Wyoming set for home and home with BYU

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BYU Fan 7
Buckaroo

carbonpoke wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:29 pm And they play dirty, and they are 27 years old, and they need preferential treatment for media, and they own coca cola but don't drink caffeine, and they bought up a ton of land in Wyoming and go there regularly (but Wyoming sucks right).
Ok first of all, nobody on BYU is 27. Avg age is 23.5...which is not the oldest average age for a team (source: https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootba ... _1:col_1=6), so you should be more upset at other teams.

Second, preferential treatment for media = bs.

Third, coke on BYU's campus is actually caffeinated currently (source: https://universe.byu.edu/2017/09/21/byu ... on-campus/)

Fourth, why would you hate BYU for owning land in Wyoming?

In short, you're grasping at straws, trying to find reasons to hate BYU but it makes no sense. You're just a pointless hater. I dont get all the Wyoming fans that are all hot and bothered.
BYU Fan 7
Buckaroo

cowboyz wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:17 pm
BYU Fan 7 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:26 pm Holy hell some of you guys have some absurd hatred for BYU. Lol @ the guy saying he's going to cancel his season tickets.

Granted I am younger, so BYU has been independent ever since I graduated high school, but I've never met a Wyoming fan. Had no idea some of you guys still have so much pent up anger about BYU leaving the conference (for the record, it would have been stupid to stay).

Is it just a vocal minority that's like this or is the majority of the Wyoming fan base a bunch of BYU haters?

Regardless, I look forward to our upcoming games. Go Cougs!
I don't have a strong opinion on BYUs decisions, but how do you figure it would have been stupid for BYU to stay in the MWC? Since BYU has left their regular season winning percentage is worse then when they were in the MWC as is their Bowl Game winning percentage, plus they fill their schedule with present MWC and ex-MWC teams. Granted BYU took a shot at the "big time" and f-word it up. Now they wish they stayed, simple as that. And the other non-football sports play in some dip poop conference with a few good teams sprinkled across all the sports. In fact, don't some of the WCC teams play against high schools as part of their non-conference schedule?
Yeah that's a fair question. I alluded to it in some other posts, but here are the primary reasons:

1. Money. As a result of going independent, BYU now brings in more revenue than any G5 school and is on par with the lower half of the PAC-12 schools. For more info see my source: https://espn960sports.com/byu/byu-footb ... stainable/

More money is better, that's pretty straightforward.

2. ESPN. BYU games are broadcast on ESPN networks instead of the terrible MTN network. I seriously couldnt stand that network. Aside from the terrible quality (picture quality, announcer quality, camera work, etc), ESPN just offers much more exposure and it's a lot easier to access for those of us that live outside the MWC region.

ESPN > MTN...that's pretty undebateable.

3. Opportunity to schedule big programs such as LSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Washington, Texas, etc. The ideal schedule includes a couple "stretch" games where you're the clear under dog, a good number of winnable games against quality opponents, and a couple cupcake games. It's been awesome to watch BYU play a variety of opponents, especially from some of the top programs. And then we fill in our schedule with a number of MWC opponents, which makes sense because those are definitely winnable games, but generally quality opponents. And they're in close proximity, which is ideal.

There are other less significant reasons, but those are the 3 I'd point to when I say BYU would be stupid to stay in the MWC. Money is probably the biggest one though.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

BYU Fan 7 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:38 pm3. Opportunity to schedule big programs such as LSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Washington, Texas, etc.
What was stopping you from doing that before? That's what all MW schools are doing too.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
BYU Fan 7
Buckaroo

joshvanklomp wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:02 pm
BYU Fan 7 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:38 pm3. Opportunity to schedule big programs such as LSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Washington, Texas, etc.
What was stopping you from doing that before? That's what all MW schools are doing too.
That's a fair question. All I know is that we've played way more large-scale programs since going independent. I'm not sure on the behind the scenes logistics that make all of that happen, but it's an observation pretty much anyone can objectively make.

But to your point, this is probably the least important of the 3 reasons I listed. I can agree to that.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

BYU Fan 7 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:38 pm
cowboyz wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:17 pm
BYU Fan 7 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:26 pm Holy hell some of you guys have some absurd hatred for BYU. Lol @ the guy saying he's going to cancel his season tickets.

Granted I am younger, so BYU has been independent ever since I graduated high school, but I've never met a Wyoming fan. Had no idea some of you guys still have so much pent up anger about BYU leaving the conference (for the record, it would have been stupid to stay).

