What an Uplifting Game!!

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

WyoVaquero wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:57 am Georgia Tech did not start running the triple option until 2008 or 09. Calvin Johnson played for Chan Gailey when he was at Georgia Tech.
Good catch. They were still a run-first team his freshman year, though. Stats for the season:

Passing:
169/346 - 2,210 yards - 48.8 comp.% - 6.4 yds/catch - 17 TD - 8 INT
Rushing:
486 carries - 1,947 yards - 4.0 YPC - 11 TD

Wyoming this season:

Passing:
112/224 - 1,404 yards - 50.0 comp % - 6.3 yds/catch - 10 TD - 10 INT
Rushing:
375 carries - 1,728 yards - 4.6 YPC - 14 TD
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Pokes still will not get near the attempts or yards of that season and they only played 11 games back then. I hope Neyor stays, but even if we attempt more passes next year, Williams or Chambers cannot get him the ball. Transferring to another school doesnt mean he is a me first guy, as far as I'm concerned he must be loyal to his family and himself first. If he thinks transferring to another school can improve his chances of getting drafted, than he should definitely transfer. Plus I think you will see a few other receivers transfer as well.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Remember Josh Doctson? He caught 35 passes and 5 td's from Brett Smith his freshman year. He transferred to TCU and ended up as a 1st round draft pick.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:28 am
WYO1016 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:04 am Just for fun, let's take a look at Neyor's stats vs. Calvin Johnson's stats their freshman seasons. Johson played at Georgia Tech, a triple option school.

Neyor through 9 games:
26 catches - 462 yards - 17.8 YPC - 8 TD

Johnson his entire frosh season:
48 catches - 837 yards - 17.4 YPC - 7 TD

I am not by any means saying that Neyor is the next Megatron, but Georgia Tech showed exactly how to use an extraordinarily talented receiver and still be a run-first offense. These numbers are eerily similar, especially when considering that they are physically alike, too.
Great and interesting comparison!

The Neyor should transfer so he can get more catches argument is poop. Talent is noticed by NFL scouts wherever the talent comes from and regardless as to offensive or defensive philosophy. Hell Danny Woodhead had a successful NFL career out of Chadron State despite many calling for him to transfer to a bigger school and there are numerous other examples. Barring injury or arrest or something else crazy, Neyor will get drafted (and drafted high) regardless of school affiliation. Did playing at Wyoming prevent Josh Allen from being drafted high or having a successful NFL career? Get real.

Some of these arguments about Neyor should transfer remind me of a ‘me first’ attitude. It’s like some of you have never played on a team where you become close with your teammates and play for them just as much if not more than you play for yourself.
I'm not saying he SHOULD transfer. I'm just guessing he will, or at least won't be surprised if he does. Josh Doctson is my comparison.

Danny Woodhead also put up crazy stats, set records, and got the ball non-stop. I doubt if he just got 5 touches per game, he would've got to where he did. He didn't get invited to the combine and he didn't get drafted.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

While it’s nice to beat CSU, it’s the type of game the casual fan and higher ups will hold onto and pretend all is OK. “Hey we beat the sheep!” Ignoring the reality of the many problems with the program.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:02 pm Remember Josh Doctson? He caught 35 passes and 5 td's from Brett Smith his freshman year. He transferred to TCU and ended up as a 1st round draft pick.
Had a chance to talk to a former player from that year's team. Christensen apparently was an uber-douche (which doesn't surprise any of us on this board), which caused Doctson and others to get out of Dodge ASAP. The only reason this player didn't is because he was a senior.

When speaking of that embarrasing loss to Temple in the New Mexico Bowl he told me, "We didn't run any of the plays that we had practiced in the whole run-up to the game. We'd run some of those plays during the season, but most of it was things we'd only ever seen on paper." This is paraphrasing based on my memory of the conversation, but the point remains.

I don't think Bohl causes near as much strife in the locker room. Neyor also seems like a very selfless player, rather than a me-first kind of guy. I hope he sticks around.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy

WYO1016 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:18 pm
Had a chance to talk to a former player from that year's team. Christensen apparently was an uber-douche (which doesn't surprise any of us on this board), which caused Doctson and others to get out of Dodge ASAP. The only reason this player didn't is because he was a senior.
Gary Patterson is one of the most notorious douches ever, so choosing him is saying something!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:02 pm Remember Josh Doctson? He caught 35 passes and 5 td's from Brett Smith his freshman year. He transferred to TCU and ended up as a 1st round draft pick.
I’d say he’s the outlier. Remember ACS? Most dudes transfer and disappear. although the new transfer rules could be enticing to our starters. I wonder how many starters on our current roster would start on a mid to upper level P5 program. I can’t imagine there’s too many. Neyor looks to be one and perhaps muma.
W-Y, Until I Die!
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy

laxwyo wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:06 pm
I’d say he’s the outlier. Remember ACS? Most dudes transfer and disappear. although the new transfer rules could be enticing to our starters. I wonder how many starters on our current roster would start on a mid to upper level P5 program. I can’t imagine there’s too many. Neyor looks to be one and perhaps muma.
ACS became a starter for an SEC school and had a significantly better QB rating than any year he had in Wyoming. He definitely did not disappear.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:43 pm
laxwyo wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:06 pm
ACS became a starter for an SEC school and had a significantly better QB rating than any year he had in Wyoming. He definitely did not disappear.
W-Y, Until I Die!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

calpoke25 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:36 pm While it’s nice to beat CSU, it’s the type of game the casual fan and higher ups will hold onto and pretend all is OK. “Hey we beat the sheep!” Ignoring the reality of the many problems with the program.
This is the best post and oooh so true...i hope Neyor stays but i think he's another Doctson, unfortunately