Holy crap batman, tickets are flying. This is going to be a great crowd.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 47 times

whyoh wrote:And who the hell said that you can't find a hot wife right here in God's country?
You obviously never been to Oklahoma, have ya?

A very good percentage of women here are damned good-looking. Only negative...some are OU fans. The Okie State ones I like partly because I can hold the 45-25 blowout win vs. Okie State in 1995 over their heads! Won $5 off a buddy of mine on that game!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Someone on gowyogo posted that ticket sales dropped dramatically yesterday. I think aside from whatever walk ups we have and the students, most people who are coming have bought their tickets.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

Of course they slowed a little, but they are still selling and walk ups will account for a good amount I would think.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Ticket sales have hit the weather wall...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Wyovanian wrote:Ticket sales have hit the weather wall...
Yep. Lot of tickets available. Kind of sad, really. Laramie and surrounding cities have no excuse for not being there.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

djm19 wrote:
Yep. Lot of tickets available. Kind of sad, really. Laramie and surrounding cities have no excuse for not being there.
Sadly it's been that way for a long long time with regards to the immediate surrounding area, most particularly Laramie and Cheyenne residents.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

FarmerPoke wrote:
djm19 wrote:
Sadly it's been that way for a long long time with regards to the immediate surrounding area, most particularly Laramie and Cheyenne residents.
I didn't grow up there, I grew up on the west side of the state. Why is that? I try to make it to a few games a year, but it takes two travel days and hundreds per game. If I lived closer, I wouldn't miss a game.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

djm19 wrote:
FarmerPoke wrote:
djm19 wrote:
I didn't grow up there, I grew up on the west side of the state. Why is that? I try to make it to a few games a year, but it takes two travel days and hundreds per game. If I lived closer, I wouldn't miss a game.
Agreed, and same here. I really don't know why it is, just seems like a general disconnect between the university and local residents. I know an absolute crapload of folks in Laramie, plus a few in Cheyenne, that could care less that there's an institution of higher learning right in their back yard, and could care even less that there's athletic events associated with it. It just doesn't mean anything to a lot of folks which is to each their own I guess. But it does lead to a significant number of potential bodies in seats that will never be in said seats.
Edit: I'd be willing to venture that a significant majority of the pokes fanbase doesn't live in the Laramie/Cheyenne/Casper areas, because if it did, attendance numbers would look a lot different. I think as it stands, a great deal of diehard Pokes fans live hundreds, if not thousands of miles away, making attendance difficult.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 615 times
Been liked: 248 times

It's the type of people in Laramie. The town is transient and a lot of people don't have a strong connection to the university or state. Too many liberals that aren't interested in sports. :twocents:
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote:It's the type of people in Laramie. The town is transient and a lot of people don't have a strong connection to the university or state. Too many liberals that aren't interested in sports. :twocents:
Agreed 100%
NDPokes
Buckaroo

Just curious, but what does being a liberal have to do with being a sports fan? Not trying to argue, just an odd nugget imo.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 615 times
Been liked: 248 times

NDPokes wrote:Just curious, but what does being a liberal have to do with being a sports fan? Not trying to argue, just an odd nugget imo.
Growing up (in Laramie) the ones who played sports were the ranchers, cowboys, blue collar-type kids. and the ones who played instruments, did drama, choir, art, etc. were the professors' kids and had left-leaning parents. Not saying that one way is wrong or right, but that was my experience.

As far as Cheyenne.. No clue why they don't get out and support UW athletics a little better.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:
NDPokes wrote:Just curious, but what does being a liberal have to do with being a sports fan? Not trying to argue, just an odd nugget imo.
Growing up (in Laramie) the ones who played sports were the ranchers, cowboys, blue collar-type kids. and the ones who played instruments, did drama, choir, art, etc. were the professors' kids and had left-leaning parents. Not saying that one way is wrong or right, but that was my experience.

