. It was good to see him get a lot of minutes. Hope he continues to develop this season.

Herndon and Barnes battled their monsters down low pretty well. I was semi-pleased with those two. Wish we could have rebounded a little better.

JMac is a warrior.

Herndon, Adams, James and Jmac should almost always be driving to the hole when they get the ball on the perimeter.

This team is improving by leaps and bounds. Go Pokes!
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

If Cal were in the MWC, they would be a top 3 team this year (they are probably a top 3 team in the PAC12). I think this game illustrates that this young Wyoming team can play with anybody. If the Pokes hit 75% of their free throws this one doesn't even make it to overtime. These kids are learning at a rapid pace. Like the others have said, if they remain healthy, they will be a scary bunch come tournament time. Great effort today.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Very good energy level in the AA today. Adams was 5-11 from 3 and the rest of the team was only 2-12. That doesn't cut it against a good team at home.

I thought Barnes played pretty well against some superior talent today. He's going to get better and better. I agree with those who thought he should have been redshirted last year.

Adams is having to do too much. Herndon, Jmac, and James are going to have to step up and do more. Gorski barely played. We really missed his shooting today. Effort is good. Defense is improving. It will be exciting to see Shyatt work his magic on this bunch.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Adams is a complete stud.

The rest of the team is decent-good.

I like the team a lot and we will see them grow, and I am excited for some more winnable OOC games. We need to keep growing.

Looking towards the next couple years, we should be more rounded than this season (Adams and his minions) but we need someone like Justin James or Aka Gorski or Trey to grow as a scorer. We've all seen glimpses but having someone (or a couple someones) grow into a scorer would be huge for not only next year replacing Adams, but taking some more steps this season.

Liking the team this year though.
Already WAY ahead of the team that lost to frickin MTSU
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I was at the game yesterday - didn't hear what the announced attendance was, but I swear there were more there in the 2nd half than there was in the first half.
Barnes and JJ went to school yesterday, and I think they both learned a lot.
Gorkski is nursing a separated shoulder - per Shyatt's after the game comments.
Adams came down on somebody's foot and rolled his ankle.
Those officials - well, they had an agenda - we were trying to stop the clock with fouls at the end of OT, but the officials weren't having any of it. With all of our injuries and McManaman being totally exhausted, I don't think we had any gas left in the tank. This is where the rest of the team has to step up and take over - it didn't happen. It was a very physical game.
If we stay healthy, we will be tough to beat late in this season.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

I believe the attendance was around 6500 or so. Adams performance was legendary, especially how he gutted it out and performed after hurting his ankle. We really really could've used a Morris Marshall yesterday. For me personally that was about my only gripe from the game, came away pretty happy with how we played considering our team and the opponent. We were a missed free throw away from the win. Awesome game.
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

WYCowboy wrote:I was at the game yesterday - didn't hear what the announced attendance was, but I swear there were more there in the 2nd half than there was in the first half.
Barnes and JJ went to school yesterday, and I think they both learned a lot.
Gorkski is nursing a separated shoulder - per Shyatt's after the game comments.
Adams came down on somebody's foot and rolled his ankle.
Those officials - well, they had an agenda - we were trying to stop the clock with fouls at the end of OT, but the officials weren't having any of it. With all of our injuries and McManaman being totally exhausted, I don't think we had any gas left in the tank. This is where the rest of the team has to step up and take over - it didn't happen. It was a very physical game.
If we stay healthy, we will be tough to beat late in this season.
Yep
The cal coach complained the whole game while it all went his way. Hell he was allowed to interfere with the path of Cowboys on the court 2 times
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

what a fun game this was to go to, felt like a conference game, and they are really good they hardly ever miss, sure wish we coulda got it, but fun all the same
Cowduck
Cowpoke

I don't really have any x's and o's type insights into this game because that's not what the important takeaway is. What's important to me is that this was the gutsiest goddamn effort I have seen a Wyoming team put forth in a really long time. We've come a long way already from Adams being visibly pissed at his team in a press conference over perceived lack of hustle. Guys taking charges in big spots (and really taking the impact). Guys diving and scraping on the floor for loose balls. Guys putting in second, third, and fourth efforts on rebounds. Guys playing through injuries. Guys not named Adams taking and making big shots in crunch time. Our team absolutely left everything on the court and it was a goddamned joy to see in an early December non-conference game. This isn't about moral victories, this is about feeling good about our team identity and the buy-in we now have from the young players. This team is going to be fine.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Cowduck wrote:I don't really have any x's and o's type insights into this game because that's not what the important takeaway is. What's important to me is that this was the gutsiest goddamn effort I have seen a Wyoming team put forth in a really long time. We've come a long way already from Adams being visibly pissed at his team in a press conference over perceived lack of hustle. Guys taking charges in big spots (and really taking the impact). Guys diving and scraping on the floor for loose balls. Guys putting in second, third, and fourth efforts on rebounds. Guys playing through injuries. Guys not named Adams taking and making big shots in crunch time. Our team absolutely left everything on the court and it was a goddamned joy to see in an early December non-conference game. This isn't about moral victories, this is about feeling good about our team identity and the buy-in we now have from the young players. This team is going to be fine.
Very, very good post. All true and well said. What an effort from our team.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

Cowduck wrote:I don't really have any x's and o's type insights into this game because that's not what the important takeaway is. What's important to me is that this was the gutsiest goddamn effort I have seen a Wyoming team put forth in a really long time. We've come a long way already from Adams being visibly pissed at his team in a press conference over perceived lack of hustle. Guys taking charges in big spots (and really taking the impact). Guys diving and scraping on the floor for loose balls. Guys putting in second, third, and fourth efforts on rebounds. Guys playing through injuries. Guys not named Adams taking and making big shots in crunch time. Our team absolutely left everything on the court and it was a goddamned joy to see in an early December non-conference game. This isn't about moral victories, this is about feeling good about our team identity and the buy-in we now have from the young players. This team is going to be fine.
Excellent post. Game still gives me goose bumps! Does anyone know if we are holding Marshall out to try for a medical redshirt or something? I know a regular redshirt is already burned because he played in the first 3 games of the year, although outside of Bristol was just garbage minutes. I thought especially with being banged up against Cal, i.e. Gorski barely playing, Adams, McManamen, and James all tweaking ankles or knees we might see him if nothing else to be a body in place of injured guys. Kinda ticks me off that there's been essentially no info whatsoever on him, and it doesn't seem like anyone in the media cares or notices since the issue has never been brought up. Maybe he's just that far behind everyone else that he doesn't warrant time on the floor.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 242 times

FarmerPoke wrote:
Excellent post. Game still gives me goose bumps! Does anyone know if we are holding Marshall out to try for a medical redshirt or something? I know a regular redshirt is already burned because he played in the first 3 games of the year, although outside of Bristol was just garbage minutes. I thought especially with being banged up against Cal, i.e. Gorski barely playing, Adams, McManamen, and James all tweaking ankles or knees we might see him if nothing else to be a body in place of injured guys. Kinda ticks me off that there's been essentially no info whatsoever on him, and it doesn't seem like anyone in the media cares or notices since the issue has never been brought up. Maybe he's just that far behind everyone else that he doesn't warrant time on the floor.
Or no one in the media wants to make waves
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

FarmerPoke wrote: Kinda ticks me off that there's been essentially no info whatsoever on him (Marshall), and it doesn't seem like anyone in the media cares or notices since the issue has never been brought up.
Anyone on campus have him in class or see him and directly ask him?