Fire Craig Bohl...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

I'm a late joiner to this club, but I have arrived. After the mass exodus last season and the abysmal showing yesterday, it's pretty obvious to everyone he needs to go.

I doubt if there's anyone left in the Wyoming fan base that doesn't agree with this.

What's his buy-out?
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Old-Bull wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:40 am I'm a late joiner to this club, but I have arrived. After the mass exodus last season and the abysmal showing yesterday, it's pretty obvious to everyone he needs to go.

I doubt if there's anyone left in the Wyoming fan base that doesn't agree with this.

What's his buy-out?
Too much most likely. When he was given the extension in 2020 I do not know how that impacted the buyout. However, most likely we would owe him somewhere in the neighborhood of $3M.

The original contract stipulated that if he was terminated for any reason other than a few select reasons (NCAA violations or similar) than UW would owe him the full amount of guaranteed compensation through the end of the contract period.

If that provision was extended in the 2020 extension, which it most likely was, than UW would owe him somewhere in the neighborhood of $3M if fired with 2 years to go.

Please recall that we couldn’t afford an extra year of Allen Edwards buyout which was like $300k.

Either Bohl willingly gives up compensation or allows UW to pay him over time, or we are stick with him for 2 more years after this year.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

It’s inexcusable to trot out that type of offense. Bohl has proven without Josh Allen he is in way over his head. He needs to do the right thing and retire at the end of the year
wypoke
Buckaroo

GREAT written article on the Mountain West Wire about our neanderthal coach Craig Bohl.

The article is entitled, "Time For Craig Bohl To Stop The Claim He Knows Quarterbacks."

The article addresses what we "Little League" coaches have been saying for sometime.

Would love to take Bohl's blood pressure if he ever reads the article!

Bet the Wyoming beat writers never ask Bohl about the article. In my opinion, they are as lame as he is.
Wicks
Blog Team
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Welcome to the party folks!

I'be been writing for years now that Bohl has no clue how to run a D1 offense and we've been sold a bill of goods. I was told I was a negative influence who was "bring ing down the program."

Can things get better? Yes. Will they get better? No.

Problem is the UW admin and Burman don't give a damn.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

At this point, we are a program that loses talent. Bohl didn't create the situation that causes all of the transfer stuff but he is never going to be a beneficiary of it. The game has changed out from under him, simple as that.

As Wicks points out...there is a problem at the admin level that whoever replaces Bohl will most likely be unable to overcome as well. The slow motion disaster of college football for Wyoming and teams like Wyoming bums me out. There is probably some program out there on the outside of the P5 that finds a model to succeed...anybody want to bet me a month's paycheck that it's going to be Wyoming?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:43 pm It’s inexcusable to trot out that type of offense. Bohl has proven without Josh Allen he is in way over his head. He needs to do the right thing and retire at the end of the year
And if he refuses, and limps to a 2 or 3 win season (again), will it be up to the fanbase to put so much negative pressure on him, that he has no choice but to retire?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

307bball wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:19 pm At this point, we are a program that loses talent. Bohl didn't create the situation that causes all of the transfer stuff but he is never going to be a beneficiary of it. The game has changed out from under him, simple as that.

As Wicks points out...there is a problem at the admin level that whoever replaces Bohl will most likely be unable to overcome as well. The slow motion disaster of college football for Wyoming and teams like Wyoming bums me out. There is probably some program out there on the outside of the P5 that finds a model to succeed...anybody want to bet me a month's paycheck that it's going to be Wyoming?
Outside of the Josh Allen years, Bohl has not been good. CFB didn't leave him behind, just put him further behind.

If they didn't stumble on Allen, I doubt he'd still be here.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:57 am
307bball wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:19 pm At this point, we are a program that loses talent. Bohl didn't create the situation that causes all of the transfer stuff but he is never going to be a beneficiary of it. The game has changed out from under him, simple as that.

Outside of the Josh Allen years, Bohl has not been good. CFB didn't leave him behind, just put him further behind.

You are probably right...but he did stumble upon him and now we are on the tail end of the modern college football coaching cycle at Wyoming.

The issue is not whether Bohl deserves credit for the success while JA was under center (he does btw), the issue is whether the HC position is the underlying problem. It's possible that Bohl is no good and it doesn't matter. I'm with Wicks that there are bigger problems in Laramie than the HC. They may even be problems with the structure of college football in which case we are chasing something that is never going to happen.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:30 am

You are probably right...but he did stumble upon him and now we are on the tail end of the modern college football coaching cycle at Wyoming.

The issue is not whether Bohl deserves credit for the success while JA was under center (he does btw), the issue is whether the HC position is the underlying problem. It's possible that Bohl is no good and it doesn't matter. I'm with Wicks that there are bigger problems in Laramie than the HC. They may even be problems with the structure of college football in which case we are chasing something that is never going to happen.
Credit for JA doesn't matter. Craig Bohl teams with JA were solid. Craig Bohl teams without JA are pretty bad. It really is that simple and data suggests Bohl isn't a great coach unless he has a JA. That's the important part. Who gives a rat's ass about credit for JA?

