New coach…

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
HomeOnTheRange
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

wypoke wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:43 pm 1. Bohl and his crony assistant coaches cannot evaluate talent, develop players or be innovative.
I don't know who was leading our recruiting efforts in the lead up to the 2016 season but that roster was so loaded with dudes who played in the NFL that the disparity between it and this current roster looks soooo stark. And the lack of talent on this roster can't entirely be attributed to the transfer portal. Seems they go after a lot of skill talent dudes who would be lucky to start at Weber St, Elon or Wofford

was Gordie Haug the head of recruiting back in 2016? He is listed with that title now and I can't imagine he was responsible for identifying all that NFL talent
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

HomeOnTheRange wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:41 pm I really don't think Bohl is in any danger of losing his job. Burman has retained some coaches for long periods of time without any notable success to speak of (Volleyball, XC/T&F, Men's and Women's Golf, Women's Tennis, etc). I bet Bohl's run of bowl games and being bowl eligible has built up enough equity for him to have a few rough seasons in a row

on that note, I am really looking forward to the day that Tom Burman wakes up and demands an excellent distance running program
It's not going to happen. Non revenue producing sports are not a priority - at Wyoming or any where else. CU has many national championship teams and individuals under Mark Wetmore and his salary is well under 200k a year. CSU's track and cross country coach (Art Siemers) quit because his wife got a job opportunity out of state. Apparently, his salary was not even enough to keep him at CSU. And their program was very good with him there. Most of Wyoming's recruits are from Wyoming and Colorado. That's not much of a recruiting base. And I would guess the recruiting budget is pretty small.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

HomeOnTheRange wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:48 pm
wypoke wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:43 pm 1. Bohl and his crony assistant coaches cannot evaluate talent, develop players or be innovative.
I don't know who was leading our recruiting efforts in the lead up to the 2016 season but that roster was so loaded with dudes who played in the NFL that the disparity between it and this current roster looks soooo stark. And the lack of talent on this roster can't entirely be attributed to the transfer portal. Seems they go after a lot of skill talent dudes who would be lucky to start at Weber St, Elon or Wofford

was Gordie Haug the head of recruiting back in 2016? He is listed with that title now and I can't imagine he was responsible for identifying all that NFL talent
The word is out. It doesn't surprise me at all that we can't get skills players including QB. Neyor was an outlier.

I'm a little surprised linemen aren't knocking on the door. All the hard nose, old-school, beat em up, etc stuff might not resonate with modern recruits.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Some of those were still DC recruits……
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Scott Frost will be available soon
I'm good for 3!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

calpoke25 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:21 am

All the good pass catchers were DC recruits
wypoke
Buckaroo

FOR SALE:
(2) Season Tickets...cheap. Will consider also including a gasoline card.

Thanks Craig Bohl for freeing up my Saturdays. Now I can perform needed chores around place.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:33 am

Plus Brian Hill.

Outside of one diamond in the rough QB and few nice runningbacks, Bohl hasn't recruited, developed, or been able to keep any real offensive talent in 9 seasons. Even the other basement MWC teams at least have some nice offensive weapons that cycle through.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

Tom Herman, Hugh Freeze, Major Applewhite, Scott Frost…
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

The word is definitely out. And honestly I can’t blame ‘em.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Poke in New England wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:18 am

Plus Brian Hill.

Outside of one diamond in the rough QB and few nice runningbacks, Bohl hasn't recruited, developed, or been able to keep any real offensive talent in 9 seasons. Even the other basement MWC teams at least have some nice offensive weapons that cycle through.
This simply isn’t true. Both Brian Hill and Jacob Hollister were Bohl recruits who visited, committed and signed with Wyoming shortly after Bohl was named head coach.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:33 am Both Brian Hill and Jacob Hollister were Bohl recruits who visited, committed and signed with Wyoming shortly after Bohl was named head coach.
Bohl wasn't a failing coach then.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:33 am

Plus Brian Hill.

This simply isn’t true. Both Brian Hill and Jacob Hollister were Bohl recruits who visited, committed and signed with Wyoming shortly after Bohl was named head coach.
Pretty sure hollister was recruited (discovered) by DC and signed with the pokes when Bohl said he would honor the commitment after he was hired
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:40 pm

Plus Brian Hill.

Pretty sure hollister was recruited (discovered) by DC and signed with the pokes when Bohl said he would honor the commitment after he was hired
Dave Christensen was fired on December 1 (had to wait until December because of contract although it was known weeks before). Craig Bohl was introduced as head coach on December 8. Hollister made his initial commitment on December 18.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:46 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:40 pm

Plus Brian Hill.

Dave Christensen was fired on December 1 (had to wait until December because of contract although it was known weeks before). Craig Bohl was introduced as head coach on December 8. Hollister made his initial commitment on December 18.
Pretty sure DC discovered him and was recruiting him first and Bohl continued recruiting him
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Honestly, it might be time to consider cutting salaries and investments in football. Schedule really light ooc and still make a meaningless bowl 3 out of 5 years. Field a team but focus on bball.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

There has to be a "Linder" type out there, that would want to step into what is WYO football - with the facilities, the support, etc., and turn this bitch around. Has to be.

For starters:

Morgan Scalley
Jim Leonhard
Alex Grinch (do I dare say the one from the DC pipeline)?
Scottie Hazelton
Derek Mason
Andy Ludwig
Pete Kaligis
Eric Morris

Etc., Etc., Etc...
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
HomeOnTheRange
Buckaroo

McPeachy wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:22 am There has to be a "Linder" type out there, that would want to step into what is WYO football - with the facilities, the support, etc., and turn this bitch around. Has to be.

For starters:

Morgan Scalley
Jim Leonhard
Scottie Hazelton
Derek Mason
Andy Ludwig
Pete Kaligis
Eric Morris

Etc., Etc., Etc...
will guarantee Derek Mason wouldn't want to coach in the state of WY

the state has some things about it that make it great, also has some things that make it extremely unattractive to people....especially people of color. Lotta folks on here will get upset about that, but it is simply a fact

state needs to get a hate crime law on the books and diversify its economy beyond fossil fuels (if they do this the university won't keep having to trim its budget by 8% every other year). Would go a long way to improving the overall reputation of the university and the athletics department's ability to recruit against their conference peers
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

HomeOnTheRange wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:45 pm
McPeachy wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:22 am There has to be a "Linder" type out there, that would want to step into what is WYO football - with the facilities, the support, etc., and turn this bitch around. Has to be.

For starters:

Morgan Scalley
Jim Leonhard
Scottie Hazelton
Derek Mason
Andy Ludwig
Pete Kaligis
Eric Morris

Etc., Etc., Etc...

the state has some things about it that make it great, also has some things that make it extremely unattractive to people....especially people of color. Lotta folks on here will get upset about that, but it is simply a fact

state needs to get a hate crime law on the books and diversify its economy beyond fossil fuels (if they do this the university won't keep having to trim its budget by 8% every other year). Would go a long way to improving the overall reputation of the university and the athletics department's ability to recruit against their conference peers
Wut
HomeOnTheRange
Buckaroo

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:47 pm
HomeOnTheRange wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:45 pm

For starters:

Morgan Scalley
Jim Leonhard
Scottie Hazelton
Derek Mason
Andy Ludwig
Pete Kaligis
Eric Morris

Etc., Etc., Etc...

Wut
again, people here won't like it. But it is true. The university does not have the ability to attract or retain the best people in the country because a lot of people view WY as a backwards state (and it is in many regards). Simple facts, not fake news. A recruit has a chance to go to school in CO or CA, they ain't coming to WY

time to get with the times