As far as Cheyenne.. No clue why they don't get out and support UW athletics a little better.
A percentage of the population of Cheyenne aren't locals. You have the Military, you have the railroad, and you have a large population of people who live here but commute one of 2 places, back to FoCo or north to the mines/rigs. While our population is growing, the amount of born and bred Wyomingites (i.e. Pokes fans) doesnt necessarily grow at the same rate.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

It is what it is. We have a very small alumni base to draw from. I don't agree with the above comments that a lot of people in Laramie don't have a connection to the University, as it's the towns largest employer by far. But what do we truly mean by connection to the university? A lot of people work for UW but maybe never attended UW so they don't care much about UW athletics but that goes back to my point about the primary driver of a fan bases size is being an alumni. The population of Laramie, Cheyenne etc. support UW insofar as they themselves who actually attended UW go. People who live in Laramie and Cheyenne who never attended UW aren't going to become UW fans.

We have a small enrollment that hasn't grown much in the past 20 years. That in turn leads to a small alumni base which in turn leads us to a small fan base wondering why we can't fill the War for a championship game. Grow enrollment, it's the only way to reliably get more fans.

As to the "liberal" comment, I won't speak for myself but I come from a prrtty blue family and I don't know many who are bigger Wyoming fans. If you want to get into stereotypical political archetypes I'm sure there's some you could use as to why conservatives wouldn't be as big of fans either. Bottom line is being a UW fan means having attended UW more or less, regardless of any other factor.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:

A percentage of the population of Cheyenne aren't locals. You have the Military, you have the railroad, and you have a large population of people who live here but commute one of 2 places, back to FoCo or north to the mines/rigs. While our population is growing, the amount of born and bred Wyomingites (i.e. Pokes fans) doesnt necessarily grow at the same rate.
Being a born and bread Wyomingite won't make you a fan of UW. IMO you or your parents need to have attended UW to be a fan.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

calpoke25 wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:

Being a born and bread Wyomingite won't make you a fan of UW. IMO you or your parents need to have attended UW to be a fan.
neither of my parents attended UW
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

calpoke25 wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:

Neither of my parents have a degree or have taken a credit of college courses.... Yet I was raised as a die hard Pokes fan... Now that being said, my wife and I both have degrees from UW which has only fueled my obsession....
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Wyonation to me is probably the more hard core part of the fan base. The casual UW fan either attended UW or their parents did in my opinion, I think your parents are the exceptions not the rule. For every die hard UW fan who never attended UW or who's parents didn't I could name many more people I've met throughout Wyoming who you would consider born n bread Wyominigtes who could care less about UW. My Grandpa didn't attend Uw either and he was our original season ticket holder but in terms of growing the size of the fan base, growing enrollment is the only reliable way to do that IMO.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

calpoke25 wrote:Wyonation to me is probably the more hard core part of the fan base. The casual UW fan either attended UW or their parents did in my opinion, I think your parents are the exceptions not the rule. For every die hard UW fan who never attended UW or who's parents didn't I could name many more people I've met throughout Wyoming who you would consider born n bread Wyominigtes who could care less about UW. My Grandpa didn't attend Uw either and he was our original season ticket holder but in terms of growing the size of the fan base, growing enrollment is the only reliable way to do that IMO.
of course, just being a sports fan leaves you in the minority

yes, i said it, most people don't care for sports....so of course growing up in wyoming doesn't automatically make you a UW football fan.......but if you grew up here and you like football then i think your chances are pretty good regardless of where you or your parents attended college
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
wyoair
Ranch Hand

My wife and I being in Casper never miss a game. I graduated from UW as did my brother, mom and grandfather. So I'm definitely not the norm. I have the fortune to have grown up a fan all my life. Through the Josh Wallwork and Marcus Harris years, the botched safety in the '96 championship game (I was only 10)through the Jay Stoner and Marcus Brigham years, to the Josh Adams, Marcus Bailey, Ugo years and the Dimmel and f'ing Shroyer years to now. But I digress. So I guess my point is not being the norm as in being a fan since I can remember I can withstand good and ba years. Those Who don't have that strong connection to the University of Wyoming can't withstand long droughts of mediocrity or less than that. Those 20 years did a lot of damage to our Fanbase but it is slowly recovering. I remember not too long ago going through Shirley basin on my way to Laramie there was hardly any cars on our way. Now ever since the border war victory we see lines upon lines of cars traveling the same route to Laramie as we are. It's a pretty cool site to see the red lights traveling all the way back to Casper from Laramie. The championship season did wonders for the basketball enthusiasm and I think this season will too for the football team. It's just going to take a little bit more time as most a Fairweather fans or fans with loose connections to Wyoming are in a kind of wait and see or I'll see it when it happens deal. sorry that might be kind of a long winded post.