Allen Iverson.....

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
jcintherock
Ranch Hand

.....as his critics said early on was not the "Answer".

Unfortunately for WyoNation neither is Austyn Stuzriem-Sween.

If number 5 was a major league pitcher he would top out at 68 mph on the Juggs gun. Between his relative lack of arm strength, his mistake-ridden pre-snap reads (and post-snap for that matter), and his (way over-coached) mechanical delivery, he is the death of this particular version of the spread offense. He lived the charmed life last year as the results were not indicative of his actual abilities. It's unfortunate that Benjamin was named the starter after fall camp last year. How much more effective could we be right now if Benjamin were able to red-shirt and watch what D1 throwing windows look like and use his ability to truly utilize the zone option portion of this offense......it would actually look like a D1 offense instead of this "let's hope that Austyn can scramble around and someone blows an assignment on D so that we can actually move the chains offense".

In spite of last year, the kid doesn't really have "it". We haven't had "it" as a school since Josh Walwork. There will be a few guys on campus in the next week who are closer to having the "it" this offense needs than our current non "it". Trust me......Coach C fully understands that #5 has no more upside.

The guy at Snow JC (who Christensen dismisses during College Football Confidential) actually wants to come here has much more "it".....and no I'm not pimping him.

One would think that an O-coordinator who actually played the position at this level (....and relatively well I might add) could help coach that "it" just a bit. So far......not so much. Should Arroyo actually have that position?????....my opinion from miles away would be no. Most of the position coaches and the other Coordinator could merit that same opinion. It's obvious that these coaches ( with the exception of Hammerschmidt) were probably not ready to coach at this level but were brought in for their "potential up-side" of recruiting abilities. Unless the rest of this current recruiting season blows up.....then that has been a bust as well.

Is this program really in good hands?????

I'll be there on Saturday hoping that coaches actually try to win the game and not just keep the score down. I hope Austyn Stutzriem-Sween prove me wrong too.

...but I doubt it.

.......oooooops PS, PS. Shamiel Gary has now replaced Sidney Lewis as my all-time least favorite Cowboy. The dude gives up a long pass play for a Toledo first down and lays a pussy worthy hit on the prone receiver and turns to the Toledo bench and strikes a pose with his 10" arms. Hey Gary......first down Toledo punk. You didn't do your job. Since that play he has given up 3 long TD passes and turns around with this f-word-up look on his face like "wow.....I didn't even know that the ball was in the air"....you're right Sham-Wow....you didn't because you're garbage. Can I get a hot-tub....errrr....I mean a replacement for him?????

Seriously

Peace
Last edited by jcintherock on Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

You know JC, I doubt any Wyoming fan is pleased with the way we've played this year. But, I don't think you'll find many who think our record would be any different either. But to suggest ACS isn't doing the job is not fair. It is your opinion and I agree he has made some bad reads this year. But, the kid took us to a bowl and won that bowl pretty much by himself as a true freshman. If Benjamin was worth his weight, he wouldn't have been beat out by a true freshman.

ACS still has a winning record as a starter. And let's be honest, he doesn't have a great line to protect him right now. And probably doesn't have the weapons that are needed to thrive in this offense. It would have been interesting to see how the Air Force game ended if Leonard didn't cough up that ball.

Peace,
Last edited by JimmyDimes on Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7220 Report
Buckaroo

You make some good points JC and as always you have a way with words.

ACS probably is a little overhyped his running ability is on scrambling only and the zone reads with him are pretty painful. Was Benjamin the answer at QB???...heck no but with the staff going heavy after QB's in this recruiting cycle that says all you need to know. DC doesn't trust ACS to run the system he would like to run.

The coaching staff is very young and it's showing. You get what you pay for folks and the reason we have a young staff is because we refuse to pay regular asst. coach wages.
Wind River Poke
Ranch Hand

"It would have been interesting to see how the Air Force game ended if Leonard didn't cough up that ball." Really Jimmy? How about It would have been interesting to see how the Air Force game ended if ACS would not have thrown an interception? Or, It would have been interesting to see how the Air Force game ended if the coaching staff would have gotten of their nuts and tried to score before halftime? How about It would have been interesting to see how the Air Force game ended if the coaching staff would have made adjustments, ya know, like the AFA coaches did?
Damn Leonard, it was all his fault.
“God bless Wyoming and keep it wild.”
-Helen Mettler, age 15, 1925
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Wind River Poke wrote:"It would have been interesting to see how the Air Force game ended if Leonard didn't cough up that ball." Really Jimmy? How about It would have been interesting to see how the Air Force game ended if ACS would not have thrown an interception? Or, It would have been interesting to see how the Air Force game ended if the coaching staff would have gotten of their nuts and tried to score before halftime? How about It would have been interesting to see how the Air Force game ended if the coaching staff would have made adjustments, ya know, like the AFA coaches did?
Damn Leonard, it was all his fault.
Yes really. ACS threw that pick on our first series. It probably had an affect on the outcome, but not nearly the affect of fumbling the ball on the 50 in the 4th qtr when we had a chance to win the game. It wasn't a slam on Leonard, but more of a "what could have been" scenerio and a very good chance to beat a top 25 team.

