Is the BYU game the worst scheduling decision in UW history?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

Your post was funny as poop!

How did this discussion go from scheduling BYU and the merits of doing so to the B14?
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

It is a terrible decision. I can't think of a single benefit for us playing those milk sippers.

For basketball it would help our net rating but for football were just getting in bed with a cheating x that doesn't put out.

No thank you.

Fu(k Byu.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

The answer is yes, this is the worst scheduling decision ever, made somehow even worse by the fact that we beat Air Force. There is nothing positive in playing BYU again. Nobody gets a fair shake in that stadium and especially not Wyoming, you are deluding yourselves in thinking we have any shot in this game. We could play our best game possible and still lose.

BYU has zero intention of honoring the return trip to Laramie, there is a 100% chance it never happens.

I for one will not watch this game, not contribute one iota of attention in any fashion that could be interpreted by the higher powers of approving of it or showing any interest. I will check a score Sunday morning and be done with it. As far as I am concerned the players should come out and take a knee every snap, do not give BYU a chance to ruin anyones career with any cheap shots. If that means losing 200-0 I think it would be a heck of a protest since our administration is too chicken poop.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Wyokie wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:55 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:42 pm I agree with the earlier poster and think you are a BYU plant.
Wouldn't shock me.
My guess. Grew up in WYO and cheered for byu. We all know the type. Maybe the worst form of byu fans.

He/She/They will be gone soon.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

I'm trying to make sense of this thread. Help me understand what I'm missing.

I'm aware of what went down when BYU left the conference, is this just understandable bitterness from that?

The one thing I am sympathetic to is the "fair shake" argument. Playing in Provo today isn't like it was in the '80s but my impression of their home advantage is that it's suspiciously impressive.

I'm not compelled by the cheap shot argument...if one thing has gotten better in the last 20 years it is that the incidence of legitimate "cheap" shots have been greatly diminished. Of course...any knucklehead can try to pull something stupid at any point, but in this day and age, it is not something that is coached or encouraged, even at BYU. Not every football injury is result of a cheap shot, not even close.

On the topic of the contractual obligations, how is BYU buying out the return trip any different that all the rest of the big time programs that do this to us? If buying out the return trip is not good, why even go down the road of scheduling any of those teams?

I can't shake the feeling that this is partly because the outcome is looking like a wipeout for the pokes at the hands of a historically hated program.

Finally...how many of you lurk on other programs fan boards and even masquerade as "fans"? If you do ... what is the motivation? Asking this due to the accusations that crop up from time to time (some directed at me...though it's been a while) that posters are actually not Wyoming fans.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

307bball wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:10 am I'm trying to make sense of this thread. Help me understand what I'm missing.

I'm aware of what went down when BYU left the conference, is this just understandable bitterness from that?

The one thing I am sympathetic to is the "fair shake" argument. Playing in Provo today isn't like it was in the '80s but my impression of their home advantage is that it's suspiciously impressive.

I'm not compelled by the cheap shot argument...if one thing has gotten better in the last 20 years it is that the incidence of legitimate "cheap" shots have been greatly diminished. Of course...any knucklehead can try to pull something stupid at any point, but in this day and age, it is not something that is coached or encouraged, even at BYU. Not every football injury is result of a cheap shot, not even close.

On the topic of the contractual obligations, how is BYU buying out the return trip any different that all the rest of the big time programs that do this to us? If buying out the return trip is not good, why even go down the road of scheduling any of those teams?

I can't shake the feeling that this is partly because the outcome is looking like a wipeout for the pokes at the hands of a historically hated program.

Finally...how many of you lurk on other programs fan boards and even masquerade as "fans"? If you do ... what is the motivation? Asking this due to the accusations that crop up from time to time (some directed at me...though it's been a while) that posters are actually not Wyoming fans.
Yeah, it seems pretty whiney and petty to me too.

Whether it was a good decision or not, it's an ESPN2 game against a Top-20 opponent and the players competing in the game had absolutely nothing to do with the scheduling of it. I'll be supporting them.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 239 times

307bball wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:10 am I'm trying to make sense of this thread. Help me understand what I'm missing.

Look at BYU’s 2024 schedule and tell me what games they are likely to buy out to make room for their Big twelve slate of games.

BYU has looked down their noses at us since forever. Screw them
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:43 am

Look at BYU’s 2024 schedule and tell me what games they are likely to buy out to make room for their Big twelve slate of games.

So....hypothetically, if BYU makes the return trip to Laramie, do any of you feel any different?

And as far as "screw them" .... that ship has sailed. The moves they have made appear to have placed them on the "inside" of the college football power structure. Not playing them or sheduling them doesn't move the needle for them. If you really want to "screw" them....let's beat them on the gridiron. I acknowledge that may be difficult this year.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

“If hypothetically they make a return trip…”

They aren’t my guy.

“Just bitter feelings from the past..”

Are you crazy bro? This is like an abused ex spouse returning to the household under the guise that “things have changed” and “it’s all in the past” and actually believing the spouse is any different than the person you married 30 years ago when they just got out of jail for a 4th arrest last week.

Scheduling them, giving legitimacy to their status, after all the history between our schools and what we KNOW about them and their dealings. Just shameful from our AD. IDGAF about games on espn against some fraud top 20 team. I’d rather go on the road and play Utah Valley. I would feel the same if we were 21 point favorites.

It’s simple, don’t associate with BYU.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:32 am

Yeah, it seems pretty whiney and petty to me too.

Whether it was a good decision or not, it's an ESPN2 game against a Top-20 opponent and the players competing in the game had absolutely nothing to do with the scheduling of it. I'll be supporting them.
Then schedule a higher profile P5 team 1 and done. Take the money and call it good.

There is no advantage to scheduling those dirty, cheap shot, #$@@$^*.

I was so happy when they left and thought we'd never have to put up with them again. Thanks Burman.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

307bball wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:51 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:43 am

So....hypothetically, if BYU makes the return trip to Laramie, do any of you feel any different?

And as far as "screw them" .... that ship has sailed. The moves they have made appear to have placed them on the "inside" of the college football power structure. Not playing them or sheduling them doesn't move the needle for them. If you really want to "screw" them....let's beat them on the gridiron. I acknowledge that may be difficult this year.
Yes, it would make me feel better if the first game of the series were in Laramie. I would prefer not to play them at all, ever. They engender such terrible hatred from, like, everyone they play, it seems. I don't want any part of them. It makes me feel icky.

Anyway, I can almost guarantee they won't come to Laramie. Feel free to book mark this and shove it down my throat if they do happen to make the return trip. I put the odds at 5% they play here in 2024.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:17 am
Yes, it would make me feel better if the first game of the series were in Laramie. I would prefer not to play them at all, ever. They engender such terrible hatred from, like, everyone they play, it seems. I don't want any part of them. It makes me feel icky.

Anyway, I can almost guarantee they won't come to Laramie. Feel free to book mark this and shove it down my throat if they do happen to make the return trip. I put the odds at 5% they play here in 2024.
No throat shoving from me...if they end up playing us in Laramie then I will have been wrong as well.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

calpoke25 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:03 am “If hypothetically they make a return trip…”

They aren’t my guy.

Are you crazy bro? This is like an abused ex spouse returning to the household under the guise that “things have changed” and “it’s all in the past” and actually believing the spouse is any different than the person you married 30 years ago when they just got out of jail for a 4th arrest last week.

Scheduling them, giving legitimacy to their status, after all the history between our schools and what we KNOW about them and their dealings. Just shameful from our AD. IDGAF about games on espn against some fraud top 20 team. I’d rather go on the road and play Utah Valley. I would feel the same if we were 21 point favorites.

I didn't say "just bitter feelings from the past.." I said understandable bitter feelings from the past as it relates to what went down around the time they left the MWC. That being said...I'm starting to sense some "BYU derangement syndrome" going on here. I hate losing to BYU as much as anybody but then I move on.

You are dead wrong that scheduling them gives them legitimacy. They have legitimacy and they don't need to schedule us to get more.

This is also nothing like domestic abuse...dumb analogy.

As much as I appreciated Lander's post with the video of BYU players committing cheap shots, that is a cut you could create for every program (including Wyoming). The only difference is the non-BYU programs don't have the insufferable moralizing overtones.

