BIG XII Expansion

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
KC_Cowboy1990
Buckaroo

If the Big XII and BYU can't come to an agreement because of BYU's religious concessions, do you think BYU tries to stay the course, dig in their heels, and continue trying to be the Mormon version of Notre Dame as an independent? Or can you see them be humbled enough to come back to the MW? BYU probably thought they would be a lot more competitive in basketball and albeit their football team has been okay, leaving the MW hasn't panned out for them. Or was the break-up way too messy for the other conference members to agree to it?
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

KC_Cowboy1990 wrote:If the Big XII and BYU can't come to an agreement because of BYU's religious concessions, do you think BYU tries to stay the course, dig in their heels, and continue trying to be the Mormon version of Notre Dame as an independent? Or can you see them be humbled enough to come back to the MW? BYU probably thought they would be a lot more competitive in basketball and albeit their football team has been okay, leaving the MW hasn't panned out for them. Or was the break-up way too messy for the other conference members to agree to it?
Wow. so much to reply to ....

The only way BYU will go to Big 12 is they need to make some serious concessions. The reason the MWC hates them is because they were haughty and arrogant. If they come into B12 with guns a blazing and a bunch of demands, Big12 will tell them to pound sand. I live in Utah and listen to sports radio for several hours a day. Word on the street is that BYU would make concessions on things like the TV deal, but Sunday play is not going to happen. If BYU wants in they will need to somehow strike a deal that they won't play Sundays. BYU is high maintenance, honestly. May not be worth it to the Big12.

As for the Mormon version of Notre Dame, as someone who is affiliated with the same religion as BYU, I pray that never happens. BYU doesn't represent all of us. If BYU sports are to be a gateway for sharing with people about the church, they get a big fat F. They are failing at it. Going from game to game, sport to sport, embarrassing the church along the way. If they announced BYU got rid of their sports program it would be a glorious day.

As for coming back to the MWC, BYU is too proud to do that. Also, many of the MWC feel they fooled us once, and won't be fooled again. MWC may consider it if BYU signed into a large contract and a massive buyout. I think they will waste into irrelevancy before crawl back to MWC.

With all that being said, the culture of BYU has changed in the past several months. It is very very obvious. Bronco was an idiot. He seemed like a nice enough guy, but he was playing ecclesiastical leader first, and football coach second. He was championing cheesy marketing crap like "Perfection on and off the field." During his tenure, I have never seen BYU football so into themselves. Kalani Sitake is 180 opposite of Bronco. He is a good dude and all football coach. I have met him several times. In fact, I was kind of bummed when he went to BYU because I respect and like him. I am hoping, being LDS myself, that Sitake can change the perception of BYU. He seems humble, and is very likable. I am hoping he tones it the hell down from where they have been
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
KC_Cowboy1990 wrote:Montana is historically relevant at the FCS level, large loyal fanbase, geographical makes sense, academic profile akin to most MW schools, and all UM would have to do is add like 5000 extra seats to their football stadium. But if UM's boosters and administration is not willing to take 1 step backwards to potentially take 2-3 steps forward, that's their prerogative. Don't gamble with scared money.
I've always thought that Wyoming has more in common with the Montana schools and the Dakota schools than they do with many of the schools in the Mountain West. This has nothing to do with the on-the-field product either, just how I view the institutions themselves from afar.

I know that Wyoming has a deep tradition with CSU and other current MWC opponents, and I understand the perception of "moving down" to team up with these schools could hurt fan support and other things but that's just my opinion. Just as a hypothetical, I think a conference with Wyoming, USU, AFA, UTEP, UNM, NMSU, Montana, MSU, NDSU, UND, SoDakSU, USD could be a really competitive regional league.

I know there will be some eye rolls and some angry retorts after this post, so let me have it.
Some are not like the others. The Dakots and Montana? You haven't been around long enough to say crap like this. I don't even know where to start. You and SDPoke and CUttslam should hang out and talk about this in private where no one else can hear you guys. embarrassing :thumbdown:
Vancopoke
Buckaroo
Been liked: 1 time

BYU gained relevance in the late 70's after Arizona State left the WAC. When they won their watered down title in '84, they really felt that they had arrived and could compete day in and day out with the big boys of college football. Still have that mind set from the 80's and 90's but in reality, they are not the program they were under Lavell Edwards.

In my opinion, no way the Big XII takes them. There is already one diva in the conference, Texas, and they came out yesterday and said they would welcome Houston as an addition. This leaves one more school as I would be surprised if they add three to go to 14.

