Kegs and Eggs goes to a "no tackle practice"

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 35 times

As has been documented Dartmouth is experimenting with no tackling vs humans in practice, rather, tackling these fancy robots. Adam Kramer from Bleacher Report spent a week at Dartmouth taking this all in.
http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/the-fu ... -practice/
ImageImageImageImage
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Very interesting read. The success on the field surprised me and the reduced number of injuries.

I was always taught that you "can't replicate game situations." And whether tackling a robot or a person, it seems like it is true regardless. In their case, might as well tackle a dummy.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

This is such a new area - and alot of promise to it. They could put some VR glasses in helmets for the running backs and have them try to dodge imaginary defenses. You could scan game film and see how each player reacts and build a program to have your players try to execute. It could become a completely mental sport in practice - all hits on game days.

I'm sure the lack of hits after a while might cause people to slow down. Who knows.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

I have always preferred THE REAL THING.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I can't imagine improving as a player practicing like that. That's like a golfer hitting into a simulator all day but never actually practicing on the course. It just wouldn't translate to real game experience. Hasn't all of the ivy league gone to non contact practice? I guess that would put them all on equal ground.

We may see a day when all conferences implement this type of practice. But then again I don't see football existing in it's current form in the next 20 years.
I'm good for 3!
djm19
WyoNation Addict

Cornpoke wrote:I can't imagine improving as a player practicing like that. That's like a golfer hitting into a simulator all day but never actually practicing on the course. It just wouldn't translate to real game experience. Hasn't all of the ivy league gone to non contact practice? I guess that would put them all on equal ground.

We may see a day when all conferences implement this type of practice. But then again I don't see football existing in it's current form in the next 20 years.
It could be argued that it is working for Dartmouth....?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 621 times
Been liked: 255 times

Need the reps in a game-like situation. Heavy hitting drills like "bull in the ring" and "Oklahoma" need to be done less.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

I believe Dartmouth turned in one of the top FCS defenses last year. Defensive starters missed a total of five games all season.. granted, they don't play a full FCS slate, but ...
ImageImageImageImage
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

MrTitleist wrote:I believe Dartmouth turned in one of the top FCS defenses last year. Defensive starters missed a total of five games all season.. granted, they don't play a full FCS slate, but ...
But doesn't all of the ivy league have non contact practice? If that's the case it would put them all on equal ground, at least with practicing.

Not to put down the ivy league but I don't believe it provides the right proving grounds for this type of transition. Let's see a major conference do this and play teams in other conferences who do not institute a no contact practice policy.
I'm good for 3!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Good question, I don't know the answer to that.
ImageImageImageImage
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Cornpoke wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:I believe Dartmouth turned in one of the top FCS defenses last year. Defensive starters missed a total of five games all season.. granted, they don't play a full FCS slate, but ...
But doesn't all of the ivy league have non contact practice? If that's the case it would put them all on equal ground, at least with practicing.

Not to put down the ivy league but I don't believe it provides the right proving grounds for this type of transition. Let's see a major conference do this and play teams in other conferences who do not institute a no contact practice policy.
Don't blame ya. What they have going on is interesting. My high school coach always said it was 80% mental and 20% physical. I'm sure by this day and age its 50/50. When your mind knows when it is going to get hurt and can plan around it - that is a great thing.

When your body is pretty damn tough and can take a beating - that is a great thing.

For the last 30 years, we have been teaching everyone to get tougher and tougher. Then smarter and smarter. How can that be consolidated? Hopefully the results are the next few years of football.
djm19
WyoNation Addict

WyoBrandX wrote:
Cornpoke wrote:

Don't blame ya. What they have going on is interesting. My high school coach always said it was 80% mental and 20% physical. I'm sure by this day and age its 50/50. When your mind knows when it is going to get hurt and can plan around it - that is a great thing.

When your body is pretty damn tough and can take a beating - that is a great thing.

For the last 30 years, we have been teaching everyone to get tougher and tougher. Then smarter and smarter. How can that be consolidated? Hopefully the results are the next few years of football.
My coach taught me that it is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill, fifteen percent concentrated power of will, five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain..... wait.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

So I haven't been around much lately.....who are kegs and eggs?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

whyoh wrote:So I haven't been around much lately.....who are kegs and eggs?

Adam Kramer, he writes for Bleacher Report. Got his start w/ a blog called "Kegs and Eggs."
ImageImageImageImage
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

MrTitleist wrote:
whyoh wrote:So I haven't been around much lately.....who are kegs and eggs?

Adam Kramer, he writes for Bleacher Report. Got his start w/ a blog called "Kegs and Eggs."
Got it, thanks

disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

djm19 wrote:
WyoBrandX wrote:
Cornpoke wrote:

My coach taught me that it is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill, fifteen percent concentrated power of will, five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain..... wait.
Hell if I had only known it was 20% physical - I'd probably wouldn't have hurt so bad after games!
billings
Ranch Hand

Cornpoke wrote:

I think this is the first year of all Ivy league doing the non tackling in practice. Last year I think it was only Dartmouth and they were the league champs.

Smart kids going to dartmouth/Ivy and the pitch to parents about far fewer head injuries in their league is a great recruiting pitch and just smart.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 126 times

Does anyone here think, that in the next 20 years (or so) football as we know it will either not exist, or be so different it won't be recognizable?

And at that point, does it matter what conference you are in? - signed, TB
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 8 times

McPeachy wrote:Does anyone here think, that in the next 20 years (or so) football as we know it will either not exist, or be so different it won't be recognizable?

Absolutely. Being on the inside of the medical world of college sports, you can see the writing on the wall. Just in the last week, the NCAA put out their recommendations (not requirements) for football contact this season. They are recommending that once the season starts (I.E. after fall camp), players have no more than 2 days of contact a week; one of those days is game day obviously. My guess is in the next year or two this will become mandatory.

Also, for the last few years, there have been plenty of neurologists and pediatricians talking about the need to limit contact in smaller kids. I wouldn't be surprised if, in the next 10-15 years, football contact is banned until 14-15 years old. Obviously this would have to be an act of Congress, so we'll see, but I think it should be required, there is no need for 8-years olds to be bashing in to one another.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 156 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:
McPeachy wrote:Does anyone here think, that in the next 20 years (or so) football as we know it will either not exist, or be so different it won't be recognizable?

Absolutely. Being on the inside of the medical world of college sports, you can see the writing on the wall. Just in the last week, the NCAA put out their recommendations (not requirements) for football contact this season. They are recommending that once the season starts (I.E. after fall camp), players have no more than 2 days of contact a week; one of those days is game day obviously. My guess is in the next year or two this will become mandatory.

Also, for the last few years, there have been plenty of neurologists and pediatricians talking about the need to limit contact in smaller kids. I wouldn't be surprised if, in the next 10-15 years, football contact is banned until 14-15 years old. Obviously this would have to be an act of Congress, so we'll see, but I think it should be required, there is no need for 8-years olds to be bashing in to one another.
Hockey is no check until a certain age. I definitely think football will be going this route

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!