New coach…

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Please not Frost. Former Nebraska guy, Craig Bohl, has been difficult enough to pull for despite now coaching my team. No way I could support Mr Nebraska in any capacity even if he were wearing Brown and Gold.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

LawPoke wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:57 pm While you are at it, get a new play-by-play guy. Reese is god awful. The long line of great WYoming radio announcers is over. Wow.

As for Bohl, he is who we knew he was. This is not surprising. If Burman keeps him, he will see attendance fall next year. If he fires him, he better stay away from FCS for a replacement. It has not worked. We’ve picked national champ coaches and they’ve sucked. But I imagine Bohl will stay however long he wants to stay. We should shut down football, start hockey and throw all of our football investment at Linder.

Our team just sucks. We are really really bad. Can’t tackle. We have no receivers. TEs are invisible. Peasley is hot garbage. Lines on both sides are garbage. Punting? Crap. Hoyland is our only real player. And likely Swen. We might beat NoCo. I don’t see any other wins. If a team scores a singe touchdown, we are sunk.

When does basketball start?
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

LawPoke wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:57 pm While you are at it, get a new play-by-play guy. Reese is god awful. The long line of great WYoming radio announcers is over. Wow.

As for Bohl, he is who we knew he was. This is not surprising. If Burman keeps him, he will see attendance fall next year. If he fires him, he better stay away from FCS for a replacement. It has not worked. We’ve picked national champ coaches and they’ve sucked. But I imagine Bohl will stay however long he wants to stay. We should shut down football, start hockey and throw all of our football investment at Linder.

Our team just sucks. We are really really bad. Can’t tackle. We have no receivers. TEs are invisible. Peasley is hot garbage. Lines on both sides are garbage. Punting? Crap. Hoyland is our only real player. And likely Swen. We might beat NoCo. I don’t see any other wins. If a team scores a singe touchdown, we are sunk.

When does basketball start?
"god awful" is being very kind to the new play by play announcer. No concept of how incorporate information like down and distance into the flow of the play call let alone substitutions or field position.
I guess given how bad the team played, a bad announcer is par for the course.

n.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

HomeOnTheRange wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:45 pm
McPeachy wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:22 am There has to be a "Linder" type out there, that would want to step into what is WYO football - with the facilities, the support, etc., and turn this bitch around. Has to be.

For starters:

Morgan Scalley
Jim Leonhard
Alex Grinch (do I dare say the one from the DC pipeline)?
Scottie Hazelton
Derek Mason
Andy Ludwig
Pete Kaligis
Eric Morris

Etc., Etc., Etc...
will guarantee Derek Mason wouldn't want to coach in the state of WY

the state has some things about it that make it great, also has some things that make it extremely unattractive to people....especially people of color. Lotta folks on here will get upset about that, but it is simply a fact

state needs to get a hate crime law on the books and diversify its economy beyond fossil fuels (if they do this the university won't keep having to trim its budget by 8% every other year). Would go a long way to improving the overall reputation of the university and the athletics department's ability to recruit against their conference peers
If you are calling us racist, I disagree strongly!!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:49 pm
McPeachy wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:22 am There has to be a "Linder" type out there, that would want to step into what is WYO football - with the facilities, the support, etc., and turn this bitch around. Has to be.

For starters:

Morgan Scalley
Jim Leonhard
Scottie Hazelton
Derek Mason
Andy Ludwig
Pete Kaligis
Eric Morris

Etc., Etc., Etc...

the state has some things about it that make it great, also has some things that make it extremely unattractive to people....especially people of color. Lotta folks on here will get upset about that, but it is simply a fact

state needs to get a hate crime law on the books and diversify its economy beyond fossil fuels (if they do this the university won't keep having to trim its budget by 8% every other year). Would go a long way to improving the overall reputation of the university and the athletics department's ability to recruit against their conference peers
Uh, yeah, that's what I got out of that. Wyoming is about the least racist, most accepting place in the world. Complete rubbish. What he is basically saying is that most people prefer to live in big cities vs small towns and that small towns are racist, or something. not sure, but it's rubbish
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 2 times

HomeOnTheRange wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:48 pm
wypoke wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:43 pm 1. Bohl and his crony assistant coaches cannot evaluate talent, develop players or be innovative.
I don't know who was leading our recruiting efforts in the lead up to the 2016 season but that roster was so loaded with dudes who played in the NFL that the disparity between it and this current roster looks soooo stark. And the lack of talent on this roster can't entirely be attributed to the transfer portal. Seems they go after a lot of skill talent dudes who would be lucky to start at Weber St, Elon or Wofford

was Gordie Haug the head of recruiting back in 2016? He is listed with that title now and I can't imagine he was responsible for identifying all that NFL talent
While I don’t think there is much talent on this years roster, we haven’t been lacking. Look at the transfers - most of them transferred to high level P5 teams and are starting or backing up. Coldon at OU, Hearn at UCLA, Neyor at Texas (before his injury), X at ASU, Byrd at USC. All these guys are on the 2-deep.

