Vigen-Bohl relationship question

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Just a question...I keep seeing posts proclaiming Vigen and Bohl are "joined at the hip". Is there some sort of arrangement beyond two guys who have built up some trust over the years? Why wouldn't Bohl move on from him?
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

All I can figure is Vigen has some compromising photos of him. I did get a good laugh watching Bohl's press conference today when he said they have a "very complicated offense." From what I can tell they have about five plays.
yopaulie
Ranch Hand

Vigen was at NDSU when Bohl started head coaching there, and so has been part of Bohl's staff for 15 years, since 2003.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:27 pm ...they have a "very complicated offense." From what I can tell they have about five plays.
To Vigen five plays is complicated.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Adv8RU12 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:22 pm
SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:27 pm ...they have a "very complicated offense." From what I can tell they have about five plays.
This is what I’ve noticed and about the only way I can explain it from another OC perspective.
Take a Dive play up the middle. Each specific Dive is individualized due to a different blocking scheme on each individual play. So fans just see “run up the middle” each time. What they don’t notice is the different blocking assignments each time. So you may see five runs up the middle, but each one is different due to the blocking scheme.

Just something I’ve noticed while watching some games. And I assume it’s like this with most all our offense.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

kansasCowboy wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:12 pm
This is what I’ve noticed and about the only way I can explain it from another OC perspective.
Take a Dive play up the middle. Each specific Dive is individualized due to a different blocking scheme on each individual play. So fans just see “run up the middle” each time. What they don’t notice is the different blocking assignments each time. So you may see five runs up the middle, but each one is different due to the blocking scheme.

Just something I’ve noticed while watching some games. And I assume it’s like this with most all our offense.
I think you are right and summed up Vigen's problem. He focuses his complexity on blocking schemes that don't work rather than creating mismatches on skill players and utilizing complex motions and misdirections to mentally challenge defenses.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

Not that I like Vigen but it comes down to trust. The offense would work with better players but we are limited.....I see a lot of praise for Chambers for the game vs USU but none for Vigen calling plays for Chambers. I guess when a play works it was the player and when it doesn't....it's Vigen..... :whistle:
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Brown and Gold wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:46 pm Not that I like Vigen but it comes down to trust. The offense would work with better players but we are limited.....I see a lot of praise for Chambers for the game vs USU but none for Vigen calling plays for Chambers. I guess when a play works it was the player and when it doesn't....it's Vigen..... :whistle:
Personally, I'm basing on having a sub 100 offense in 4 of 5 years against a very weak SOS. That and in year 5 we lack depth, experience, and identity. Just me...
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

Bingo like I said in an other thread it's rare when identical plays are called in the same game. The offense is extremely difficult to grasp. Each play is completely different on numerous factors. It's the QBs job to identify those things on the field. Our starting Qb has 300 plays he has to know inside out. He needs to know what to do for each one of these plays with multiple possible defensive schemes.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

poke_addict wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:38 pm

Bingo like I said in an other thread it's rare when identical plays are called in the same game. The offense is extremely difficult to grasp. Each play is completely different on numerous factors. It's the QBs job to identify those things on the field. Our starting Qb has 300 plays he has to know inside out. He needs to know what to do for each one of these plays with multiple possible defensive schemes.
Looks like more responsibility on the linemen. The qb is calling the play but handing off to the same hole often. The offense is not working and there is no amount of excuses for bad to terrible offenses 4 out of 5 years against crap defenses.

If the complexity theory is true, that is equally as damning on Vigen and sets linemen and QBs up to fail. I have a few games recorded, so I'll have to go back and watch blocking scheme. Without a doubt, the ball attempts the same hole in a dive often.

It has been half a decade with a dysfunctional offense. You gotta adjust something.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:07 am

Looks like more responsibility on the linemen. The qb is calling the play but handing off to the same hole often. The offense is not working and there is no amount of excuses for bad to terrible offenses 4 out of 5 years against crap defenses.

If the complexity theory is true, that is equally as damning on Vigen and sets linemen and QBs up to fail. I have a few games recorded, so I'll have to go back and watch blocking scheme. Without a doubt, the ball attempts the same hole in a dive often.

It has been half a decade with a dysfunctional offense. You gotta adjust something.
One of the biggest complaints is the O-line play. Why complicate the offense with such complex blocking schemes that the O-line can't seem to grasp. I'm of the belief you learn to execute one play before moving onto the next. Vigen throws 300 plays at these guys rather then focusing on execution and actual in game strategy.
I'm good for 3!
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

You're definitely correct that alot of the responsibility is on the line. The Center has his fair share of reads to make on each play as well. Its imperative that the line knows what they are doing one missed assignment and the play ends in a pile at the line of scrimmage. Exacute that play Nico walks into the endzone untouched! ( Not always lol)

The Center makes reads about the defense for the play called in the huddle. Any pre snap changes is on the QB. It may look like the QB is only handing the ball off but he needs to identify where that defense is heading before the snap. If you have the right tools to run the offense it can be very frustrating to defend. Young QBs and Young Centers are anything but ideal for this offense.

