If true, it's completely laughable

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Arizona State and Utah have both formally applied to the Big 12 as of this afternoon. First concrete thing we've seen/heard from Utah, and apparently someone finally strongarmed ASU's president into giving up on the PAC.

Big 12 officially meets tonight to discuss their applications.

As it stands, Arizona plans on an official announcement tomorrow (they already applied and were approved).

I think OU and Washington forced everyone's hands this morning.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:12 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:48 pm
They'll fit right in with the sheep when they eventually land in the MW
Right, except CSU is able to outspend literally everyone in the MWC, and Ft. Collins is six times larger than Pullman and not nearly as financially dependent on CSU as Laramie is on UW or Pullman is on WSU. Like....nowhere even close.

Y'all's lack of empathy for other schools, fans, towns, businesses, etc. getting the rug pulled out from them through no fault of their own is bizarre.
The sheep aren't able to outspend anyone, but they do anyways. I'm not dancing on anyone's grave here. I feel for those fanbases. However, humility goes a long ways in getting sympathy.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

Oregon's Board of Trustees has officially voted to accept the Big 10's invitation, as of about 15 minutes ago.

Dominos falling all around now. The PAC is dead.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:40 pmHowever, humility goes a long ways in getting sympathy.
And as mentioned, I've never seen anything but humility from WSU fans and Pullman residents. Every fanbase has its douches, but Coug fans are among the most down to earth I've ever seen.

But also...it's weird to me that all I ever hear on this board is about how poop everyone here thinks everyone else's fans are. Maybe it's because I tend to run in more diverse/less biased circles, or maybe because I have more real-world experience with other fanbases, but damn....

Like my momma always used to say..."if literally everyone around you is an a**hole, maybe you're actually the a**hole".

The only fanbases I've consistently seen be poop are CSU, BYU, and Oregon. Maybe Michigan.

Regardless...point is that your average Pullman citizen hasn't done anything to anyone, lol. And they're gonna face very real fallout from all this.

I have slightly less sympathy for OSU as an institution because they very vocally and ardently backed Larry Scott, who was the real reason for the PAC's downfall. But again, your average Corvallis citizen or OSU fan isn't to blame for that.
Last edited by DamThatRiver22 on Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

Every fanbase has good people and douches......except for BYU, they're all terrible. Every. Last. One
W-Y, Until I Die!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

Pac-12 so thin now, it's possible CSU could get an invite. What's sad is I think we'd generally want to stay in same conference as the Sheep but the fart sniffers think so high of themselves, they'd probably want out from us.
W-Y, Until I Die!
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

laxwyo wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:12 pm except for BYU, they're all terrible. Every. Last. One
:rofl:

I honestly can't say I disagree there.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

laxwyo wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:15 pm Pac-12 so thin now, it's possible CSU could get an invite. What's sad is I think we'd generally want to stay in same conference as the Sheep but the fart sniffers think so high of themselves, they'd probably want out from us.
I think we're past that. By all indications, the PAC is only gonna have 4 teams by Monday/Tuesday, and one of those (Stanford) is in prime position to go independent (at least for now).

I don't think Cal (who gives zero poop about athletics), Wazzu (who is 100 mil in debt and runs at a 10 mil yearly deficit), and Oregon State are gonna be able to rebuild the PAC. Especially with no media deal available, no money to cover MWC exit fees, etc.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:16 pm
laxwyo wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:12 pm except for BYU, they're all terrible. Every. Last. One
:rofl:

I honestly can't say I disagree there.
Same here. I LOATHE BYU!!!! :tickedoff:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

Big 10 officially announced both OU and Washington a few minutes ago. Schools have also issued their own official announcements within the last few minutes.

Still awaiting "official" word for the Four Corners/B12, likely to come this weekend.

What a wild ride the last couple of weeks have been.
Cowduck
Cowpoke

Ahem:

It's UO, not OU.

Thank you and carry on.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

For perspective, above were discussions about a theoretical crap conference and how bad that would be. osu and wsu have those same views about the mwc. I feel bad for them.

Also Deion is right. There better not be another complaint about nil or transfer, ever. University administrators are tearing up tradition and conferences for money. No reason to hold athletes to a higher standard than the bpeople running universities.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:53 pm Also Deion is right. There better not be another complaint about nil or transfer, ever. University administrators are tearing up tradition and conferences for money. No reason to hold athletes to a higher standard than the bpeople running universities.
Yea, I saw that tidbit and I wholeheartedly agree. But I was also always of the thought process that none of us have the right to complain about kids snd their families trying to make decisions that are in their own best interest and taking advantage of opportunities.