Is it just a vocal minority that's like this or is the majority of the Wyoming fan base a bunch of BYU haters?

Regardless, I look forward to our upcoming games. Go Cougs!
I don't have a strong opinion on BYUs decisions, but how do you figure it would have been stupid for BYU to stay in the MWC? Since BYU has left their regular season winning percentage is worse then when they were in the MWC as is their Bowl Game winning percentage, plus they fill their schedule with present MWC and ex-MWC teams. Granted BYU took a shot at the "big time" and f-word it up. Now they wish they stayed, simple as that. And the other non-football sports play in some dip poop conference with a few good teams sprinkled across all the sports. In fact, don't some of the WCC teams play against high schools as part of their non-conference schedule?
Yeah that's a fair question. I alluded to it in some other posts, but here are the primary reasons:

1. Money. As a result of going independent, BYU now brings in more revenue than any G5 school and is on par with the lower half of the PAC-12 schools. For more info see my source: https://espn960sports.com/byu/byu-footb ... stainable/

More money is better, that's pretty straightforward.

2. ESPN. BYU games are broadcast on ESPN networks instead of the terrible MTN network. I seriously couldnt stand that network. Aside from the terrible quality (picture quality, announcer quality, camera work, etc), ESPN just offers much more exposure and it's a lot easier to access for those of us that live outside the MWC region.

ESPN > MTN...that's pretty undebateable.

3. Opportunity to schedule big programs such as LSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Washington, Texas, etc. The ideal schedule includes a couple "stretch" games where you're the clear under dog, a good number of winnable games against quality opponents, and a couple cupcake games. It's been awesome to watch BYU play a variety of opponents, especially from some of the top programs. And then we fill in our schedule with a number of MWC opponents, which makes sense because those are definitely winnable games, but generally quality opponents. And they're in close proximity, which is ideal.

There are other less significant reasons, but those are the 3 I'd point to when I say BYU would be stupid to stay in the MWC. Money is probably the biggest one though.
Almost all of our games were either on ESPN 2 or CBS sports last year with a few on whatever root is now. I don't think the MTN network has existed for years.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Putting the backstabbing aside, I don't see this as a big draw for us. Byu's stature since leaving the conference has diminished considerably in football and basketball. I don't see a certain sellout. Why couldn't we have scheduled CU? That would drum up interest all along the front range. They coming here is one thing: but a road trip to Provo is not a vacation I'm going to make.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

bladerunnr wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:32 pm Putting the backstabbing aside, I don't see this as a big draw for us. Byu's stature since leaving the conference has diminished considerably in football and basketball. I don't see a certain sellout. Why couldn't we have scheduled CU? That would drum up interest all along the front range. They coming here is one thing: but a road trip to Provo is not a vacation I'm going to make.
Correct. BYU sucks now. Not having a conference has made them crappy.
BYU Fan 7
Buckaroo

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:34 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:32 pm Putting the backstabbing aside, I don't see this as a big draw for us. Byu's stature since leaving the conference has diminished considerably in football and basketball. I don't see a certain sellout. Why couldn't we have scheduled CU? That would drum up interest all along the front range. They coming here is one thing: but a road trip to Provo is not a vacation I'm going to make.
Lol, not having a conference has made BYU crappy? Including the abysmal season last year, which was the worst in decades, BYU has average 8 wins per season since going independent. Remove the anomaly of last season and the average is 9 wins. If that's considered crappy for BYU, I'll take it.

BYU has been so crappy that they had to beat Wyoming in the Poinsettia bowl 2 years ago. :lol:
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

BYU Fan 7 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:18 pm
Lol, not having a conference has made BYU crappy? Including the abysmal season last year, which was the worst in decades, BYU has average 8 wins per season since going independent. Remove the anomaly of last season and the average is 9 wins. If that's considered crappy for BYU, I'll take it.

BYU has been so crappy that they had to beat Wyoming in the Poinsettia bowl 2 years ago. :lol:
That's your highwater mark for foreseeable future. your program is trending DOWN . Go back to your circa 1998 cougarboard
BYU Fan 7
Buckaroo

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:41 pm

That's your highwater mark for foreseeable future. your program is trending DOWN . Go back to your circa 1998 cougarboard
One down season =/= entire program going down. Logic is hard.

