You make the call...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
PokePride.com
Cowpoke

They did a you make the call at the game today from a Utah/Wyoming game in 1988 where The Pokes won 69-18. Scoring 69 points in one game back in 1988, in 2010 we will be lucky to score 69 points all season. Just something I thought about when I saw the "you make the call" at the game.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

Actually, it was 62-18. And it was Paul Roach's 62nd birthday that day.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

PokePride.com wrote:They did a you make the call at the game today from a Utah/Wyoming game in 1988 where The Pokes won 69-18. Scoring 69 points in one game back in 1988, in 2010 we will be lucky to score 69 points all season. Just something I thought about when I saw the "you make the call" at the game.
A couple of things (and someone also pointed out what you said).

1. The 1988 team had had a few years to get the players they needed to be a top 20 team (if memory serves).
2. Utah was still the POS that they had been for the last 80 years at that point.
3. At about that time, the WAC was a high octane offense conference (well, the bigger/better programs were).
4. We need at least another year or two before we can really start lighting up the scoreboard like that, in order to get the players we really need.
5. Yes, the offense sucks right now, but so does a lot of the play calling (running for the first on a 3rd and long for example).
6. I don't know if ACS will be a starter much longer, as it seems he doesn't want to throw a forward pass. He'll lateral, but won't go forward with it, even with wide open recievers. :tickedoff:
PokePride.com
Cowpoke

fromolwyoming wrote:
PokePride.com wrote:They did a you make the call at the game today from a Utah/Wyoming game in 1988 where The Pokes won 69-18. Scoring 69 points in one game back in 1988, in 2010 we will be lucky to score 69 points all season. Just something I thought about when I saw the "you make the call" at the game.
A couple of things (and someone also pointed out what you said).

1. The 1988 team had had a few years to get the players they needed to be a top 20 team (if memory serves).
2. Utah was still the POS that they had been for the last 80 years at that point.
3. At about that time, the WAC was a high octane offense conference (well, the bigger/better programs were).
4. We need at least another year or two before we can really start lighting up the scoreboard like that, in order to get the players we really need.
5. Yes, the offense sucks right now, but so does a lot of the play calling (running for the first on a 3rd and long for example).
6. I don't know if ACS will be a starter much longer, as it seems he doesn't want to throw a forward pass. He'll lateral, but won't go forward with it, even with wide open recievers. :tickedoff:
I have to stick up for ACS as right now he is about the only thing The Pokes offense has. He can run the plays called and can only run those if the O'line blocks for him. It seems that the O'line knows ACS can run and does not block as well for him as they do for Dax Crum.

I agree you do not run it on 3rd and long but on the flip of that if Alvester Alexander would stop the damn dancing and just run the ball he would pick up 2 or 3 more yards per play and maybe we would not be in as many 3rd and longs.

To follow up on that if we want to run the spread then when we are down 25 late in the 3rd early in the 4th then why don't we try and run the spread. What I mean we may not have the athletes to run it now but if we try at least we can get the athletes to do it the guys we have now will know how to run it.

Coach needs to do something to keep the fans in the stands and this dink-and-dunk poop does not do it. Open up the play book when we are down so we can see what we really have.

Maybe we will hit on something and we can get that comeback win that we so badly need.

This post is just touching the surface as I will be doing a whole lot more on The Pokes this week on Poke Pride. I just had to vent a little here.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

I know ACS can run, but I am talking about plays were he did have good protection and had wide open recievers, but he did not throw to them. I, and everyone around my area noticed it. He did not throw down field much at all after the 1st quarter, and none at all after the half.
PokePride.com
Cowpoke

I agree he misses some reads but I still believe he gives us our best chance to win overall. If we would go pro style one week I would say you have to go with Crum, but with what currently call an offense (do we really have one) ACS is our best option.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

PokePride.com wrote:I agree he misses some reads but I still believe he gives us our best chance to win overall. If we would go pro style one week I would say you have to go with Crum, but with what currently call an offense (do we really have one) ACS is our best option.
I'm not talking about the read option. I'm talking about plays where he is looking down field, recievers are open, and he either dumps it off, throws it away, or runs it. He did not even try to throw down field. I'm annoyed at it, but in more of a concerned way.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

fromolwyoming wrote:
PokePride.com wrote:I agree he misses some reads but I still believe he gives us our best chance to win overall. If we would go pro style one week I would say you have to go with Crum, but with what currently call an offense (do we really have one) ACS is our best option.
I'm not talking about the read option. I'm talking about plays where he is looking down field, recievers are open, and he either dumps it off, throws it away, or runs it. He did not even try to throw down field. I'm annoyed at it, but in more of a concerned way.
I think that's the reason I've been so impressed with Dax these last couple of days. Yes, he's not mobile, and gets sacked....BUT...he goes through his progressions and makes sure his receivers are covered before ACS's favorite play, the ole "Oh sh!t...run!" That's one reason Dax was able to score and ACS didn't.

I know that may sound like I'm bashin' on ACS, which isn't the point. Dax isn't that bad, and ACS needs to chill a bit more and LOOK TO THROW BEFORE HE RUNS. :twocents:
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Our offense actually looked better when we ran five wr and not using a fullback during the utah game. I don't have a problem with the dink and dunk as long as it is a forward pass( 4-5 yards up field not 0-2, the laterals just don't work.