Early leaders in the clubhouse are Cincinnati or one of the Florida schools. Have to keep West Virginia happy and adding BYU doesn't help for a number of reason.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:Some are not like the others. The Dakots and Montana? You haven't been around long enough to say crap like this. I don't even know where to start.
Again, this has nothing to do with the on-the-field products. I never said Wyoming needs to move down to FCS (because I don't believe that), so not sure why the hostility.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Vancopoke wrote:BYU gained relevance in the late 70's after Arizona State left the WAC. When they won their watered down title in '84, they really felt that they had arrived and could compete day in and day out with the big boys of college football. Still have that mind set from the 80's and 90's but in reality, they are not the program they were under Lavell Edwards.

In my opinion, no way the Big XII takes them. There is already one diva in the conference, Texas, and they came out yesterday and said they would welcome Houston as an addition. This leaves one more school as I would be surprised if they add three to go to 14.

Early leaders in the clubhouse are Cincinnati or one of the Florida schools. Have to keep West Virginia happy and adding BYU doesn't help for a number of reason.
Or Memphis has a lot of momentum as well
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:Some are not like the others. The Dakots and Montana? You haven't been around long enough to say crap like this. I don't even know where to start.
Again, this has nothing to do with the on-the-field products. I never said Wyoming needs to move down to FCS (because I don't believe that), so not sure why the hostility.
How else are we going to end up in a conference with the Dakotas and Montana?
KC_Cowboy1990
Buckaroo

LanderPoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:

Most likely scenario: The P5 schools decide to branch out on their own, tell the NCAA to suck it, and leave the rest of the schools to fend for themselves.

This is all doomsday hypothetical stuff though so take it with a grain of salt.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

LanderPoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
SDSU has a brand new stadium that's going to be pretty sweet, NDSU would love to move up, Montana is probably the most ready FCS school to move-up.. it's not out of the realm of possibility. Esp given the way that college football seems to be shaking out. I've heard one Big Sky coach say to boosters that he wouldn't be surprised if the Big Sky moved up (at least some of the members) to an FBS conference.
ImageImageImageImage
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

MrTitleist wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
SDSU has a brand new stadium that's going to be pretty sweet, NDSU would love to move up, Montana is probably the most ready FCS school to move-up.. it's not out of the realm of possibility. Esp given the way that college football seems to be shaking out. I've heard one Big Sky coach say to boosters that he wouldn't be surprised if the Big Sky moved up (at least some of the members) to an FBS conference.
I remember reading somewhere a couple of years ago (maybe more) that the NCAA put a moratorium on new conferences. I wonder what the status of that is.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

WYCowboy wrote:I remember reading somewhere a couple of years ago (maybe more) that the NCAA put a moratorium on new conferences. I wonder what the status of that is.
Only thing I can find is one that was from 2007 to 2011.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
KC_Cowboy1990
Buckaroo

No sense in speculating about other schools at this point. From what it sounds like, CSU is not going to get in the Big XII. I bet it's Cincy and Houston which, as a Kansas native, I would love to see the Jayhawks play Cincy each season.

Where does Wyoming go from here? From reading a few other topics in here, a lot of Cowboy fans seem displeased by the alleged apathy the athletic department has taken during this college athletics arms race but what could UW realistically do about it? It's hard to convince casual fans and boosters to dump money in a program that isn't a perennial 10-win team. Winning alleviates everything but it's easier said than done. This season is paramount for Bohl. I would hate to see Wyoming dump money frivolously into a hope and prayer like the sheep did, only to crawl back home with their tail between their legs.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Looks as if Houston's a lock with the Governor, Lieutenant Governor, and UT President all backing them.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
KC_Cowboy1990
Buckaroo

Wyovanian wrote:Looks as if Houston's a lock with the Governor, Lieutenant Governor, and UT President all backing them.

This is why I hate the Longhorns. The UT-System has directional schools up and down Texas but has never been able to find it's way to Houston. UT recently tried to purchase 250+ acres to build a new UT-directional school in Houston but UH had enough pull to keep the city from going along with it. Today the Gov. and UT President back Houston and coincidentally today UT finally is allowed to buy the aforementioned plot of land in Houston. This is why the other conference members can't stand Texas. If Houston ends up adding nothing to the conference, which by proxy means it hurts the conference, everybody suffers except for Texas.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

I hate the big XII now. Expansion talk sucks but looks like plenty of people like the subject. Can't wait till media days and start of camp! Let's win 10 games this year with one over Nebraska and who knows, maybe Wyoming could be that darling the country falls in love with and then get picked for the big XXII. Guy can dream right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

KC_Cowboy1990 wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:Looks as if Houston's a lock with the Governor, Lieutenant Governor, and UT President all backing them.

