If We Hadn't Won, This Would be the Longest Topic

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

If we hadn't pulled off the win, I guarantee we'd be talking about MWC referees this week.

- Kick returner incorrectly called down at the 17, which cost us at least 10 yards maybe a pile more.
- The bizarre 'inadvertent whistle' that put us at 3rd and 3 instead of 3rd and 1 and added 5 seconds to a clock we needed as short as possible.

The second call was the potential killer, since it had been hard to get 3 yards on the ground in much of the second half and Boise had proven they could score from long distances in just under 2 minutes already. The 'boys gutted it out and made it irrelevant (what a great example for our youth athletes!), but I still am actually mad about it.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Lost Poke wrote:If we hadn't pulled off the win, I guarantee we'd be talking about MWC referees this week.

- Kick returner incorrectly called down at the 17, which cost us at least 10 yards maybe a pile more.
- The bizarre 'inadvertent whistle' that put us at 3rd and 3 instead of 3rd and 1 and added 5 seconds to a clock we needed as short as possible.

The second call was the potential killer, since it had been hard to get 3 yards on the ground in much of the second half and Boise had proven they could score from long distances in just under 2 minutes already. The 'boys gutted it out and made it irrelevant (what a great example for our youth athletes!), but I still am actually mad about it.

I'm actually happy about that one. He fumbled the ball and the whistles blowing was quite likely what made the Boise players not even go for the ball. And yeah, I know it bounced perfectly into our guy's arms, but it easily could have ended up differently with more pressure.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Lost Poke wrote:If we hadn't pulled off the win, I guarantee we'd be talking about MWC referees this week.

Conway was actually down that was called correctly.

Any ball carrier who is either tackled to the ground by the opposing team, or who falls to the turf on his own. Certain body parts such as the knee, elbow, hip, and head are considered down by contact. Basically any body part other than hands, fingers, and feet constitue a ball carrier to be declared down.

Conways right forearm and elbow hit the ground at that point the whistle wss blown and he was down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

Wyo2dal wrote: Conways right forearm and elbow hit the ground at that point the whistle wss blown and he was down.
That's not what they showed on the replays - commentators even went out of their way to say that he was not down...
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote: Conways right forearm and elbow hit the ground at that point the whistle wss blown and he was down.
That's not what they showed on the replays - commentators even went out of their way to say that he was not down...
So I was wrong, his elbow did hit, but the commentators did say he wasn't down while showing that he was:
https://youtu.be/C32NB93cmk0?t=2h5m28s
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote:
So I was wrong, his elbow did hit, but the commentators did say he wasn't down while showing that he was:
https://youtu.be/C32NB93cmk0?t=2h5m28s
Yup at the time I was mad about it as well but after watching it multiple times I realized it was the right call.

gopokes1399
Blog Team

I thought the refs did a fine job... Wyoming had 0 penalties in the game. That is almost impossible
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Wyoming also got very lucky to not get pass interference on that deep ball where Boises receiver tripped and we picked it off. Many officials would've thrown a flag, right or wrong.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

calpoke25 wrote:Wyoming also got very lucky to not get pass interference on that deep ball where Boises receiver tripped and we picked it off. Many officials would've thrown a flag, right or wrong.
Well, looking at it, the Boise player tripped over himself, in a very obvious way.
Cheywypoke
Ranch Hand

I thought they missed a blatant pass interference early in the game in front of the Boise bench. The db wrapped up Gentry's arms way before the ball got there.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I am glad the final inadvertent whistle did not hurt us but overall the refs were human and missed a few here and there but not the worst referee job I have seen.

C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

calpoke25 wrote:Wyoming also got very lucky to not get pass interference on that deep ball where Boises receiver tripped and we picked it off. Many officials would've thrown a flag, right or wrong.
Negative. The receiver fell on his own. That was NOT pass interference
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:

As I said, I KNOW it was not PI. But given that same play a random official throws a flag at least 50% of the time I would bet.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

calpoke25 wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:

As I said, I KNOW it was not PI. But given that same play a random official throws a flag at least 50% of the time I would bet.
The officials weren't calling PI all game. If they WOULD have called that one after a few of the blatant ones that weren't called we would have been incensed!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 239 times

I enjoyed the relative lack of penalties for once.