And if you want to go there, it was Leonard who fumbled. Who do you want to blame for that?

ps. I guess some fans don't understand the concept of building a program and expect results over night. Well, DC took us to and won a bowl game in his first year. The only coach in Wyoming history to do so. But now that we got beat by a couple top 5 team, everything sucks and the sky is falling.
Last edited by JimmyDimes on Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Wow & maybe lol.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Hammerschmidt doesn't coach at wyo anymore and I think Derek Sage is an upgrade overhim, but I do think ACS was overrated but I believe he is still a decent D1 QB. Can ACS get us a conference championship? I truly doubt it but I think he can make us a winning team every year, and that is going in the right direction until DC and Arroyo can recruit an excellent qb.
Wind River Poke
Ranch Hand

I know all too well about rebuilding a program. Hasn't it been going on for over a decade now? I don't think anyone is complaining about being 2-4, actually, we were close to being 1-5 right now.
Did I think we were going to pull off those wins, hell no, I'm not stupid. Did I expect a little more effort and enthusiasm, hell yes.
My beef is we lost to those top 5 teams 130-13. No excuses for giving up 130 points and only scoring 13. Even the sheep held TCU to only 27 points and that really sucks.
I'm tired Mr. Dimes, for 40 years I have been glued to the radio, mostly, listening, cheering, cussing, etc. My stomach is full of excuses, rebuilding, and all the heartache that comes from being a Cowboy Football fan.
You keep up the fight and the optimism and I will go toddle around in the woods and try to find a blind, slow, deaf elk! The odds of me finding one of those is just as good as a victory on Saturday. If either happens I will be back to tell you I was full of poop!
In the words of jcintherock...Peace.
“God bless Wyoming and keep it wild.”
-Helen Mettler, age 15, 1925
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Wind River Poke wrote:I know all too well about rebuilding a program. Hasn't it been going on for over a decade now? I don't think anyone is complaining about being 2-4, actually, we were close to being 1-5 right now.
Did I think we were going to pull off those wins, hell no, I'm not stupid. Did I expect a little more effort and enthusiasm, hell yes.
My beef is we lost to those top 5 teams 130-13. No excuses for giving up 130 points and only scoring 13. Even the sheep held TCU to only 27 points and that really sucks.
I'm tired Mr. Dimes, for 40 years I have been glued to the radio, mostly, listening, cheering, cussing, etc. My stomach is full of excuses, rebuilding, and all the heartache that comes from being a Cowboy Football fan.
You keep up the fight and the optimism and I will go toddle around in the woods and try to find a blind, slow, deaf elk! The odds of me finding one of those is just as good as a victory on Saturday. If either happens I will be back to tell you I was full of s##t!
In the words of jcintherock...Peace.
If need be, you can post a pic of the elk you shoot. :twocents:

Good post JC, I agree and disagree with points, but still a good post.
ImageImageImageImage
gbpoke
Cowpoke

Wind River Poke wrote:My beef is we lost to those top 5 teams 130-13. No excuses for giving up 130 points and only scoring 13. Even the sheep held TCU to only 27 points and that really sucks.
Actually giving up 130 points isn't too bad considering they were 3 (Texas is no longer) top 5 teams. That's like 43 ppg, not great but it could easily have been much, much worse. Now the 13 points the Pokes scored in those three games is much more disappointing. I would've hoped that the offense would have shown some sort of improvement with the new weapons acquired on the offensive side of the ball in recruiting, but it seems to have regressed. I personally don't put much stock in what the scores of other games are, yeah the sheep only gave up 27 to TCU but then they gave up what almost 50 to Air Force who we held to 20 the week before. Some teams just match up better against certain teams, you really can't compare like that especially in the college game.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

We should probably wait until the season is over before we start ripping the coaching staff or the players. I think a guy should give a coach at least three years. Would it have been better if DC only won 3 games in his first season and then went 6-6 and then winning the NM bowl? It would have shown improvement.

I would have liked to see the offense get better, but they haven't. I don't mind a little regression this year just because last year exceeded my expectations. If the offense isn't marketably better next year, I"ll start getting pissed. I hate getting piss pounded by the best teams as much as the next guy, but what do you expect. We aren't even close to a top 25 team.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

Yeah we should wait until the season is over before we try to compare it to the past. No team will have up stats after playing the toughest 5 game stretch in the history of the program. At least by year end there will be a little better comparison, but it still won't be perfect. I can guarantee our offensive and defensive stats will be better at year end than they are now. Comparing now would be like judging an entire game based on only the first half, or being pissed your 10 year kid can't hit the stud 12 year old pitcher in his first game before he has a chance to bat against some of the other kids. The picture will look different at the end of the year, we may not like it, but at least it will be a much clearer picture.

Look at Alabama....some analysts are making a big deal about Bama "playing 3 ranked teams in a row and that is why they lost....no one can manage that schedule", yeah tell us about it.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!