Will Bohl hire a WR coach?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

I hear that Haug wants to stay as an on-the-field coach. I think he is fine as the recruiting coordinator, but I am thinking we need a true WR coach that understands the position.

What is the word on the street in terms of the coaching staff for next year?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

We need a real WR coach. The young WRs didn't develop like they should have.

I heard Marcus Harris just graduated. Maybe he would like the job?
Wicks
Blog Team
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Coach Bowl said a WR coach will be hired after the Bowl season.
castlerocker
Cowpoke

The staff should be more than aware of Marcus Harris after news of his recent graduation from UW.

By the way, "congratulations Marcus" for being a real great human being and father, besides being one of the best all time great WR's in the country.

Your graduation should show kids that it is important to develop your full potential, not just athletics.

In the summer when things are slow I like to play the archive of the Iowa State UW game where Marcus, Josh Wallwork, Joe Tiller and the rest of the pokes pulled out a close one. Very entertaining.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Congrats to Harris!

Though, not all former players make good coaches. Bouknight obviously does, but he's more the exception than the rule. And I don't know if Harris would want to get into coaching. Though having a Biletnikof Winner, All-American, and NCAA record setter back and closely associated to UW and around the current players wouldn't hurt.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

fromolwyoming wrote:
Though, not all former players make good coaches. Bouknight obviously does, but he's more the exception than the rule.
This is the second time I've seen this on here. Are you saying that just because you were a player doesn't automatically mean you'll be a good coach or saying that seldom do former players make good coaches? The vast majority of college coaches were players in college. The exception would be a coach that didn't play.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

I just read an article where Harris said his dream is to become a college coach. He's a high school coach in Minneapolis right now.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

WestWYOPoke wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
Though, not all former players make good coaches. Bouknight obviously does, but he's more the exception than the rule.
This is the second time I've seen this on here. Are you saying that just because you were a player doesn't automatically mean you'll be a good coach or saying that seldom do former players make good coaches? The vast majority of college coaches were players in college. The exception would be a coach that didn't play.
Just saying that what a player may know instinctively may not translate well when trying to teach kids that. And considering there are far fewer coaches than kids...

Not saying he would be a bad college coach. I'm also not saying he would be good. Merely saying that people should temper their otherwise grandiose expectations until proven. If he gets hired by Bohl as the new WR coach, I'd be quite willing to give him a well deserved chance, particularly to see if he can bring UW back to having some of the best WRs in the country again.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:I just read an article where Harris said his dream is to become a college coach. He's a high school coach in Minneapolis right now.
Didn't know that. Just looked him up, he's an assistant at a AAA (there are six 11-man classes) private school. The team went 3-7 this year, but won a section game.

Also the head softball coach at the school.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
wyopig
Ranch Hand

He's also developed D1 athletes at the WR position - currently one committed to Northwestern. That doesn't always mean that he's a good HS coach, but it's something.
wyofan4life5
Ranch Hand

get BOUKNIGHT!!!!
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

wyofan4life5 wrote:get BOUKNIGHT!!!!
Would love it but don't think there is any chance of it happening. At USU he is the passing game coordinator along with the WR coach and I doubt Bohl would give him that position too. ANd some reports last week were that Missouri was hiring Josh Huepple(sp?) the USU OC as their OC. Haven't heard anything officail but if that happened I bet there is a good chance USU would promote Bouknight to OC.

I would love to see Bohl pull out all the stops to get him but don't see it happening.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

TSpoke wrote:
Would love it but don't think there is any chance of it happening. At USU he is the passing game coordinator along with the WR coach and I doubt Bohl would give him that position too. ANd some reports last week were that Missouri was hiring Josh Huepple(sp?) the USU OC as their OC. Haven't heard anything officail but if that happened I bet there is a good chance USU would promote Bouknight to OC.

I would love to see Bohl pull out all the stops to get him but don't see it happening.
I think Boujnight makes like 65k a year. I don't think it would be too hard to pry him away.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote:
TSpoke wrote:

I think Boujnight makes like 65k a year. I don't think it would be too hard to pry him away.
According to the link in the thread about assistant coaches pay he makes 75k a year. Which is more than a couple of our assistants that I saw on the list with a quick glance(John Richardson and Guardie Hauge make in the 60's. So it appears that 75 is in the range that we spend on our position coaches too. So not sure if we would be willing to offer enough to make him leave. Esspecially with his goal of becoming an OC(passing game coordinator is a step in that direction) taking a step back to just WR coach wouldn't be good(assuming we wouldn't make him passing game coordinator)
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

$75k in Laramie on your 1st gig(probably) that's truly not an unliveable wage for sure
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

I see other programs hiring assistants. Why are we waiting until after the bowl season?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

LawPoke wrote:I see other programs hiring assistants. Why are we waiting until after the bowl season?
Our WR coach is the WR coach at Clemson, Jeff Scott. They just don't know it. :( :rofl:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

McPeachy wrote:
LawPoke wrote:I see other programs hiring assistants. Why are we waiting until after the bowl season?
Our WR coach is the WR coach at Clemson, Jeff Scott. They just don't know it. :( :rofl:
Hey now... "Loose lips sink ships!"
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Larawie
Ranch Hand

Western Michigan: Former Wyoming wide receivers coach Kenni Burns is the new running backs coach at Western Michigan, according to a report from SI. Yesterday, Mike Hart left WMU for the running backs job at Syracuse.

Yup, PJ Fleck is a clown.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

All the bowl games are over, let's get on with the show already. Hope we're fielding some good candidates.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.