Spring Game Cancelled

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 51 times

I’m also not sure where this narrative of ‘injuries are more common when the field is wet’ comes from. I’m not aware of any data to back that claim up.

As far as I know, the single greatest risk factor for a non-contact injury in football is playing on artificial turf surfaces, of which The War and IPF both have.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 151 times

People upset that game was canceled because of weather is really bizarre. It’s spring, no need to even risk anything.
W-Y, Until I Die!
TheRealUW
Cowpoke

laxwyo wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:39 pm People upset that game was canceled because of weather is really bizarre. It’s spring, no need to even risk anything.
For the most part, I agree with what you are saying. A couple thoughts:

1) The Wyoming coaching staff thought the Spring Game was important enough that they rescheduled it. If it wasn’t providing any benefit and was only resulting in undue risk, why reschedule it? Personally, I think the Spring Game really helps the coaches start to establish some semblance of a depth chart. Having that in place for the fall is key to get the first team reps together and used to playing with each other. We also have a new OC and, from the sounds of it, will be changing our tempo up. That kind of stuff really needs practiced in a game type setting to help minimize logistical/procedural penalties once the season starts.

2) Sawvel said in his press conference that he was worried about injuries to on a wet field. I just don’t buy that reasoning. As I said in my previous post, I can’t find any evidence that suggests the weather makes any difference at all in injury rates for football players. On the other hand, there is quite a lot of published data showing that non-contact injuries are definitely more common when playing on artificial turf surfaces. If injury risk in spring is a concern, the best thing you can do is not play the game at all or find a natural grass field to play it on.

3) Cheyenne residents are a very large portion of the fan base that travels to Laramie for game days. It would be nice to see some appreciation thrown their way. For fans, the Spring Game is about a lot more than the actual plays run on the field. The players and coaches are much more accessible than they are during a typical regular season game and fans get the chance to meet and chat with them. So do all of the fan’s kids. You want to build a dedicated fan base and get the younger generation interested in UW and their athletics? That is a great way to do it.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 12 times

^This is just it. The university should treat the fans with some respect. They have supported the team through the ups and downs. Every year the spring game is an event, not just a game, where there is renewed hope, interest, and enthusiasm for the football season.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

I’m not the smartest man, but I know it’s easier to slip on a wet surface than a dry one. And slipping risks injury. If you need stats to tell you that slick surfaces are more dangerous, than there isn’t much to talk about.
W-Y, Until I Die!
TheRealUW
Cowpoke

laxwyo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:06 am I’m not the smartest man, but I know it’s easier to slip on a wet surface than a dry one. And slipping risks injury. If you need stats to tell you that slick surfaces are more dangerous, than there isn’t much to talk about.
On a hard surface like cement or wood, I would definitely agree. However, on softer surfaces, it is actually the exact opposite.

The majority of non-contact injuries are caused by the cleat not “giving” laterally and this results in all the force being transmitted up the leg and into the ligaments of the ankle and knee joints. It’s actually the reason behind artificial turf causing more injuries than natural grass. As good as the turf is these days, it still will not allow the cleat to “give” as much as dirt/mud does with natural grass.

I do agree that wet grass is more slippery and more likely to result in your foot/legs slipping out from under you, but this is less likely to result in injury than one might think. To be fair, I am not an orthopedic surgeon or material physics expert.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 242 times

I was working and could not go
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

Great to hear about Chris Durr and DJ jones emerging during the spring game. Sounds like Durr might be real deal. Haven’t had a playmaker at WR for a while. I thought Asante was a good pickup.

Looks like we lost 2 OL to the portal
W-Y, Until I Die!
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 84 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:57 pm

Who ? Any pickups so far?
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 110 times

doreno5 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:44 am
laxwyo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:57 pm

Who ? Any pickups so far?
Forrest Scheel and Kuba Tyszka. Pretty sure Tyszka redshirted last year and didn't play. Scheel played some last season, but with the coaches talking about the need to get better on the o-line after the spring game I'm guessing he was told that he wasn't in the team's future plans.