Of course there are systemic problems but Bohl is not handicapped with resources, pay, or facilities relative to the MWC median. There is no excuse to field this type of O year after year. The systemic issues might account for the inability to win conference championships but can't be used as an excuse to field a totally incompetent offense year after year.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:10 am

Credit for JA doesn't matter. Craig Bohl teams with JA were solid. Craig Bohl teams without JA are pretty bad. It really is that simple and data suggests Bohl isn't a great coach unless he has a JA. That's the important part. Who gives a rat's A$$ about credit for JA?

Of course there are systemic problems but Bohl is not handicapped with resources, pay, or facilities relative to the MWC median. There is no excuse to field this type of O year after year. The systemic issues might account for the inability to win conference championships but can't be used as an excuse to field a totally incompetent offense year after year.
I pretty much completely agree with the bolded portion but not being handicapped by resources, pay, or facilities relative to the MWC median is not the same as them being an advantage. All you can really say is they aren't holding us back (in the MWC). If anybody has an axe to grind in the MWC it would be CSU ... they invest way more than us in football and have really nothing to show for it.

You and I have already had a lengthy disagreement on program investment and it's effect on college football outcomes and I don't want to re-hash that here. I'm merely pointing out that there is no need to minimize Bohl's success with the Josh Allen cowboys in order to be critical of him at this point. You may not be saying that ... and if so ... I apologize.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Noting negative about the JA years (maybe that group should have done better--i don't know).

All I'm saying is that was 2 years. There's 6 years and starting the 7th without JA. That's enough information to look at what CB can do without JA. It's not good.

I don't think we are seeing a regression or decline in CB. We are seeing what CB is. He just hasn't found another JA to cover up the bad parts of a CB program (i.e. mainly offense). That isn't taking anything away for the JA years. It's just pointing out the obvious fact CB needs someone like JA in order to have a functional O and decent team.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:16 am Noting negative about the JA years (maybe that group should have done better--i don't know).

All I'm saying is that was 2 years. There's 6 years and starting the 7th without JA. That's enough information to look at what CB can do without JA. It's not good.

I don't think we are seeing a regression or decline in CB. We are seeing what CB is. He just hasn't found another JA to cover up the bad parts of a CB program (i.e. mainly offense). That isn't taking anything away for the JA years. It's just pointing out the obvious fact CB needs someone like JA in order to have a functional O and decent team.
I see what you are seeing as well. For me, it fits the narrative of Wyoming coaches that struggle with the dumpster fire left by the previous coach for one or two years, then peak for one or two years, then slide into non-competitiveness within the conference. Happened to Glenn, Christiansen and now is happening to Bohl. For me, Bohl's peak (if you want to call it that) extended through 2019...which is two seasons with JA and two without. The 2019 team in particular was pretty tough....beat Missouri and almost had two road victories against SDSU and BSU so I don't think it is solely due to Allen. I acknowledge that this is a topic that reasonable people can disagree upon.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

I definitely think we underperformed relative to our talent in the Allen years. And I blame that almost entirely on the coaching of those players and the play calling. I agree with 307bball that we’re at a lot of disadvantages in Laramie, especially now. But those were teams that should have performed much better than they did. IIRC our offense was ranked middle of the pack 1 year under Allen, and that was the best we’ve ever done under Bohl. Well never get that level of talent on a Bohl roster again, I’m sure of that. So, we’ll always be in the bottom half, probably near bottom in terms of offensive production. There’s no reason to expect any different.

I really think Bohl does a fine job with defenses aside from a few years where he has to rebuild, like this year. But he puts those defenses in such a bad spot with his crap offense. It’s ironic, because his whole philosophy is to have an offense that protects the defense, TOP and all that. But he’s failed miserably at that.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

I hear Scott Frost might be looking for a job.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

Credit for JA doesn't matter. Craig Bohl teams with JA were solid. Craig Bohl teams without JA are pretty bad. It really is that simple and data suggests Bohl isn't a great coach unless he has a JA. That's the important part. Who gives a rat's A$$ about credit for JA?

There is an excuse for this type of O, because that is the offensive scheme Bohl wants. I said even when Vigen was here, that it wasn’t Vigen - he was running the offense Bohl wanted. Last year proved that correct.

I’m not arguing with you - I’m agreeing with you. There is no excuse - because this is what Bohls offense is, and he is never going to change. We’ll see run - run, 3rd and long, punt, as long as he is here. Sad harsh truth.
Cowduck
Cowpoke

When you handle a quarterback controversy so badly that *both* QBs leave the program afterwards, that's a fire-able offense. QED.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

So true, Bohl has only done well here when the player carries him. Similar to Dave Christensen, when he arrived they were selling him as an offensive guru. yet, if you remove the Chase Daniels seasons from his resume, his offenses are below average.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

cowboyz wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:50 pm

So true, Bohl has only done well here when the player carries him. Similar to Dave Christensen, when he arrived they were selling him as an offensive guru. yet, if you remove the Chase Daniels seasons from his resume, his offenses are below average.
The fact that people do worse in a team environment when key people around them leave is such a banal observation. This is one step from the argument that downgrades Phil Jackson because he had MJ and Kobe..... Or Bill Bellicheck is no good because he had Tom Brady. For a coach, that skill of attracting the best and the brightest and creating an environment where the best people want to be is what makes or breaks them. X's and O's is the bare minimum entry skill to the profession... Most coordinators are better at that part than the head guy anyways.