NMSU game recap

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 4 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Haha love it
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 617 times
Been liked: 249 times

The d is so salty. makes me proud
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 155 times

Might be ugly next year. If youhanna has a good year, he could bounce too
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

laxwyo wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:37 am Might be ugly next year. If youhanna has a good year, he could bounce too
I think the program/defense is at a point where we reload. We're not going to have this year's and last year's defense every year, but we won't bottom out like we're accostomed to. For as losg as Bohl's here we'll at least have an average-above average defense.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

CSU losing always helps as well, I can't wait to see this live against Wazzu this weekend!!! Thinking many good things upcoming as long as we are healthy, I saw our RB's and thought wow the size is just incredible!!! Tyler Vanderwaal is gonna be fairly decent as well, I mostly listened to Dave and Kevin and watched the 2nd half on TV when it all but decided. Hope we have a good turnout this weekend and we beat a Pac 12 team at 7220.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

stymeman wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:03 am CSU losing always helps as well, I can't wait to see this live against Wazzu this weekend!!! Thinking many good things upcoming as long as we are healthy, I saw our RB's and thought wow the size is just incredible!!! Tyler Vanderwaal is gonna be fairly decent as well, I mostly listened to Dave and Kevin and watched the 2nd half on TV when it all but decided. Hope we have a good turnout this weekend and we beat a Pac 12 team at 7220.
Our guys have gotten quite large as a team. There were multiples times a certain WR would run buy and I said to myself, who the hell is that? Turns out it was Conway. He looks jacked. Prosser looks jacked. Granderson looks huge. Even Woods looked larger. This new strength and condition program is kicking ass.

I was also pleasantly surprised with our team speed. We looked very fast. Our WRs were getting separation, our RBs ran away from people, and our D was everywhere. The most telling play for me was early in the 2nd quarter, Ghaifan ran down their RB in open field. It was absurd. Even the announcers mentioned that our biggest D lineman ran down the fastest dude on NMS... This year could be really special if TVW can figure out the passing game.
Last edited by ItSucksToBeACSURam on Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:29 am
stymeman wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:03 am CSU losing always helps as well, I can't wait to see this live against Wazzu this weekend!!! Thinking many good things upcoming as long as we are healthy, I saw our RB's and thought wow the size is just incredible!!! Tyler Vanderwaal is gonna be fairly decent as well, I mostly listened to Dave and Kevin and watched the 2nd half on TV when it all but decided. Hope we have a good turnout this weekend and we beat a Pac 12 team at 7220.
Our guys have gotten quite large as a team. There were multiples times a certain WR would run buy and I said to myself, who the hell is that? Turns out it was Conway. He looks jacked. Prosser looks jacked. Granderson looks huge. Even Woods looked larger. This new strength and condition program is kicking ass.

I was also pleasantly surprised with our team speed. We looked very fast. Our WRs were getting separation, our RBs ran away from people, and our D was everywhere. The most telling play for me was early in the 2nd quarter, Ghaifan ran down their RB in open field. It was absurd. Even the announced mentioned that our biggest D lineman ran down the fastest dude on NMS... This year could be really special if TVW can figure out the passing game.
Yes. Prosser looks jacked and totally crushed a couple NMSU guys. Vicisous hits. Agree about our overall team speed. We've got some athletes out there! Feels good to be able to say that.
kab1one
Buckaroo

O line was big and nasty. As the game wore on, 4, 5, 6 yards they were pushing the defense ball. Ball control allows the offense to just wear the other team out.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

What stood out to me is how much better we can be with just a little bit of cleaning up. We had 13 offensive possessions (really just 12 since we took a knee on the last one) and only scored on 5 of them.

However, we had the right play selection on a few of the "failed" ones. Examples:
3rd and 5 at NMSU 47: TVW has incompletion to Fort where Fort does not go to the first down marker where the pass was coming.

3rd & 8 at 50: Another missed pass to Austin Fort, who was fairly open. This was also set up by Valladay not looking great on first and second down. I have a feeling he'll see less play on Saturday.

3rd & 4 at NMSU 44: TVW waits too long with a shovel to Mayfield, who drops it. Should've been a quick and easy conversion.

3rd & 1 at NMSU 38: Failed QB sneak. We got zero push on this. Maybe for now this is where we hand it off to Evans instead - or maybe sling it wide to Rocket Jr. Either way, we went hyper conservative and punted on 4th and a foot or so.

Obviously none of those were guaranteed points, but you'd have to think at least a couple of those had a good chance of getting into field goal range. What's really nice for us is that we actually get a week's worth of experience for our team to clean these things up, though! Will it matter? Guess we'll see.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

It's actually a bit concerning to me that we came away with only 28 pts when we started nearly every drive at our own 40
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

laxwyo wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:37 am Might be ugly next year. If youhanna has a good year, he could bounce too
Well enjoy this year and don't worry about next year yet! :D
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 155 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:20 pm
Showing up after a win is a little out of character for you. Turning over a new leaf?
W-Y, Until I Die!
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

laxwyo wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:04 pm
SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:20 pm
Showing up after a win is a little out of character for you. Turning over a new leaf?
It's the new, positive me! I bought some Tony Robbins videos. :lol: