@Fresno

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:31 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:20 pm Time to book your flight to Vegas for the tournament. It looks like the worst we will be is the 2 seed, and very possibly the 1 seed. This will be the first year in quite a while that won't have to play a Wednesday game. We really made the game look quite routine in spite of some of the silly officiating at the end.
Or book your flights to Laramie to support this team (just talking to everyone)
I like this better lol.
Im goin to both regardless

9 big games left 5 at home 4 on road....buckle up should be fun
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Linder now on Nebraska’s radar.

This is Hoibergs salary there. He might get fired after this year unless they restructure his deal and keep him for another year.

His base salary is outlined below: He has incentives on top of that.

Year 1: $2.5 million
Year 2: $3 million
Year 3: $3.5 million
Year 4: $3.5 million
Year 5: $3.5 million
Year 6: $3.5 million
Year 7: $3.5 million

Heard from the other board that Wyoming is already in talks with Linder to keep him here but not sure Wyoming can come close to competing with that salary unless they get boosters to step up.

I know he is on Kansas States radar as well.

We better enjoy this season cause Linder may not be here next year.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:03 pm Linder now on Nebraska’s radar.

This is Hoibergs salary there. He might get fired after this year unless they restructure his deal and keep him for another year.

Heard from the other board that Wyoming is already in talks with Linder to keep him here but not sure Wyoming can come close to competing with that salary unless they get boosters to step up.

Don’t know why, but I feel Linder will stick around a few years. We’ll scrape together something, and I just think Linder will stay for a couple years
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Some daddy high roller needs to step up and lock up Linder, staff and team for the next few years. We don't lose anyone this season unless they want to go.

Someone needs to front some dough so we can see this team through and build a few years of sustained success.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Old-Bull wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:46 pm Some daddy high roller needs to step up and lock up Linder, staff and team for the next few years. We don't lose anyone this season unless they want to go.

Someone needs to front some dough so we can see this team through and build a few years of sustained success.
As much as I would hope Maldonado and Jeffries would come back next year, I don’t think they will. Both can get paid to play ball and I imagine they both leave. Especially Maldonado.

Old-Bull
Cowpoke

seattlecowboy wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:05 pm
Old-Bull wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:46 pm Some daddy high roller needs to step up and lock up Linder, staff and team for the next few years. We don't lose anyone this season unless they want to go.

As much as I would hope Maldonado and Jeffries would come back next year, I don’t think they will. Both can get paid to play ball and I imagine they both leave. Especially Maldonado.
Maybe they could play in Europe or the D league, but would you leave a team with real tourney chances for that? I dont know if I would.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Nebraska has been a coaching graveyard. They have 2 20 win seasons since 2000. It's amazing Hoiberg is getting that much money for absolutely horrific results. Nebraska has won 5 conference games in the last 3 years. I'm just going to enjoy this season and forget about Linder's future. I'd much rather have a coach that everyone wants rather than this board wondering who the next coach is going to be! We are on the verge of the MW title and that's all we should think about. Before our AD lowballs Linder, someone should point out to the powers that be the huge amount of free publicity the school gets when we are on national tv and beating PAC 12 teams like Washington on the road. Whether they care or not will be answered soon, I suppose.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Old-Bull wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:42 pm
seattlecowboy wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:05 pm

Maybe they could play in Europe or the D league, but would you leave a team with real tourney chances for that? I dont know if I would.
I would definitely leave to play in Europe. You can make really good money in those leagues. Plus if you have already been at a place for 5 years and had already got your degree not really much reason to stay. It’s not like he is going to improve his stock anymore than it already is at this point for the most part, unless he starts hitting a bunch of 3’s also and wants to come back to show that. (Maldonado I’m speaking off)

I’m pretty sure Linder already knows they planned on leaving based on recruiting he has done. Or he knows who he is going to tell they need to leave.

He has Caden Powell signed for next year and teams can only have 13 scholarship players. Wyoming has 13 scholarship players right now and 2 walk ons. So somebody is leaving after this year for sure that is on scholarship.

seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:44 pm

Nebraska has been a coaching graveyard. They have 2 20 win seasons since 2000. It's amazing Hoiberg is getting that much money for absolutely horrific results. Nebraska has won 5 conference games in the last 3 years. I'm just going to enjoy this season and forget about Linder's future. I'd much rather have a coach that everyone wants rather than this board wondering who the next coach is going to be! We are on the verge of the MW title and that's all we should think about. Before our AD lowballs Linder, someone should point out to the powers that be the huge amount of free publicity the school gets when we are on national tv and beating PAC 12 teams like Washington on the road. Whether they care or not will be answered soon, I suppose.
Well Hoiberg is a proven coach though. Already did a great job at Iowa St and then coached in the NBA. So he will always get paid. I don’t think he is the problem there though.

