Josh Allen lacks poise.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
okcwyocowboy
Buckaroo

He has a great arm and great mobility. But the one thing he must work on is poise. That last interception to end the bowl game is one of the worst bone headed throws ever. He reminds me of Phillip Rivers. And I can't see Rivers ever winning a big football game. For some reason during crunch time the brain freezes and panic sets in and the result is a pass that makes you wonder if he just suffered a seizure or concussion. I believe he has all the physical tools. If he can somehow train his brain not to choke and to have POISE then he will be special. I've seen players become better physically but mentally I rarely see improvement. You either have the clutch gene and the ability to make good decisions under duress or you don't.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

okcwyocowboy wrote:He has a great arm and great mobility. But the one thing he must work on is poise. That last interception to end the bowl game is one of the worst bone headed throws ever. He reminds me of Phillip Rivers. And I can't see Rivers ever winning a big football game. For some reason during crunch time the brain freezes and panic sets in and the result is a pass that makes you wonder if he just suffered a seizure or concussion. I believe he has all the physical tools. If he can somehow train his brain not to choke and to have POISE then he will be special. I've seen players become better physically but mentally I rarely see improvement. You either have the clutch gene and the ability to make good decisions under duress or you don't.
Well, considering he's played a total of 14 full games in his career, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that it's part of the learning curve...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

Wyovanian wrote:
okcwyocowboy wrote:He has a great arm and great mobility. But the one thing he must work on is poise. That last interception to end the bowl game is one of the worst bone headed throws ever. He reminds me of Phillip Rivers. And I can't see Rivers ever winning a big football game. For some reason during crunch time the brain freezes and panic sets in and the result is a pass that makes you wonder if he just suffered a seizure or concussion. I believe he has all the physical tools. If he can somehow train his brain not to choke and to have POISE then he will be special. I've seen players become better physically but mentally I rarely see improvement. You either have the clutch gene and the ability to make good decisions under duress or you don't.
Well, considering he's played a total of 14 full games in his career, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that it's part of the learning curve...
Agreed, it's called "experience". My guess is once he gains "experience" you'll see him minimize throws like that. The kids a sophomore - give him a break. Actually I think he showed a lot of poise, most of the season, compared to his youth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Poke-proud on Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I think his TD - Interception ratio next season will be a lot better than this year's. He now has a season's worth of film to study and plenty of time to do so.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I don't know about that. He had great poise against Boise, airforce, csu, and sdsu the first time.

He just try's too hard and that is where he gets in trouble. He needs to stop throwing across his body across the field. I think his arm was good enough to get away with it in juco but the games too fast to do that at this level and the game only gets faster in the NFL.

C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

While I agree that Josh will learn how to handle those situations better, I just have to notice that the relative senior citizen BYU QB had two similar throws. One was an interception, the other should have been but by some freak of luck ended up in an offensive lineman's hands after three deflections in the end zone.
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

What a douche post.
CowboyCO
Ranch Hand

What utter rubbish. Allen has great poise and excellent vision. What he doesn't have is the game experience to realize WHERE he was in the game. It was first down. He didn't need to force a throw. In retrospect, He'll remember this game and that throw in the future. It's first down, rolling out scrambling and the guys he sees are covered. Throw the ball away. Perhaps because he hit some miracle throws this year, he thought he could make that throw. Experience helps you learn you aren't superman and despite his physical gifts, he needs to play with his head. Game time is his friend. This was his first season. He'll get better - a LOT better, which should make MWC teams shake in their boots.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 132 times

Signed, Brett Favre.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
okcwyocowboy
Buckaroo

CowboyCO wrote:What utter rubbish. Allen has great poise and excellent vision. What he doesn't have is the game experience to realize WHERE he was in the game. It was first down. He didn't need to force a throw. In retrospect, He'll remember this game and that throw in the future. It's first down, rolling out scrambling and the guys he sees are covered. Throw the ball away. Perhaps because he hit some miracle throws this year, he thought he could make that throw. Experience helps you learn you aren't superman and despite his physical gifts, he needs to play with his head. Game time is his friend. This was his first season. He'll get better - a LOT better, which should make MWC teams shake in their boots.
In one sentence you say Josh Allen has great Poise! In the very next sentence you say Josh Allen didn't know WHERE he was in the game. LMFAO oxymoron. I'm sorry but experience will not teach him what down it is. ANY player especially a QB should always have the POISE to understand WHERE he is in the game. They should always know down and distance as well as the time and the score and the situation at hand. It's mental. It's called Poise not experience. HS players should know WHERE they are in the game. Unfortunately when the game speeds up some players just can't handle the pressure. But the best players have the Poise to always know the situation and have the capability to think quickly without a brain freeze.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