Anyways..to answer the question that started all of this. Yes...this is the worst scheduling decision in UW history.....because an insecure portion of the fan base doesn't have the stones to even watch their favorite team put it on the line against the scourge from Provo. People can all make the personal decision to watch or not but don't act like it's some moral stand that makes any difference to BYU, Burman, or anybody else involved.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:21 am
And that is just the popular "cuts". Does nobody remember those cheap mufu's head hunting Josh Allen when he was in a full slide, helmet to helmet, no call???????

f-word bWHYu, in the ass with a red hot poker!!!!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:17 am They engender such terrible hatred from, like, everyone they play, it seems. I don't want any part of them. It makes me feel icky.
Hey...love the honesty here. I respect this.

BTW...love that supercut of BYU being unsportsmanlike with the song over it....there is unsportsmanlike action from everywhere but it's extra jarring when put alongside the moralizing they tend to do.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:18 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:21 am
And that is just the popular "cuts". Does nobody remember those cheap mufu's head hunting Josh Allen when he was in a full slide, helmet to helmet, no call???????

[#]f##k bWHYu, in the A$$ with a red hot poker!!!!
Oh yes...I also remember about three other teams doing that to JA over his career...CSU in Laramie in the snow? CSU dude dropped a knee into his chin throat.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

307bball wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:16 pm
calpoke25 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:03 am “If hypothetically they make a return trip…”

They aren’t my guy.

I didn't say "just bitter feelings from the past.." I said understandable bitter feelings from the past as it relates to what went down around the time they left the MWC. That being said...I'm starting to sense some "BYU derangement syndrome" going on here. I hate losing to BYU as much as anybody but then I move on.

You are dead wrong that scheduling them gives them legitimacy. They have legitimacy and they don't need to schedule us to get more.

This is also nothing like domestic abuse...dumb analogy.

As much as I appreciated Lander's post with the video of BYU players committing cheap shots, that is a cut you could create for every program (including Wyoming). The only difference is the non-BYU programs don't have the insufferable moralizing overtones.

Anyways..to answer the question that started all of this. Yes...this is the worst scheduling decision in UW history.....because an insecure portion of the fan base doesn't have the stones to even watch their favorite team put it on the line against the scourge from Provo. People can all make the personal decision to watch or not but don't act like it's some moral stand that makes any difference to BYU, Burman, or anybody else involved.
Did you forget the "project": BYU's attempt to destroy the conference that bent over backwards for half a century to accommodate all the special rules that apply to those cultists?

BYU can eat a shi+ sandwhich.

We should never play them again in any sport.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Old-Bull wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:25 pm
Did you forget the "project": BYU's attempt to destroy the conference that bent over backwards for half a century to accommodate all the special rules that apply to those cultists?

No I did not forget that, I even referenced it. Those are all legit reasons to hate BYU...that is not the point of the thread though. I assume you hate CSU as well?

The question was asked: "Is the BYU game the worst scheduling decision in UW history?"... I'm beginning to think it is, but not for the reasons put forth by those opposed to scheduling them.

From what I can tell only LanderPoke is honest enough to come out and acknowledge that it's about his hatred for them and how he feels playing them...the rest of it is all some sort of contrived attempt to repay them for all the slights over the years. I have news for you all.... They. Don't. Care. They have won....they got into the big boy college athletic club and have left the MWC behind. If you have a desire to bring pain to BYU athletics and BYU fans....play them, and beat them. Anything else you are deluding yourself.

P.S. BYU can eat a shi+ sandwhich.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

307bball wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:37 pm
Old-Bull wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:25 pm

No I did not forget that, I even referenced it. Those are all legit reasons to hate BYU...that is not the point of the thread though. I assume you hate CSU as well?

The question was asked: "Is the BYU game the worst scheduling decision in UW history?"... I'm beginning to think it is, but not for the reasons put forth by those opposed to scheduling them.

From what I can tell only LanderPoke is honest enough to come out and acknowledge that it's about his hatred for them and how he feels playing them...the rest of it is all some sort of contrived attempt to repay them for all the slights over the years. I have news for you all.... They. Don't. Care. They have won....they got into the big boy college athletic club and have left the MWC behind. If you have a desire to bring pain to BYU athletics and BYU fans....play them, and beat them. Anything else you are deluding yourself.

P.S. BYU can eat a shi+ sandwhich.
I'm starting to understand why people think you're a BYU puppet as well.

Byu didn't win anything. They aren't a part of the big boy club. There isn't a P5 anymore. There's a P2 and BYU still isn't a part of that.

Regardless, let them go play all the Big 12 leftovers they want. There's not one single benefit to playing those guys for us. Not one.