This is why I hate the Longhorns. The UT-System has directional schools up and down Texas but has never been able to find it's way to Houston. UT recently tried to purchase 250+ acres to build a new UT-directional school in Houston but UH had enough pull to keep the city from going along with it. Today the Gov. and UT President back Houston and coincidentally today UT finally is allowed to buy the aforementioned plot of land in Houston. This is why the other conference members can't stand Texas. If Houston ends up adding nothing to the conference, which by proxy means it hurts the conference, everybody suffers except for Texas.
Big 12 created a monster when they scrambled to keep Texas a few years back, and, in my opinion, it will ultimately be the undoing of the Big 12. If the PAC 12 expands to 14, which could be triggered by a 14 team Big "12", it will make UT and OU offers they can't refuse and the Big 12 can't match. The remainder of the Big 12 will be a shade above the G5 at that point.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

http://newsok.com/tramel-byu-has-been-r ... le/5510957

You all will LOVE this. Plus the comment section at the end is hilarious.

If BYU joins, there's going to be a brawl after a BYU-West Virginia game that'll make the 2015 Miami Beach Bowl (BYU-Memphis) brawl look like a cute country church picnic. :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Vancopoke
Buckaroo
Been liked: 1 time

The BYU faithful are totally delusional. Many people are confused that performance on the field is what this decision will be based on. Couldn't be farther from reality as BYU and Boise State have no chance. My understanding is football only is not really a consideration by the Big XII so BYU loses out.

The more I read about the expansion, not only will number of TV sets come into play but also the opportunity to move into the SEC and Big Ten markets for recruiting. The Big XII has been losing ground in Houston to the SEC (thanks to Texas A&M) so the University of Houston will be one addition. Ohio and Pennsylvania are huge recruiting areas for the Big Ten so I think the University of Cincinnati will be given serious consideration. If two more are added, the the selection will be from SEC recruiting areas such as Memphis, Florida (S. Florida or UCF) and oddly enough Tulane (Lousiana). The Big XII is in survival mode and will push east, not west.

Will the Big XII survive? Ultimately they are going to implode and the Pac 12 will be looking at four additions. Texas, OU, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech will be those four. Baylor along with the remaining schools will be kicked to the curb.

Just my two cents.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

Why does everyone think the PAC-12 wants to expand?

W-Y, Until I Die!
KC_Cowboy1990
Buckaroo

laxwyo wrote:Why does everyone think the PAC-12 wants to expand?

Yeah, I have no idea either. If anything, they could trim the fat and be better off without Wash St. and Oregon St. I think it's more of a domino effect assumption that when the Big XII collapses under the tremendous weight of the egos down in Austin, then the Pac-12 will expand by like 6 teams but I don't see how anybody in the Big XII fits the Pac mold. If anything, the two Oklahoma schools are shoe-ins for the SEC. Same culture. KU has already flirted with the Big Ten at one point, and Nebraska would stick their neck out for Kansas, and Kansas is an AAU research university. Had Nebraska not been AAU before 2011, they wouldn't have gotten into the Big Ten.

This is how I think things would shape up when/if the Big Bevo conference implodes

Big Ten additions: Kansas & Iowa State. Both AAU schools, both geographically make sense, both already have rivals within the conference, both money making athletic departments. KU and OU are on record of trying to leave the Big XII for the Big Ten back in 2010 but both schools decided to stay the course.

SEC: OU and Okie State for sure. Whether the SEC thinks TCU and Baylor would fit is a mystery. I could see the SEC take in TCU before Baylor though

ACC: West Virginia. Most heated rivalry school has is in the ACC; Pittsburg. ACC would take them in.

S-O-L: Texas Tech is on the outside looking in. They have had up-and-down years but never have been consistent at anything. Least appealing Texas school in the Big XII. Smallest fanbase and in the middle of nowhere. Kansas State, not very good academics in the macro sense. Take away Bill Snyder and their football program was among the worst in D1 history, ever. Basketball program can be good, has been good, but can't compete with the Blue Blood down the road. Probably Baylor should be here too. Not really sure what the fate would be for these schools. Rumor has it, KSU heard about KU flirting with the Big Ten and threw a fit. They even vowed to get Governor Sam Brownback involved.

Independent: SEC would never take in Texas. Too much of a diva that thinks it's God's gift to collegiate athletics. Texas too would not take the humbling shame of moving into the SEC where their athletic department would get exposed for being very vulnera.ble