BB transfer portal is open

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

WYO1016 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:42 am Speaking of transfers:
You mean to tell me that the best basketball coach ever, lost his top talent to the portal / NIL? :whistle:

Even after said coach hired Noah's older brother Nic as assistant coach?

How can this happen?!?! :roll:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

Unreal. So wouldn’t he have to sit out a year?
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:40 am
Nope. That rule went out the window last year.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

WYO1016 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:14 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:40 am

Nope. That rule went out the window last year.
Technically suspended while the case challenging the penalty makes its way through the courts. But yea, I doubt it comes back and every year is a new free agency.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Mashburn in the portal for the second time

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:58 pm Mashburn in the portal for the second time

New Mexico will have a few more. Their entries are NIL driven.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Make em pay their poop back and this will stop
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

Really great article on the state of the basketball program from Burman's point of view.
https://7220sports.com/wyomings-ad-weig ... l-program/
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:57 pm Really great article on the state of the basketball program from Burman's point of view.
In addressing Wyoming’s transfers:
“Some of those guys bolted for bigger paydays, most didn’t..”

Yet Linder wants to blame NIL.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:02 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:57 pm Really great article on the state of the basketball program from Burman's point of view.

Burman agreed, saying the school's NIL budget is now roughly $300,000 across all sports. In his estimation, that number needs to be around $750,000 to $800,000 to be competitive.

"We know how to raise money, but we can't do it," he said, pointing toward War Memorial Stadium and referring to the numerous construction projects that have taken place inside Wyoming's football stadium since he arrived in 2006. "But even when we talk to (fans) about it, they're just slow to embrace. It's time they embrace. We can't wait any longer."

Burman said the top schools in the Mountain West might be hovering around $1 million in NIL funds.
We may not like it, but NIL donations are a thing that must happen. While I agree that it's the wild west and needs to be reigned in, I also fully recognize that we MUST be competitive in this area NOW if we're to even hope to be relevant.

I setup a small monthly donation via 1WYO after reading this article. I feel like it would be pretty hippocritical to bitch about the problem if I'm not willing to be part of the solution.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:29 pm

Burman agreed, saying the school's NIL budget is now roughly $300,000 across all sports. In his estimation, that number needs to be around $750,000 to $800,000 to be competitive.

"We know how to raise money, but we can't do it," he said, pointing toward War Memorial Stadium and referring to the numerous construction projects that have taken place inside Wyoming's football stadium since he arrived in 2006. "But even when we talk to (fans) about it, they're just slow to embrace. It's time they embrace. We can't wait any longer."

Burman said the top schools in the Mountain West might be hovering around $1 million in NIL funds.
We may not like it, but NIL donations are a thing that must happen. While I agree that it's the wild west and needs to be reigned in, I also fully recognize that we MUST be competitive in this area NOW if we're to even hope to be relevant.

I setup a small monthly donation via 1WYO after reading this article. I feel like it would be pretty hippocritical to bitch about the problem if I'm not willing to be part of the solution.
I respect your decision with what to do with your money.

For me, I’ll continue to donate $0 to NIL. I’d rather Wyoming move to D2 than contribute funds for 18-22 year olds to buy nicer vehicles than I drive.

I’ll continue to donate to scholarships, facilities and real charitable causes.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:38 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:29 pm

I respect your decision with what to do with your money.

For me, I’ll continue to donate $0 to NIL. I’d rather Wyoming move to D2 than contribute funds for 18-22 year olds to buy nicer vehicles than I drive.

I’ll continue to donate to scholarships, facilities and real charitable causes.
I also respect your decision to not donate.

Everyone on this board (and every Wyoming fan) wants the same thing: championship teams in revenue sports. We may all take different paths that we think are best to make that happen, but we're all moving in the same direction.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

I would just like to say that I am also making myself eligible for the NBA draft.

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

bladerunnr wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:45 pm I would just like to say that I am also making myself eligible for the NBA draft.

I always like DuSell’s willingness to be a team player and his defense. But the NBA draft doesn’t come to mind when I think of DuSell.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

Transfer portal is affecting everyone....

https://athlonsports.com/college-basket ... fer-portal
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

So what really is donor fatigue? Well...

For what I would consider the "average + Wyoming fan"...on the low end of estimating costs

Football Tickets (2) $1800 (includes seat donation)
Basketball Tickets (2) $600
CJC Donation $1000
WYO Trips / Away Games / Post Season $2000+
CJC Auction / Golf / Events $1000+
Gameday Travel / Tailgate / In Game Purchases / Etc. $1,000+
Programs / Attire $300

So on an annual basis, said fans above would spend roughly $8,000.00, just on Men's hoops and Football. And you request even more $$$$ for NIL now, from the pocket of the average Wyoming fan? There needs to be a different and better way.

:twocents: :twocents: :twocents:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 146 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:56 am
McPeachy wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:32 am

Well, there goes the most talented player on the team I guess. I hate the portal. I hate NIL (in it's current form). I am starting to hate college athletics and athletes. :cry:
Do you really believe this exodus at Wyoming is NIL driven? A guy that didn’t even play. I highly doubt there are big dollars being thrown his way.

We have to be honest with ourselves with this trend under the current coaching staff.
One could easily argue that a lot of the issues we’re having is because Ike left for NIL money. It’s not direct but indirect downstream consequences of losing the best player since Nance. How many wins was Ike worth? Now the team blows, people don’t come to the games and other dudes just leave.
W-Y, Until I Die!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:03 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:56 am
Do you really believe this exodus at Wyoming is NIL driven? A guy that didn’t even play. I highly doubt there are big dollars being thrown his way.

We have to be honest with ourselves with this trend under the current coaching staff.
One could easily argue that a lot of the issues we’re having is because Ike left for NIL money. It’s not direct but indirect downstream consequences of losing the best player since Nance. How many wins was Ike worth? Now the team blows, people don’t come to the games and other dudes just leave.
I’m sure Linder’s position would be something like this. I’d say it would be difficult to make the facts fit this narrative considering Ike was one of the last players to hit the portal last year (I.e the team already bailed on Linder).
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

bladerunnr wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:45 pm I would just like to say that I am also making myself eligible for the NBA draft.

At some point you just have to laugh.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

They left because Jeff is a tyrant - that's how I read that passage. NIL money can band-aid up that headwound a bit, but it won't fix it. Linder likes to blame everyone and everything but himself. I don't disagree that the NIL era has and will continue to impact us - but I'd suggest that the porthole is the bigger issue for a coach like Linder. He can have money to toss around to attract mid- to low-tier NIL talent, but if the players hate him, the investment will run out the door at the drop of a hat. Burman has to be realistic that the average and casual fan isn't donating to a program that isn't worthy of investment. What about Cowboy basketball suggests that my $50 - $100 a month will change its trajectory? Add the other "fees" and donations required to simply attend games...and you have no interest from most fans. The AD has a huge hurdle to overcome as most fans find NIL and the porthole wholly objectionable as a fundamental matter. Pair that with a coach that has the personality of sandpaper and that hurdle becomes Mt. Everest. If I DID donate to the collective, I would want that money to go to football anyway - at least they are somewhat competitive.

As for attendance - when intramural hopscotch is competitive with attending a D1 basketball game, you are in trouble. But it would seem that the fix might be easy...walk over to main campus and ask that they change the intramural schedule to not coincide with basketball games. Above all - win. Losing multiple home games by double digits is not good.