There is no reason we aren’t competitive in the MW title race with talent like that, not to mention a sub 500 record in a weak MW Mountain. In my eyes, it’s schemes and coaching, plain and simple. At the end of the day, Bohl is going to go down as one of the most underachieving coaches in UW history.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:57 pm

For starters:

Morgan Scalley
Jim Leonhard
Scottie Hazelton
Derek Mason
Andy Ludwig
Pete Kaligis
Eric Morris

Etc., Etc., Etc...

Uh, yeah, that's what I got out of that. Wyoming is about the least racist, most accepting place in the world. Complete rubbish. What he is basically saying is that most people prefer to live in big cities vs small towns and that small towns are racist, or something. not sure, but it's rubbish
It's a cultural divide. In the same way that I don't appreciate LA or Miami... Other people don't gravitate towards the solitude and more nature based recreation that Wyoming excels in. My own anecdotal experience of having grown up in Wyoming and lived a large part of my adult life out of state suggests that my preference for the specific mix of amenities that Wyoming offers pots me into a decided minority. Doesn't make anybody a racist to notice that. People who are sensitive to social justice issues or abortion rights will also definitely think twice before moving to Wyoming.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 2 times

PokeNer wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:06 pm
HomeOnTheRange wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:48 pm
wypoke wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:43 pm 1. Bohl and his crony assistant coaches cannot evaluate talent, develop players or be innovative.
I don't know who was leading our recruiting efforts in the lead up to the 2016 season but that roster was so loaded with dudes who played in the NFL that the disparity between it and this current roster looks soooo stark. And the lack of talent on this roster can't entirely be attributed to the transfer portal. Seems they go after a lot of skill talent dudes who would be lucky to start at Weber St, Elon or Wofford

was Gordie Haug the head of recruiting back in 2016? He is listed with that title now and I can't imagine he was responsible for identifying all that NFL talent
While I don’t think there is much talent on this years roster, we haven’t been lacking. Look at the transfers - most of them transferred to high level P5 teams and are starting or backing up. Coldon at OU, Hearn at UCLA, Neyor at Texas (before his injury), X at ASU, Byrd at USC. All these guys are on the 2-deep.

There is no reason we aren’t competitive in the MW title race with talent like that, not to mention a sub 500 record in a weak MW Mountain. In my eyes, it’s schemes and coaching, plain and simple. At the end of the day, Bohl is going to go down as one of the most underachieving coaches in UW history.
Keyon Blankenbaker - Nickelback - Texas Tech - 2nd string

Levi Williams - Quarterback - Utah State - 2nd string

Sean Chambers - Quarterback - Montana State - 2nd string

Isaiah Neyor - Wide receiver - Texas - WR2 prior to injury

CJ Coldon - Cornerback - Oklahoma - 2nd string

Azizi Hearn - Cornerback - UCLA - Starting Nickel

Cam Murray - Safety - Northern Colorado - ?

Victor Jones - Defensive tackle/ end - Akron - 2nd string

Rome Weber - Safety - Western Kentucky - Starter

Xazavian Valladay - Running back - Arizona State - Starter

Jaylen Pate - Defensive end - Northwestern - 2nd string

Solomon Byrd - Defensive end - USC - 2nd string

Malik Williams - Offensive lineman - Contra Costa College - ?

That’s just the transfers. Swen is talented enough to start about anywhere. I really don’t think Cobbs isn’t a serviceable WR1. Easton Gibbs is solid D1 talent. The defensive secondary seems talented. The lack of a QB (Peasley didn’t look terrible in a backup role at USU??) and coaching has doomed this team. I ran some numbers a while back and year after year (minus 2016), the passing game has gotten worse and less creative.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

307bball wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:12 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:57 pm

For starters:

Morgan Scalley
Jim Leonhard
Scottie Hazelton
Derek Mason
Andy Ludwig
Pete Kaligis
Eric Morris

Etc., Etc., Etc...