Think like you said Nebraska is a basketball graveyard but if they pay Linder that much money I think he will leave. Linder might be the guy that could turn it around there. He has a proven record now of turning both teams he has coached into winners very fast after both schools were terrible before he got there.

Hopefully they don’t want him but he is being talked about now. Don’t see how Wyoming will keep him for very long unless some boosters step up, which probably won’t happen at Wyoming.

stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

PAY THE MAN, WE NEED LINDER FOR QUITE A FEW YEARS, DYNASTY AT 7220 IS BUILDING.....BEAT THE AGGIES!!! FANS HELP US PACK THE DOUBLE A!!!!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:07 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:44 pm

Well Hoiberg is a proven coach though. Already did a great job at Iowa St and then coached in the NBA. So he will always get paid. I don’t think he is the problem there though.

Think like you said Nebraska is a basketball graveyard but if they pay Linder that much money I think he will leave. Linder might be the guy that could turn it around there. He has a proven record now of turning both teams he has coached into winners very fast after both schools were terrible before he got there.

Hopefully they don’t want him but he is being talked about now. Don’t see how Wyoming will keep him for very long unless some boosters step up, which probably won’t happen at Wyoming.
I'm aware of Hoiberg's past success. But his results at Nebraska are startling. They've won 20 games in the last 3 years combined and are 0-12 in the conference this year. I guess it just goes to show that a lot of factors go into a successful program.
I know we aren't going to pay Linder 3 million/year. But would he stay if we made him the highest paid coach in the MW? At least in the MW he isn't having to play Big 10 level teams on a nightly basis. He will have to recruit 5 star talent just to compete against the Michigans and Wisconsins and all the other perennial top 20 programs in the big 10. For whatever reason, coaches have not been able to sell Nebraska to Big 10 recruits.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

There’s a fine line between making more money but leaving a tournament competitive team. A part of coaching is success. I’d imagine I’d have a hard time taking more money but leaving a team I built just to rebuild again to make it to the same place I was a few years ago. He won’t be short of offers. I’m sure he’ll analyze his team each year and make a decision. It’s not like this is a team with 5 starting seniors.
W-Y, Until I Die!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

We will find out if MWC teams are on a level with B 10 teams come the big dance. I think we are close.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

laxwyo wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:29 am There’s a fine line between making more money but leaving a tournament competitive team. A part of coaching is success. I’d imagine I’d have a hard time taking more money but leaving a team I built just to rebuild again to make it to the same place I was a few years ago. He won’t be short of offers. I’m sure he’ll analyze his team each year and make a decision. It’s not like this is a team with 5 starting seniors.
Brandenburg...*cough* *cough*...

:popcorn:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

laxwyo wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:29 am There’s a fine line between making more money but leaving a tournament competitive team. A part of coaching is success. I’d imagine I’d have a hard time taking more money but leaving a team I built just to rebuild again to make it to the same place I was a few years ago. He won’t be short of offers. I’m sure he’ll analyze his team each year and make a decision. It’s not like this is a team with 5 starting seniors.
Tim Miles comes to mind. He had it rolling at CSU, went to Nebraska, made his money, flamed out hard and now coaches San Jose (for twice as much as Wyoming). Is the money worth it? MAybe, maybe not. But, Linder can afford to be choosy. Also, I think you make a great point with the 5 seniors thing. The fact we are so young really helps our case in keeping Linder.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

DP
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:26 am
Also, I think you make a great point with the 5 seniors thing. The fact we are so young really helps our case in keeping Linder.
Does it? A coach can basically leave and take his whole team with him in the era of college free agency.

What may keep Linder here are: (1) program support; and (2) a competitive salary. We need to pack the AA.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:00 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:26 am
Also, I think you make a great point with the 5 seniors thing. The fact we are so young really helps our case in keeping Linder.
Does it? A coach can basically leave and take his whole team with him in the era of college free agency.

What may keep Linder here are: (1) program support; and (2) a competitive salary. We need to pack the AA.
I think it does. If Linder thinks he can build on his success it may set him up for an ever better job. Certainly better than 5 seniors and him thinking he needs to jump ship before it sinks.

Yup. Need to somehow get the man some more $$$$