Appalachian Fan Advice

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
GoApps
Buckaroo

Hello Wyonation!
A bunch of us App fans are already looking ahead to 2023 and have circled Wyoming on our calendars. From afar, we seem like similar fan bases in many respects. Blue collar people who love their football. Personally, I also hold a soft spot for y’all because you gave my football team Josh Allen (my dad’s side of the family is from Orchard Park, NY). Go Bills!

Things I am hopeful to find out:

Lodging; rent a hotel or find a house/cabin?
Dining; any must have breakfast, lunch, dinner, beers?
Activities; I’m an avid fly fisher so bonus points on advice there but anything else that is a must do?
Anything else us east coasters need to know?

Go Pokes (except on September 23, 2023)
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

Welcome! I hope you find Laramie very welcoming when you and your crew come out.

Lodging: The most convenient place game-wise would be the Hilton Garden Inn, which is 2 blocks from the stadium. If there's a whole pile of you I would definitely recommend checking out VRBO or the like. It will end up being much more cost effective, and you may be able to get closer to downtown.

Dining: Laramie has a pretty killer food scene. Altitude and The Library are personal favorites. If you're into Indian food check out Buffalo Indian Restaurant on 3rd street. Some of the best Indian food I've ever had! Altitude and The Library have their own breweries with some pretty good beers. Bond's Brewing is also one to check out. If you're in Laramie you absolutely need to check out The Buckhorn Bar, too.

Activities: LOTS of fishing to be had in late September. McPeachy would probably be able to give you the lowdown on some honey holes.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

I'm assuming you are flying into Denver and driving up?
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 50 times

WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:32 am Welcome! I hope you find Laramie very welcoming when you and your crew come out.

Lodging: The most convenient place game-wise would be the Hilton Garden Inn, which is 2 blocks from the stadium. If there's a whole pile of you I would definitely recommend checking out VRBO or the like. It will end up being much more cost effective, and you may be able to get closer to downtown.

Dining: Laramie has a pretty killer food scene. Altitude and The Library are personal favorites. If you're into Indian food check out Buffalo Indian Restaurant on 3rd street. Some of the best Indian food I've ever had! Altitude and The Library have their own breweries with some pretty good beers. Bond's Brewing is also one to check out. If you're in Laramie you absolutely need to check out The Buckhorn Bar, too.

Activities: LOTS of fishing to be had in late September. McPeachy would probably be able to give you the lowdown on some honey holes.
Here's some of my Laramie favorites: https://www.visitlaramie.org/blog/post/ ... n-laramie/
They're all excellent, but even as an big meat-eater I'll tell you Sweet Mellissa's is awesome. They also make the best cocktails in town.

Fishing in late September can change a bunch based on the weather. DM me and I can get you honed in on a few spots. There seems like quite a few ties between these schools. I may have a couple of App St fly fisherman staying at my place that week, and my neighbor left Boone to teach at UW.

I'm looking forward to that game. Hope you enjoy Laramie!
GoApps
Buckaroo

Thank you wyo1016, djm19, flyfishwyo for already responding! Writing these recs down and sharing them with my group. Looking forward to getting up there. And yes flying to Denver (a lot of App grads graduate to bigger mountains after college) linking up with friends and making the easy drive up
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

Glad to hear some App State fans will be heading out west. Went to Boone back in 2014 for the Pokes-App State game and felt instantly at home in Boone. Lots of similarities between the schools/towns and I keep tabs on App State after visiting.

Altitude, Library, and Bond's all have beers worth checking out. Not sure if you're a Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives fan but Guy Fieri stopped in Laramie fairly recently and the episodes show off some of the cool spots downtown.