okcwyocowboy wrote:
CowboyCO wrote:What utter rubbish. Allen has great poise and excellent vision. What he doesn't have is the game experience to realize WHERE he was in the game. It was first down. He didn't need to force a throw. In retrospect, He'll remember this game and that throw in the future. It's first down, rolling out scrambling and the guys he sees are covered. Throw the ball away. Perhaps because he hit some miracle throws this year, he thought he could make that throw. Experience helps you learn you aren't superman and despite his physical gifts, he needs to play with his head. Game time is his friend. This was his first season. He'll get better - a LOT better, which should make MWC teams shake in their boots.
In one sentence you say Josh Allen has great Poise! In the very next sentence you say Josh Allen didn't know WHERE he was in the game. LMFAO oxymoron. I'm sorry but experience will not teach him what down it is. ANY player especially a QB should always have the POISE to understand WHERE he is in the game. They should always know down and distance as well as the time and the score and the situation at hand. It's mental. It's called Poise not experience. HS players should know WHERE they are in the game. Unfortunately when the game speeds up some players just can't handle the pressure. But the best players have the Poise to always know the situation and have the capability to think quickly without a brain freeze.
Nonsense, you can't expect most sophomores to have the same qualities "(poise if you must)" as a senior. Utter ridiculous expectation or belief. The more reps a player gets, any position, the better they become. They learn from the games, "experiences", etc. very few freshman/sophomores are going to play equal to a senior.

ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 132 times

Sort of fitting that the dumbest thread of the year comes near the end of the year.

FFS, the kid showed poise several times throughout the year willing the team to win at times.

He made a few mistakes as well, but they were mistakes that will be corrected with time.

Hell, he's probably the best QB in the MWC next season, maybe best in G5 ranks, and among the best in the country.

If your evidence of lack of poise is one freaking play in the entire season, then I have some great land in Siberia to sell you. It was warm one day, so the climate must be mild.

Damn.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

ragtimejoe1 wrote:Sort of fitting that the dumbest thread of the year comes near the end of the year.

FFS, the kid showed poise several times throughout the year willing the team to win at times.

He made a few mistakes as well, but they were mistakes that will be corrected with time.

Hell, he's probably the best QB in the MWC next season, maybe best in G5 ranks, and among the best in the country.

If your evidence of lack of poise is one freaking play in the entire season, then I have some great land in Siberia to sell you. It was warm one day, so the climate must be mild.

Damn.
No doubt!

CowboyCO
Ranch Hand

I think it's time for you to turn in your Poke card, if you ever even had one. There's a difference between poised and experienced. He's got poise in spades, but light on experience. The only reason we were playing in that game is the poise he showed against SDSU, Boise State, Colorado State and Air Force. He's a sophomore that just played his first season after only playing a few plays in relief last year before he got injured. No, high schools players don't all know where they are in the game. Experience teaches you many things, including situational awareness. He forced a ball when he didn't have to. He'll learn from it. Poise isn't down and distance, time and score -- that's mental - the experience to know what to do and when to do it, hard wired by having been there before. Poise is extending a play while keeping your eyes downfield, getting up after you just got slammed for a loss and tossing a touchdown pass the next play. It's being a leader that other teammates look to when the chips are down. Josh Allen will be the greatest quarterback in the history of Wyoming Football.
okcwyocowboy
Buckaroo

Joe Montana, Ben Roethlisberger, Tom Brady, Kellen Moore

One of these groups I believe has great poise while the other doesn't. Experience never mattered much.

Tony Romo, Brett Favre, Phillip Rivers, Josh Allen,
Mtpoke89
Ranch Hand

Gtfo with that poop. Look at the 4th qt of the boise game. The same with the sdsu game. He completly took over the 4th qt. The two biggest wins in forever. Yeah he made a mistake in the BYU game. But he also willed us to win in damn near every game. Glad you dont work for the NFL. Had no poise get out of here with that poop.
CowboyCO
Ranch Hand

O cripes -- You're a Boise corksucker.... Seriously - Kellen Moore?

And that lack of poise that Brett Favre has got him?

8 Division titles
5 NFC Championship games
3 consecutive MVP awards (never been duplicated)
2 Super Bowls
One Super Bowl Championship
First Ballot Hall of Fame Inductee.

I mean seriously, are you 12?

(Pssst - your moron is sticking out and everyone can see it...)
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Good to see Dino back so soon. The real question is if the 2017 season will be cancelled by a magic sky man.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

marcuswyo wrote:Good to see Dino back so soon. The real question is if the 2017 season will be cancelled by a magic sky man.
:rofl:
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

I get up early because the goddamn wind sounds like it's going to blow the house down, and I have to read this poop thread title? Jesus. 2016 can't be over soon enough.

I'll give the thread a new title: "Josh Allen doesn't perform to perfection on every play. Neither does anyone else on the team. Neither has anyone else on any football team, ever. No football player in the history of the game has made all the right throws, blocks, tackles, reads, kicks, or cuts, because that is the nature of the game. It is especially hard to do everything perfectly on every snap because while you're trying to do it, giant, tough, fast guys on the other team are trying to break you in half. Therefore, what you look for is a guy with the tools, smarts and work ethic who gets it right the vast majority of the time, who is a leader, who other guys trust and look to...in other words, the kind of guy that, when the team is down by 17 f-word points with 9 minutes to go in a nationally-televised bowl game against a team of 25 year olds, and he's on the field, you think, "I don't know. This game isn't over.""

Would that thread title fit in that little box up there?