Big 12 Expansion

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

pokefanchaz7 wrote:In a perfect world a merger between American conference and mwc would be great and have four divisions and have the champions of each division play each other and then have a championship game between the top two teams with the winner getting a ny6 bowl or if ranking is high enough a playoff team.

I get it's the wac 2.0 but how exciting would that be? It seems to me we would be stronger together then separate. Basketball could be separate and make this a football only deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But you don't have to take a merger. Just take the best ones. I loved the big wac. Just had some wrong schools
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

My only concern is in a world where we sift out the lesser schools we may lose out.... our recent success in football has not been eye opening... at least for the right reasons.

C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

pokefanchaz7 wrote:My only concern is in a world where we sift out the lesser schools we may lose out.... our recent success in football has not been eye opening... at least for the right reasons.

We only get left out if this conference is the one that waits. Nm, unlv, Hawaii, San Diego are good for Wyoming. So is Boise, af, and csu. Dare the Boise CC to go anywhere. Make a good deal w BYU. MWC is in a power position right now. Once another's conference wants to take nm, vegas, or sdsu then worry. For now? Go on the offensive
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 241 times

pokefanchaz7 wrote:My only concern is in a world where we sift out the lesser schools we may lose out.... our recent success in football has not been eye opening... at least for the right reasons.

It's super vital that we have some meaningful football success in the next few years.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I wish we could do our own G5 playoff similar to fcs and have bowl games for the rest. We are fooling ourselves to believe that we are all equal at fbs level. Wyoming and Alabama are about as equal in football as United States and Mexico are as nations

C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Coeur d' Alene wrote:Make a good deal w BYU.
There's no such thing. They already tried shutting down the MWC with a backdoor deal once (they didn't just leave, they actively tried killing our conference as they did so).

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...

Their whining and [mormonified] cursing on the Internet after spreading rumor after rumor that the big announcement yesterday was to announce they were joining the Big 12 was awesome. Their claims that Big12 has no honor are hilarious given their recent history. I hope their program withers away slowly but surely. I want nothing to do with them again. Would it feel great to beat them? Of course. Would it be worth giving them a potential stepping stone to bigger and better things while they once again screw us over? Nope. Never.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Coeur d' Alene wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:
Coeur d' Alene wrote:Why does MWC want to wait for news? Wait for what? Wait to see yourself get devalued? Why not act first? Houston, BYU, Gonzaga, Wichita St. why not be a better conference when it's just sitting there for the taking
This might come across as small time thinking (some of this board fully expected CSU to get an invite because of their stadium), but no thanks. I would love to add a Gonzaga for bball, but they have a pretty good gig and are aligned with similar schools. Say no to BYU. They are caustic and we shouldn't try to get them to join the MWC. They wouldn't anyway due to many factors...all of which would include a tail between the legs. Witchita State is an option...but only for BBall. I wouldn't want their newly reinstated football program. Houston has it pretty good too. We can try..but again the travel would be a pain for them.

The big question, is what would expansion get the MWC?
So you agree that Gonzaga and Wichita would be good for basketball. You aren't really arguing that Houston and BYU wouldn't be great for this conference in football are you?
Houston would be a good addition, but BYU* is a cancer on anything they're affiliated with.

Gonzaga and Wichita State are non-starters. It would only dilute the conference if we added basketball-only schools. Hawaii's enough of a drag being football-only. I know Wichita is re-starting their football program, but the last thing our conference needs is a program coming off life support. IMO, the two best candidates for expansion would be Tulsa and Houston. Tulsa has value in both revenue sports and makes a geographical bridge to Texas.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I agree that Houston would be a great addition, however, there is no way we would get them. It makes zero sense for them to leave, the AAC makes just as much geographical sense as the MWC and is a much stronger conference.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote:I agree that Houston would be a great addition, however, there is no way we would get them. It makes zero sense for them to leave, the AAC makes just as much geographical sense as the MWC and is a much stronger conference.
"Much" stronger? Not really. They're stronger than the MWC this season, no doubt, but that is variable season to season. Agree, though, that Houston would be tough to get, all things being equal...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
Coeur d' Alene wrote:Make a good deal w BYU.
There's no such thing. They already tried shutting down the MWC with a backdoor deal once (they didn't just leave, they actively tried killing our conference as they did so).

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...

Their whining and [mormonified] cursing on the Internet after spreading rumor after rumor that the big announcement yesterday was to announce they were joining the Big 12 was awesome. Their claims that Big12 has no honor are hilarious given their recent history. I hope their program withers away slowly but surely. I want nothing to do with them again. Would it feel great to beat them? Of course. Would it be worth giving them a potential stepping stone to bigger and better things while they once again screw us over? Nope. Never.
I disagree. As a member of the church, I would want nothing more to see their sports programs die quickly and surely. The fans, the sports programs, all of it. Just go away. It does more damage than good.
cowboyz backer
Buckaroo

Coeur d' Alene wrote:
pokefanchaz7 wrote:In a perfect world a merger between American conference and mwc would be great and have four divisions and have the champions of each division play each other and then have a championship game between the top two teams with the winner getting a ny6 bowl or if ranking is high enough a playoff team.

I get it's the wac 2.0 but how exciting would that be? It seems to me we would be stronger together then separate. Basketball could be separate and make this a football only deal.