It's a cultural divide. In the same way that I don't appreciate LA or Miami... Other people don't gravitate towards the solitude and more nature based recreation that Wyoming excels in. My own anecdotal experience of having grown up in Wyoming and lived a large part of my adult life out of state suggests that my preference for the specific mix of amenities that Wyoming offers pots me into a decided minority. Doesn't make anybody a racist to notice that. People who are sensitive to social justice issues or abortion rights will also definitely think twice before moving to Wyoming.
I’m not sure I’m following logic of
choosing to live in a state with dense population, and less to offer, and hating people because the color of their skin, or race.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:02 pm I’m not sure I’m following logic of
choosing to live in a state with dense population, and less to offer, and hating people because the color of their skin, or race.
The skin color piece is a red herring

If you prefer a certain lifestyle, of any kind, certain geographic locations will offer varying degrees of said lifestyle. The NBA version of this would be Miami compared to salt lake City. I would say there are big cultural differences between those two places. They is also true if you compare Wyoming to California. The are predictable social and cultural values that differ between those who prefer Wyoming compared to those who prefer California. If you believe that the upcoming generation leans a certain direction on any particular cultural preference.... Then it is not the biggest logical leap to then wonder how well your favorite college football program compares to that preference. That's all.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

307bball wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:49 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:02 pm I’m not sure I’m following logic of

If you prefer a certain lifestyle, of any kind, certain geographic locations will offer varying degrees of said lifestyle. The NBA version of this would be Miami compared to salt lake City. I would say there are big cultural differences between those two places. They is also true if you compare Wyoming to California. The are predictable social and cultural values that differ between those who prefer Wyoming compared to those who prefer California. If you believe that the upcoming generation leans a certain direction on any particular cultural preference.... Then it is not the biggest logical leap to then wonder how well your favorite college football program compares to that preference. That's all.
That's basically always been true though (at least in modern college athletics). Nothing new about that or our position relative to it. That is quite a bit different than what Home on the Range is saying.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

HomeOnTheRange wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:49 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:47 pm

For starters:

Morgan Scalley
Jim Leonhard
Scottie Hazelton
Derek Mason
Andy Ludwig
Pete Kaligis
Eric Morris

Etc., Etc., Etc...

Wut
again, people here won't like it. But it is true. The university does not have the ability to attract or retain the best people in the country because a lot of people view WY as a backwards state (and it is in many regards). Simple facts, not fake news. A recruit has a chance to go to school in CO or CA, they ain't coming to WY

time to get with the times
Basically our entire Men's BB roster proves this as a lie. As we speak Linder and staff are preparing to host a recruit from Southern California with offers from the likes of Gonzaga, LSU, Texas Tech, Houston, Georgia, etc. Will we win that recruiting battle? Unlikely, but obviously we are not being ruled out due to a preference of blue vs red state (the other choices as well).

If you want to worry about Wyoming's long term ability to compete worry about NIL, not political persuasion. UT, TAMU, Houston, etc. will all be just fine despite being located in a red state. In fact, there isn't much evidence at all that CA or CO's political policies help them much in intercollegiate athletics. Schools in the Big 12, SEC, and places like Utah have shown that to not be the case.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

NowherePoke wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:57 am Basically our entire Men's BB roster proves this as a lie. As we speak Linder and staff are preparing to host a recruit from Southern California with offers from the likes of Gonzaga, LSU, Texas Tech, Houston, Georgia, etc. Will we win that recruiting battle? Unlikely, but obviously we are not being ruled out due to a preference of blue vs red state (the other choices as well).

If you want to worry about Wyoming's long term ability to compete worry about NIL, not political persuasion. UT, TAMU, Houston, etc. will all be just fine despite being located in a red state. In fact, there isn't much evidence at all that CA or CO's political policies help them much in intercollegiate athletics. Schools in the Big 12, SEC, and places like Utah have shown that to not be the case.
This "cultural fit" discussion is only an issue at the margins...meaning for the Cowboy Football program, with really not a whole lot else to recommend it, it makes some sort of impact. For the Baskeball program....that has some juice, the impact is negligible or non-existent. This is why a Gonzaga or a BYU can create something unique that overcomes the things that might negatively impact desirability.

I'm not a demographic or social movement expert...I just am observing and listening. I have personal connections with people at UW who are challenged by this very topic every day, as they try to recruit the best and the brightest to enroll...according to them it is an uphill task and I have no reason to think they are lying to me. The University of Wyoming is decidedly not a selective college....Why do you think that is? There is a certain charm to Wyoming that is undeniable to those of us that were fortunate enough to be raised here. For those who visit, it can be enjoyable as a change of pace, but it is not diverse from an economic, social, or cultural standpoint. If you value that...you may not choose to come here. That is both Wyoming's greatest asset and downfall.

Anyways...the idea that this rests on calling people racists needs to die on the vine.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

NowherePoke wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:57 am

For starters:

Morgan Scalley
Jim Leonhard
Scottie Hazelton
Derek Mason
Andy Ludwig
Pete Kaligis
Eric Morris

Etc., Etc., Etc...

Wut
again, people here won't like it. But it is true. The university does not have the ability to attract or retain the best people in the country because a lot of people view WY as a backwards state (and it is in many regards). Simple facts, not fake news. A recruit has a chance to go to school in CO or CA, they ain't coming to WY

Basically our entire Men's BB roster proves this as a lie. As we speak Linder and staff are preparing to host a recruit from Southern California with offers from the likes of Gonzaga, LSU, Texas Tech, Houston, Georgia, etc. Will we win that recruiting battle? Unlikely, but obviously we are not being ruled out due to a preference of blue vs red state (the other choices as well).

