Will Wyoming over-commit for 2017 if both Hunter and Parker chose UW?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:I thought grey shirting was delaying your enrollment at the university so your eligibility is delayed by one year.
We need a grayshirt expert.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Grey shirting is a recruiting term that is not as commonly used as the term redshirting. A grey shirt is an incoming college freshman who postpones his enrollment in classes until the second term of his freshman year. This means they don’t take classes until the winter term. The NCAA allows college athletes five years to complete four years of eligibility after initial enrollment.
http://www.athleticscholarships.net/que ... y-shirting

So basically grey shirting means no classes, no practice, and no involvement with the team.

Doesn't make sense for our basketball team. I see him being a redshirt walk-on in 2017
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

Well maybe it's not grey shirting. It's Brown N Gold shirting!!!! This about that WYO WYO.
Riding High!!!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

cali2wyo wrote:Grey shirting is a recruiting term that is not as commonly used as the term redshirting. A grey shirt is an incoming college freshman who postpones his enrollment in classes until the second term of his freshman year. This means they don’t take classes until the winter term. The NCAA allows college athletes five years to complete four years of eligibility after initial enrollment.
http://www.athleticscholarships.net/que ... y-shirting

So basically grey shirting means no classes, no practice, and no involvement with the team.

Doesn't make sense for our basketball team. I see him being a redshirt walk-on in 2017
Yeah. I think you're right. It would be hard for me to believe that the team wouldn't have him practicing during that year off.

He must be a redshirt walk-on.

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

cali2wyo wrote:So basically grey shirting means no classes, no practice, and no involvement with the team.

One thing that Hunter said in that Gags piece that disputes that, though...

I won’t be considered an NCAA Division I signee

If he was a redshirt and practicing with the team, he would be considered a part of this class. Basically, I see this as being an abridged version of what Theo Dawson did, except Thompson won't be going on a mission. Thompson will be away from the team, though I expect him to spend plenty of time in the weight room during his year off.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:So basically grey shirting means no classes, no practice, and no involvement with the team.

One thing that Hunter said in that Gags piece that disputes that, though...

I won’t be considered an NCAA Division I signee

If he was a redshirt and practicing with the team, he would be considered a part of this class. Basically, I see this as being an abridged version of what Theo Dawson did, except Thompson won't be going on a mission. Thompson will be away from the team, though I expect him to spend plenty of time in the weight room during his year off.
Technically walk-on's don't sign a letter of intent, so he won't be a "signee" if we walks on in 2017.

There are two documents you sign on sign day: 1) Your national letter of intent (NLI) and 2) your financial aid agreement. Non-scholarship athletes do not need to sign an NLI, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t have something there to celebrate their achievement.
http://www.athleticscholarships.net/201 ... ng-day.htm
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 156 times

I may have mispoken in the other thread. It was never a grey shirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Whatever the set-up is, it sounds like he will pay his own way the first year, and get a year of practice before he takes the court in 2018.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 119 times

Cowboy Junky wrote:Whatever the set-up is, it sounds like he will pay his own way the first year, and get a year of practice before he takes the court in 2018.
That's the way I see it, too. He'll be a walk-on next year, then on full scholarship the year after.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 156 times

Still could be a game changing decision by Hunter if we score on that last schollie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
gopokes1399
Blog Team

That is unbelievable... what an unselfish move
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Yep. He's walking on the first season, and then goes on schollie after that.

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... 1f1db.html

National Champions 1943.

I do.
Cowduck
Cowpoke

Cowduck wrote:Can I ask how possible it is that Thompson qualifies for a Hathaway and that he accepts that route?
:whistle:
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

Cowduck wrote:
Cowduck wrote:Can I ask how possible it is that Thompson qualifies for a Hathaway and that he accepts that route?
:whistle:
Haha You Da Man!!! :D
evilpoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

4-star recruit: Hey coach, I want to play for your team!

Coach: That's awesome! :)

4-star recruit: And I'll walk-on the first year to make things easier.

Coach: :eek:

I don't know if this has ever happened before. You make suggestions like this on other boards and you're delusional.
wiley wapiti
Ranch Hand

evilpoke wrote:4-star recruit: Hey coach, I want to play for your team!

Coach: That's awesome! :)

4-star recruit: And I'll walk-on the first year to make things easier.

Coach: :eek:

I don't know if this has ever happened before. You make suggestions like this on other boards and you're delusional.
You make suggestions like this on THIS board and you're considered delusional....I feel like we just discussed this last week. lol