BYU Athletics is bringing in more money than ever, so nice try there.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

BYU Fan 7 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:49 pm

we'll see how many games you win this year. Is mentally-broken 27 year-old Mangrum still your QB?
BYU Fan 7
Buckaroo

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:52 pm
BYU Fan 7 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:49 pm

we'll see how many games you win this year. Is mentally-broken 27 year-old Mangrum still your QB?
Yep, we shall see. If this season goes like last season, we'll end up with a whole new coaching staff.

Yes, 24 year old "Mangrum" won the starting job. But theres a true freshman named Zach Wilson that played very, very well in fall camp. He'll step in if "Mangrum" falls apart. If that doesnt work, BYU will be screwed so you all can rejoice. Our offense should be MUCH better than last year though. We'll see.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

Went and bought my Arizona shirt. Wasn’t a fan until I see they play BYU. Go Arizona!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Embarrassing! I can't believe we'd tuck our tail like this. Talk about no pride. Sheesh.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Cheywypoke
Ranch Hand

Yeah, BYU is doing so great as an independent.

Poke-proud
Cowpoke

Cheywypoke wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:08 pm Yeah, BYU is doing so great as an independent.

:lol: what do they say about “denial”.
BYU Fan 7
Buckaroo

Cheywypoke wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:08 pm Yeah, BYU is doing so great as an independent.

Boise State, Utah State, Fresno State (hmm, sounds a lot like a typical MWC home schedule so far), Missouri, Cincinnati, ECU, and a couple other cupcakes. That's really not that bad of a home schedule. Certainly not anything a MWC team should be scoffing at.

Then for away games we got to play storied programs such as Nebraska, UCLA, and Michigan.

Sounds a hell of a lot better than Wyoming's schedule that year. Not only did you guys play awful programs such as North Dakota, Eastern Michigan, Appalachian St, New Mexico, etc, but you lost to all those programs and went 2-10. Why would you even bring up the 2015 season?? :rofl:

Sorry but that was a very dumb comment. There are plenty of legitimate scheduling issues you could make about BYU, but that was not a smart one.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

BYU Fan 7 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:29 pm

Boise State, Utah State, Fresno State (hmm, sounds a lot like a typical MWC home schedule so far), Missouri, Cincinnati, ECU, and a couple other cupcakes. That's really not that bad of a home schedule. Certainly not anything a MWC team should be scoffing at.

Then for away games we got to play storied programs such as Nebraska, UCLA, and Michigan.

Sounds a hell of a lot better than Wyoming's schedule that year. Not only did you guys play awful programs such as North Dakota, Eastern Michigan, Appalachian St, New Mexico, etc, but you lost to all those programs and went 2-10. Why would you even bring up the 2015 season?? :rofl:

Sorry but that was a very dumb comment. There are plenty of legitimate scheduling issues you could make about BYU, but that was not a smart one.
Here's the problem. Rivalries are built on conference play or a shared geography. Byu - Utah or Csewe -Wyoming or USC-UCLA. By not being in a conference, no one points to a game with BYU as a "big" game. You may play a decent schedule, but you are not an important game on anyone's schedule. No matter how good you are, our big games will always be Boise St., csewe, Air Force, and any P5 OOC game we schedule. Beating you won't be a feather in our cap and it means nothing to our conference season.
BYU Fan 7
Buckaroo

bladerunnr wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:08 pm
BYU Fan 7 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:29 pm

Here's the problem. Rivalries are built on conference play or a shared geography. Byu - Utah or Csewe -Wyoming or USC-UCLA. By not being in a conference, no one points to a game with BYU as a "big" game. You may play a decent schedule, but you are not an important game on anyone's schedule. No matter how good you are, our big games will always be Boise St., csewe, Air Force, and any P5 OOC game we schedule. Beating you won't be a feather in our cap and it means nothing to our conference season.
Well BYU and Wyoming are not rivals, so that's not an issue. I can tell you the BYU-Utah game is still a very significant game, especially when it's the last game of the season. As far as Wyoming calling it a "big game" or not, I'm totally cool with you guys not looking at it as a big game. That has no impact on anything. IMO the point of the regular season is to try to get into the CFP.

And you can't honestly tell me being the MWC champion means anything. The average football fan has no idea who the MWC conference champion is/was, myself included. It's essentially a gold star one team in your conference gets...it's meaningless. Even when BYU was still in the MWC, I couldnt have cared less about the conference champion.

MWC has nothing to offer to a school in BYU's situation that has the means to go independent. BYU brings in significantly more money now and still gets to play in a bowl game every year we qualify. MWC provides no meaningful benefits.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Haha does anyone know what the guy is actually saying?