I don't know if it's unlikely that we'll win this recruiting battle. We were on him before he blew up this summer. He has three visits scheduled and the first one is in Laramie. I think we have a great chance with McFarland. Our staff landed the number one recruiting class in the conference after three weeks on the job, under complete covid lockdown. They followed that up with what is likely to be a top 2 recruiting class this season. They're recruiting from the position of complete rebuild: Wyoming setting a program record for most conference losses in school history when they took over. I like our chances with McFarland, although you're right, it still probably isn't "likely".
Last edited by Old-Bull on Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

For starters:

Morgan Scalley
Jim Leonhard
Scottie Hazelton
Derek Mason
Andy Ludwig
Pete Kaligis
Eric Morris

Etc., Etc., Etc...

This post reads like a trolling attempt from a sock puppet. It's hard to believe you're a Wyoming fan, or have lived in the state with remarks like that.

Branch and Linder have plenty of athletes of color and they're killing it on the recruiting trail. SDSU we're recruiting Ethan Anderson and Max Agbonkpolo this year, both of them are in Laramie and both of them are "people of color".
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

For starters:

Morgan Scalley
Jim Leonhard
Scottie Hazelton
Derek Mason
Andy Ludwig
Pete Kaligis
Eric Morris

Etc., Etc., Etc...

Wut

Except Mark Branch who just landed the 9th ranked recruiting class in the country, including World Champion Jore Volk(not just best in the country, but best in the world). Or Jeff Linder, who's had a couple of top 2 MWC recruiting classes in two years on the job.

Ethan Anderson, Max Agbonkpolo, and Jake Kyman left California for Wyoming, we're being recruited by SDSU and other great basketball programs in liberal states, and yet they're lacing it up in Laramie. Two of those guys are "people of color".

This post is worse than your first attempt at trolling and after reading your posting history, it doesn't seem likely at all that you're an actual Wyoming fan.

Good try though.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

NowherePoke wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:50 am
307bball wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:49 pm

That's basically always been true though (at least in modern college athletics). Nothing new about that or our position relative to it. That is quite a bit different than what Home on the Range is saying.
Yep, exactly!
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

307bball wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:48 am
NowherePoke wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:57 am Basically our entire Men's BB roster proves this as a lie. As we speak Linder and staff are preparing to host a recruit from Southern California with offers from the likes of Gonzaga, LSU, Texas Tech, Houston, Georgia, etc. Will we win that recruiting battle? Unlikely, but obviously we are not being ruled out due to a preference of blue vs red state (the other choices as well).

This "cultural fit" discussion is only an issue at the margins...meaning for the Cowboy Football program, with really not a whole lot else to recommend it, it makes some sort of impact. For the Baskeball program....that has some juice, the impact is negligible or non-existent. This is why a Gonzaga or a BYU can create something unique that overcomes the things that might negatively impact desirability.

I'm not a demographic or social movement expert...I just am observing and listening. I have personal connections with people at UW who are challenged by this very topic every day, as they try to recruit the best and the brightest to enroll...according to them it is an uphill task and I have no reason to think they are lying to me. The University of Wyoming is decidedly not a selective college....Why do you think that is? There is a certain charm to Wyoming that is undeniable to those of us that were fortunate enough to be raised here. For those who visit, it can be enjoyable as a change of pace, but it is not diverse from an economic, social, or cultural standpoint. If you value that...you may not choose to come here. That is both Wyoming's greatest asset and downfall.

Anyways...the idea that this rests on calling people racists needs to die on the vine.
How is any of that new?

Home on the Range basically said recruits would not choose UW due to voting patterns/political policies. There is zero evidence that those are a driver of intercollegiate athletics success in any way (SEC>>PAC12, right?).

The small population base is of course significant hurdle to overcome, but it isn't new and we wouldn't suddenly be reeling in 5-star recruits if we became a political twin to Vermont.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy

NowherePoke wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:57 am

For starters:

Morgan Scalley
Jim Leonhard
Scottie Hazelton
Derek Mason
Andy Ludwig
Pete Kaligis
Eric Morris

Etc., Etc., Etc...

Wut

This Exactly. There is no evidence being a blue or red state influences recruiting decisions
I'm good for 3!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

For starters:

Morgan Scalley
Jim Leonhard
Scottie Hazelton
Derek Mason
Andy Ludwig
Pete Kaligis
Eric Morris

Etc., Etc., Etc...

WTF? This isn't bWHYu, the most racist, arrogant, entitled, poop fanbase in the world.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...