But you don't have to take a merger. Just take the best ones. I loved the big wac. Just had some wrong schools[/quot

We have 10 of those 16 back together again already. We split of 17 years ago and essentially ended up together again.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

Wyovanian wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:I agree that Houston would be a great addition, however, there is no way we would get them. It makes zero sense for them to leave, the AAC makes just as much geographical sense as the MWC and is a much stronger conference.
"Much" stronger? Not really. They're stronger than the MWC this season, no doubt, but that is variable season to season. Agree, though, that Houston would be tough to get, all things being equal...
According to the RPI, the strength of the AAC (25.91) is closer to the ACC (29.03), Big Ten (28.18), Pac-12 (27.88) and Big XII (27.46) than it is to the MWC (21.96). Meaning, we are further behind the AAC than they are every P5 conference except the SEC.

http://realtimerpi.com/college_football ... f_Men.html
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:
According to the RPI, the strength of the AAC (25.91) is closer to the ACC (29.03), Big Ten (28.18), Pac-12 (27.88) and Big XII (27.46) than it is to the MWC (21.96). Meaning, we are further behind the AAC than they are every P5 conference except the SEC.

Which is what I essentially said- they are stronger... THIS SEASON. Football doesn't end in January 2017, it just goes dormant until the next season begins...
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

Wyovanian wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:

Which is what I essentially said- they are stronger... THIS SEASON. Football doesn't end in January 2017, it just goes dormant until the next season begins...
I was trying to emphasize my much stronger comment, I agree that they are stronger "this year", but I would also argue that they are not just stronger, but significantly stronger.
dakarpoke
Buckaroo

The AAC is stronger this year, primarily due to the bottom of MW being so bad - namely Fresno, SJSt. Nevada and Utah St. I think Fresno and USU will improve soon, and Nev right behind them. You can just look at Wyoming and Hawaii compared to last year. I can also see Navy possibly going 7-1 and winning the AAC (their 3-0 now). So I don't think AAC is a ton better than the MWC despite RPI's.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 241 times

dakarpoke wrote:The AAC is stronger this year, primarily due to the bottom of MW being so bad - namely Fresno, SJSt. Nevada and Utah St. I think Fresno and USU will improve soon, and Nev right behind them. You can just look at Wyoming and Hawaii compared to last year. I can also see Navy possibly going 7-1 and winning the AAC (their 3-0 now). So I don't think AAC is a ton better than the MWC despite RPI's.
Utah state is on an obvious slide that I don't see ending any time soon. The coach they had before this one produced results that were a complete aberration from what they're used to.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

LanderPoke wrote:
dakarpoke wrote:The AAC is stronger this year, primarily due to the bottom of MW being so bad - namely Fresno, SJSt. Nevada and Utah St. I think Fresno and USU will improve soon, and Nev right behind them. You can just look at Wyoming and Hawaii compared to last year. I can also see Navy possibly going 7-1 and winning the AAC (their 3-0 now). So I don't think AAC is a ton better than the MWC despite RPI's.
Utah state is on an obvious slide that I don't see ending any time soon. The coach they had before this one produced results that were a complete aberration from what they're used to.
Translation...back to being total crap...much like Fort Fart.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Now that BYU and its fans have taken a creampie to the face regarding Big 12 expansion, it's time to keep the guard up. Seriously. Mentioning the Mountain West and BYU in the same tweet is a daily occurrence for BYU-related tweeters and others. Yeah, the loud ones love to say "no way" to the MWC and let's:
1) Build our own conference
2) Take the best from the MWC and AAC to form a new conference
3) Remain Indy because of our beautiful P5 scheduling

But the fact remains: BYU fans continue to mention MWC/BYU in the same breath AND the recent Deseret poll showed 53% wanting to come back to the MWC. Very disturbing. It's nice to see some on this board giving their honest opinions about BYU's return. Besides, having dealt with that school and its fanbase for decades, would you really want to associate again with people whose favorite Halloween candy is Nerds? (Is that some sort of psychological projection? I don't know.) Just say "no way" to that school.

Poke-proud
Cowpoke

POKE FAN wrote:Now that BYU and its fans have taken a creampie to the face regarding Big 12 expansion, it's time to keep the guard up. Seriously. Mentioning the Mountain West and BYU in the same tweet is a daily occurrence for BYU-related tweeters and others. Yeah, the loud ones love to say "no way" to the MWC and let's:

But the fact remains: BYU fans continue to mention MWC/BYU in the same breath AND the recent Deseret poll showed 53% wanting to come back to the MWC. Very disturbing. It's nice to see some on this board giving their honest opinions about BYU's return. Besides, having dealt with that school and its fanbase for decades, would you really want to associate again with people whose favorite Halloween candy is Nerds? (Is that some sort of psychological projection? I don't know.) Just say "no way" to that school.

No way to that school - or a newly organized "Mormon church ran" conference.

whyoh
WyoNation Addict

POKE FAN wrote:Now that BYU and its fans have taken a creampie to the face regarding Big 12 expansion, it's time to keep the guard up. Seriously. Mentioning the Mountain West and BYU in the same tweet is a daily occurrence for BYU-related tweeters and others. Yeah, the loud ones love to say "no way" to the MWC and let's:

I call bs on candy corn......that stuff is nasty

We give the good stuff, full size or bust

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'