Final Minute

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Game is out of reach, we move the ball pretty good and score. Pass Interference is incorrectly called, IMO, and the touchdown gets negated.

What happens after this absolutely pisses me off. Why would you let time expire and not try to score again? What does that say about your approach and attitude towards the game of football? Letting the game end on a let down and not even attempt to end it on a positive note boggles my mind.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:43 am Game is out of reach, we move the ball pretty good and score. Pass Interference is incorrectly called, IMO, and the touchdown gets negated.

What happens after this absolutely pisses me off. Why would you let time expire and not try to score again? What does that say about your approach and attitude towards the game of football? Letting the game end on a let down and not even attempt to end it on a positive note boggles my mind.
A key injury or any injury in that situation and they get chastised for being stupid.

I don't mind letting time expire
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:46 am
BackHarlowRoad wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:43 am Game is out of reach, we move the ball pretty good and score. Pass Interference is incorrectly called, IMO, and the touchdown gets negated.

A key injury or any injury in that situation and they get chastised for being stupid.

K. Then why not just start kneeling with 2 minutes left if that's the reasoning?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:49 am

K. Then why not just start kneeling with 2 minutes left if that's the reasoning?
Meh, I see a difference. Difference in opinion, I guess.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Does it not show that the game of football is about wins and that the final score is meaningless? I agree with the decision.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:00 am

Does it not show that the game of football is about wins and that the final score is meaningless? I agree with the decision.
Yep... In that specific situation I'm fine either way. The outcome was going to be a loss either way. If you want to go hard and try to lose by less to prove something to your players that is fine.... And to acknowledge that you've shot your shot and let the time expire is just fine as well.

You see it in basketball when there is 15 seconds left on the clock in a 14 point game... The team behind will just possess the ball and not attempt offensive action....
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:49 am

I agree with this reasoning, it's all garbage time anyway. Either play to score or play to save injuries.

My complaint on it is through the first two games they didn't give Svoboda any passing reps at all. When we got the ball with 5 minutes left the game was already over. So it was basically like the end of last game, just another case to give Svoboda some additional meaningful reps running a 5 minute offense. We had only scored one touchdwn the entire game on the first drive. This was a chance to just work on a 5-minute situational case that might come up again in a later game.

I was glad the coaches decided to actually give some meaningful reps and try the 5 minute offense, until after the bad penalty and then the coaches just gave up and decided it wasn't worth it anymore. To me it was still worth another play or two simply to give Svoboda more reps and see if we could actually manufacture a scoring drive that we hadn't been able to do since the beginning of the game.

We wasted the entire fourth quarter of last game with no touchdown drives and then we did it again in the closing minute of this game. Svodoba has only gotten to play five quarters of football this year, with one touchdown drive, and it seems to me that was another opportunity to just work on actually putting the ball in the end zone that we then just gave up on. It is never the same trying to manufacture the same scenario in practice as having it available to work on in an actual game.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

I just don't think it's that big of deal. How many kneel downs have you seen at the end of the half?

So they didn't run 1 or 2 plays. Not seeing a basis for outrage

Seems like a silly critique especially after a game like that. I certainly wasn't left with the impression that there was a lack of effort to try to win.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 50 times

Another score would have been, at best, a moral victory. I'm not into moral victories. I think the message was that we had our chance and missed it. Now we go home and work on getting better. I like the call.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 239 times

I would have liked us to try to score, but whatever.
Vancopoke
Buckaroo
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Another scenario. Know the line was different but say you have Wyoming +20 and they kneel to run out the clock. Pissed?

World we live in now specific to sports.