AA exterior design

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
denverpoke
Buckaroo

Can someone post the new AA exterior design approved by the Trustee yesterday?? Thanks
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

Approval of Arena Auditorium Phase 2

BACKGROUND AND POLICY CONTEXT OF ISSUE:
In August of 2015 the BOT approved a schematic design for the exterior of the Arena Auditorium
Phase 2 Renovations, in November a revised set of designs was presented to the Board. As the
design progressed, there were a number of design developments that warranted another review by
the Exterior Design Advisory Committee. These changes were due to the following:
Restroom/ Concessions Design
The schematic design created concession stands and restroom areas to infill the existing Willett
East and Stadium entries that would be shallow enough to be concealed within the existing earth
berm that surrounds the Arena. As the design developed it became apparent that there was not
enough depth to fit the building program within the berm. It was also discovered that there would
need to be significant structural modifications to the existing ‘eyebrow’ that forms the current
entry. The design solution brought forward by the design and construction team was to create two
small building additions in these locations that protrude from the berm. These additions allow for
greater clearance within the restroom ceilings and also provide a flat roof to house exhaust fans
required for the concession stands and restrooms.

Commissary Addition
The schematic design proposed an addition to the SW corner of the Arena adjacent to the Campus
Entry. As the design developed the team encountered underground structural issues that made
building in this area cost prohibitive. The design and construction team worked on an alternate
solution to locate the commissary on the SE corner of the building adjacent to Field House North.
This design saved the project approximately $300K and located the addition in what is considered
to be a better solution aesthetically and functionally. This location allows the addition to be tucked
back in the corner between Field House North and the Arena. The design ties in with the adjacent
materials of Field House North and does not create an awkward bump out at the Campus Entry.
The proposed design also places the Commissary in a more functional location as there is an
existing loading area and an access drive for deliveries. If the Commissary were left in the original
location it would have required delivery trucks to drive on the sidewalk between the UniWyo
Gymnasium and the Law Building.

East Entry Modifications
As the design team developed the details for the limestone surrounds at the openings on the East
Entry they proposed a solution that created a cleaner detail at the corners of the entry. This design
allows a return wall at the corners of the entry as opposed to a pilaster that would have crowded
the arch. The proposed design is also more reminiscent of the Half Acre Gymnasium detailing on
which the design is based.

The Arena Auditorium Phase 2 Exterior Architectural Design Advisory Committee reviewed and
approved the revised exterior and forwarded the recommendation to the Facilities Contracting
Committee. The Facilities Contracting Committee met on February 15 and recommended
approval by the full board at their next meeting.

PRIOR RELATED BOARD DISCUSSIONS/ACTIONS:
• November 2012 – Board of Trustees approved the architect/engineering firm of By
Architectural Means of Cheyenne, Wyoming in association with Sink Combs Dethlefs of
Denver, CO for the Arena-Auditorium Renovation, Phase 1 project.
• May 2013 – Board of Trustees approved the Construction Manager at-Risk firm, Haselden
Wyoming Constructors of Casper, Wyoming for the Arena-Auditorium Renovation, Phase
1 project.
• November 2013 – Board of Trustees approved the Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP) for
the Arena-Auditorium Renovation, Phase 1 project.
• June 2014 - Board of Trustees approved amending the contract for Architect/Engineer
services on the Arena-Auditorium Phase 1 with By Architectural Means, P.C. to include
Architect/Engineer services for Phase 2 of the project.
• October 2014 – Board of Trustees approved the Construction Manager at-Risk firm,
Haselden Wyoming Constructors for the Arena Auditorium Renovation, Phase 2.
• August 2015 – Board of Trustees approved the exterior design for the Arena Auditorium
Phase 2.
• September 2015 – Board of Trustees received the revised exterior design for the Arena
Auditorium Phase 2.

WHY THIS ITEM IS BEFORE THE BOARD:
This item is for authorization by the Board of Trustees to approve the revised exterior for the Arena
Auditorium Phase 2.

ARGUMENTS IN SUPPORT:
Arena Auditorium Phase 2 Exterior Architectural Design Advisory Committee reviewed and
approved the revised exterior and forwarded the recommendation to the Facilities Contracting
Committee.

ARGUMENTS AGAINST:
None.

ACTION REQUIRED AT THIS BOARD MEETING:
Authorization to approve the revised exterior for the Arena Auditorium Phase 2.

PRESIDENT’S RECOMMENDATION:
It is recommended that the Board of Trustees of the University of Wyoming approve the revised
exterior for the Arena Auditorium Phase 2 to allow the remaining design and construction work to
proceed as scheduled.
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

Yay watercolor!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Liking what I'm seeing!!!!
davidwyo
Ranch Hand

I like it, it fits the other building designs on campus - wish there was more glass and openness, but it'll work.... just get it done ASAP, it will help with recruiting in my opinion.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

Are there any changes slated for the interior of the arena? (Hall of fame, boxes, replacing the upper seating)?
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

When do we get a glass dome so we can watch games under the stars?
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

LawPoke wrote:Are there any changes slated for the interior of the arena? (Hall of fame, boxes, replacing the upper seating)?
Some stuff is being done for concessions and bathrooms on that side. Nothing in the arena.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

elfletcho wrote:
LawPoke wrote:Are there any changes slated for the interior of the arena? (Hall of fame, boxes, replacing the upper seating)?
Some stuff is being done for concessions and bathrooms on that side. Nothing in the arena.
Good! If they let the seat count drop to sub 10k folks would be livid
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

whyoh wrote:Good! If they let the seat count drop to sub 10k folks would be livid
Some of us already are. 12,000 should have been the floor with the onus on the department and program to fill the additional seats.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

What is it, around 11K now?

That's plenty. We've never had regular demand for more that 10K tickets, so it's more important to focus on the fan experience and making it a loud and tough place to play for opponents.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

SnowyRange wrote:
What is it, around 11K now?

That's plenty. We've never had regular demand for more that 10K tickets, so it's more important to focus on the fan experience and making it a loud and tough place to play for opponents.
Thought we were around 13 now and the original plans had us down to around 11 after the second round. Now those plans have changed so I have no idea. Is everything gonna stay the same inside the arena. I think the seats need changed to match the lower bowl. But whatever.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Thought we were around 13 now and the original plans had us down to around 11 after the second round. Now those plans have changed so I have no idea. Is everything gonna stay the same inside the arena. I think the seats need changed to match the lower bowl. But whatever.
I don't know. I just looked at the UW site about the AA and got this:
Phase I of the updates was completed in the fall of 2014. The building still holds the largest indoor seating capacity in the state at 11,612.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

SnowyRange wrote:
Phase I of the updates was completed in the fall of 2014. The building still holds the largest indoor seating capacity in the state at 11,612.
Ok looks like you are right about that. Must have remembered it wrong.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 241 times

TSpoke wrote:
SnowyRange wrote:
Ok looks like you are right about that. Must have remembered it wrong.
They need to find some skinnier seats that match the ones in the lower bowl. I, too, don' t want to lose more capacity.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

You guys are weird
W-Y, Until I Die!
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

laxwyo wrote:You guys are weird
Who?
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

wonder if we'll ever hit 11,612 with this fan base, lol
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

stymeman wrote:wonder if we'll ever hit 11,612 with this fan base, lol
This is why I said, "weird".

Only fan base to worry about losing capacity when it's never filled. Hell, we cut seats out and still never gets close. I'd be on board if we're always selling out and people couldn't go to game. Must just be an ego thing. "We have xxxxx capacity in our basketball arena"
W-Y, Until I Die!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Now when do we put the Kenny Sailors statue out front?
ImageImageImageImage