We really don't know what's going on is those meeting rooms. Vigen is the guy calling plays but overall its Craig Bohls offense that we are running. I'm hoping the staff is installing some RPO for chambers to run the rest of the season. We went a little off script with Chambers in the game and it damn sure better have made Bohl and staff to do some soul searching. I'm convinced we beat the Aggies had Chambers started that game. The staff obviously didn't prepare Chambers to play more than a couple series. That definitely needs to change.
specialteamsguru
Buckaroo
Has liked: 2 times

The Almighty may examine their relationship come Judgement Day, but for now the AD needs to put them on notice that adjustments need to be made, and "accountability" applies to the adults in the program, not just the undergraduate students.
1tallpoke
Buckaroo

Chambers will expose this relationship. He will start and win. He’s a leader and players will rally behind him. He has an arm and “when allowed “ will use it. It was easy to see that coaches had no “plan B”when Chambers overachieved on the two plays he was given. Then we go back to the guy that looks exactly like he did in the spring game for the two-minute drive. A step better than Nick. I can’t wait to hear the story they peddle when Chambers has a good game. Player development or Player discovery is the question. B&V will ride this one out together. Forever
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

specialteamsguru wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:16 pm The Almighty may examine their relationship come Judgement Day, but for now the AD needs to put them on notice that adjustments need to be made, and "accountability" applies to the adults in the program, not just the undergraduate students.
Hallelujah and amen to that, brother.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

poke_addict wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:07 pm

You're definitely correct that alot of the responsibility is on the line. The Center has his fair share of reads to make on each play as well. Its imperative that the line knows what they are doing one missed assignment and the play ends in a pile at the line of scrimmage. Exacute that play Nico walks into the endzone untouched! ( Not always lol)

[The Center makes reads about the defense for the play called in the huddle. Any pre snap changes is on the QB. It may look like the QB is only handing the ball off but he needs to dentify where that defense is heading before the snap. If you have the right tools to run the offense it can be very frustrating to defend. Young QBs and Young Centers are anything but ideal for this offense.

We really don't know what's going on is those meeting rooms. Vigen is the guy calling plays but overall its Craig Bohls offense that we are running. I'm hoping the staff is installing some RPO for chambers to run the rest of the season. We went a little off script with Chambers in the game and it damn sure better have made Bohl and staff to do some soul searching. I'm convinced we beat the Aggies had Chambers started that game. The staff obviously didn't prepare Chambers to play more than a couple series. That definitely needs to change.
That's one of the reasons our defense is so nasty. They line up in a formation that doesn't necessarily represent what they are doing. Eg switching from cover 2 man to cover 3 zone. Really screws with the other teams offense something fierce. Hazelton is a genius at mentally screwing with the other team.

Example: defense lines up in a blitz, safeties are coming. Offense see's this and starts licking their chops. The RB runs an angle across the middle. The WR's go into an out route. Last second, wyo defense moves and is playing cover 2 zone. Pass nearly intercepted. QB is taking a mental licking....
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Hopefully the D runs roughshod on the Sheeep and gives em hell all night, and our new Savior Chambers gives us hope, we take the boot back home and gives us a good feeling for quite sometime. Go Pokes get er done
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 50 times

Great article that talks about how Harbaugh addressed some of the same issues we're having:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/coll ... 744998002/
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:11 pm
Brown and Gold wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:46 pm Not that I like Vigen but it comes down to trust. The offense would work with better players but we are limited.....I see a lot of praise for Chambers for the game vs USU but none for Vigen calling plays for Chambers. I guess when a play works it was the player and when it doesn't....it's Vigen..... :whistle:
Personally, I'm basing on having a sub 100 offense in 4 of 5 years against a very weak SOS. That and in year 5 we lack depth, experience, and identity. Just me...
Agreed, and with a QB now in the NFL.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

flyfishwyo wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:08 am

Great article that talks about how Harbaugh addressed some of the same issues we're having:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/coll ... 744998002/
Wait a sec, Michigan adjusted their offense to a hybrid offense to maximize the use of their players and are sitting with a great record and playoff contention.

I didn't think that was allowed. My understanding from Bohl and Vigen was you can only run the one style of offense no matter what, even if you don't have the right players. Just keep forcing the square peg in a round hole. Who would have thought that coaches can have success by identifying advantages of players and morphing their strategy to something that suits the players and the coaches philosophy more equally.