Is it disappointing sometimes, and does it bite us in the ass? Absolutely, and I will complain about the general state of the sport and the consequences that kind of stuff brings. And I don't always agree with the decisions being made by a particular athlete or whatever. But I will never, ever direct ire to a kid for simply trying to do what they think is best for them, their family, or their career.

I've seen that discussion blow up on here a few times and it's amazing to me some of the vitriol some members here have towards kids trying to make literal life-defining decisions.
Cowduck wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:56 pm Ahem:

It's UO, not OU.

Thank you and carry on.
Yea, I f*** that up all the time. Lmao. Sorry.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:53 pm For perspective, above were discussions about a theoretical crap conference and how bad that would be. osu and wsu have those same views about the mwc. I feel bad for them.

Also Deion is right. There better not be another complaint about nil or transfer, ever. University administrators are tearing up tradition and conferences for money. No reason to hold athletes to a higher standard than the bpeople running universities.
He's right to direct that comment at the networks and power brokers but, in general, most fans are pretty consistent in not liking either NIL or realignment
307bball
WyoNation Addict

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:09 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:53 pm Also Deion is right. There better not be another complaint about nil or transfer, ever. University administrators are tearing up tradition and conferences for money. No reason to hold athletes to a higher standard than the bpeople running universities.
Yea, I saw that tidbit and I wholeheartedly agree. But I was also always of the thought process that none of us have the right to complain about kids snd their families trying to make decisions that are in their own best interest and taking advantage of opportunities.

Is it disappointing sometimes, and does it bite us in the ass? Absolutely, and I will complain about the general state of the sport and the consequences that kind of stuff brings. And I don't always agree with the decisions being made by a particular athlete or whatever. But I will never, ever direct ire to a kid for simply trying to do what they think is best for them, their family, or their career.

I've seen that discussion blow up on here a few times and it's amazing to me some of the vitriol some members here have towards kids trying to make literal life-defining decisions.
A-men!
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

BXII approved ASU and Utah this evening, and the Utah BoR just now unanimously approved the move.

It's official; the Pac 12 is now the Pac-4 after this season. WSU, OSU, Stanford, and Cal.

All four schools have issued official "We're aware and are exploring possibilities" statements, while OSU's AD told a reporter "I'm furious. The best interest of the student athlete hasn't been served."

Be mighty interesting to see what happens now; we're not done yet.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 50 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:43 pm
DamThatRiver22 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:03 pm

Yea, I almost posted this (it's a done deal according to the more reputable sources like McMurphy and Thamel) but all things considered, figured I might wait to post anything else until ink was actually dry on any deals and the conference/schools actually announce. It's been that wild.

I actually really, really feel for OSU and WSU though.

WSU athletics is $100MM in debt and currently operating at a $10MM yearly deficit. As excited as I am at the potential prospect of having them as conference mates, it's going to be completely devastating to their program.

Also, keep in mind Pullman is basically the same size as Laramie and similarly relatively isolated. Lots of businesses and people's livelihoods in that town are going to take the brunt of this.
Yeah, that sucks for WSU. Their fans are pretty arrogant and when they visited us their fans, at least the ones I was around, were royal douche bags. They should have not gone 100m in debt
Yeah, but it'll be great to have Dickert lose in Laramie. Screw that guy.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

What am ordeal,!.... And it's not over. What's next? Do 9 MW schools vote to disband?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:10 am What am ordeal,!.... And it's not over. What's next? Do 9 MW schools vote to disband?
Why would they do that?

Any contract the PAC could get now would probably be on par with the MW
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:38 am
307bball wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:10 am What am ordeal,!.... And it's not over. What's next? Do 9 MW schools vote to disband?
Why would they do that?

I read that the addition of pac schools could jump our TV deal from 4 million to 10 per school. All pure speculation but is guess that value wouldn't change with 9 schools which would result in more per school. St Mary's and Gonzaga could also be in play. Who knows?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:59 am
laxwyo wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:38 am

Why would they do that?

I read that the addition of pac schools could jump our TV deal from 4 million to 10 per school. All pure speculation but is guess that value wouldn't change with 9 schools which would result in more per school. St Mary's and Gonzaga could also be in play. Who knows?
I guess I thought that if there were three obvious dead weight schools then dissolving and reforming would make sense but if the bottom half is roughly equivalent it won't happen.