Time for a New AD??

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 619 times
Been liked: 252 times

Maybe this is Burman's time to step down. We need a transition into a new model. Invest in people, not facilities. How old is he, anyway?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 126 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:09 am Maybe this is Burman's time to step down. We need a transition into a new model. Invest in people, not facilities. How old is he, anyway?
He is going to likely hang it up soon anyway...he has been at it since 2006, and previously 6 additional years at Portland state. So 24 years in, time to call it a career!

He has to be around 58 or 59 though - so still could work things for years. :cry:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 80 times

Unfortunately when you lose a basketball coach in May you are already far far behind. No time to conduct an AD search first.
cowpokeguy
Buckaroo
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

McPeachy wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:38 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:09 am Maybe this is Burman's time to step down. We need a transition into a new model. Invest in people, not facilities. How old is he, anyway?
He is going to likely hang it up soon anyway...he has been at it since 2006, and previously 6 additional years at Portland state. So 24 years in, time to call it a career!

He has to be around 58 or 59 though - so still could work things for years. :cry:
According to Wikipedia he is 58
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Burman
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 87 times

Burmans continued time as AD will depend entirely on how Sawvel and who he hires to replace Linder work out. Womens sports coaches have all seemed to be pretty solid hires but the real money is in FB and Men's BB.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 324 times
Been liked: 138 times

Don’t see it happen’n.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

The power of the Burman name is too strong in Laramie and at UW...sorry not at this time, unfortunately
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 132 times

doreno5 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:35 pm Burmans continued time as AD will depend entirely on how Sawvel and who he hires to replace Linder work out. Womens sports coaches have all seemed to be pretty solid hires but the real money is in FB and Men's BB.
We said that about DC, Bohl, Linder, Edwards, Schroyer, etc. etc. If some of those previous hires didn't get him canned, Linder won't. Neither will PBJ. Neither will the next bball hire. Neither will nepotism or worse. Neither will AA boggles. Neither will developing increasing dependency on taxpayer tit rather than self-financial sustainability. Neither will... He'll step down when he is damn good and ready and there isn't a damn thing anyone will do about it.

Bohl and Shyatt saved Burman's ass. If he had DC and Schroyer, for example, when the Sternberg report came out, his seat might of been a tad bit warmer.

This thread is probably sending out the Burman protection beacon.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 155 times

This thread is wild. Aside from Burman retiring, I’d say the notion of firing him is downright lunacy. Bohl will be looked at as a great hire. Linder was a good hire too. We made the tournament and all the talk was about keeping him. Sure it ended badly but so does 99% of hires. A few retire on their own terms but not many. Most coaches are successful until they’re not or they get poached. Linder’s reign will be a prime example for any coach, who takes a job here, to strike while the iron is hot. Get that new gig before it crumbles around you. If Sawvel doesn’t have any disaster seasons, he’ll be here for as long as he wants
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 132 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:29 pm This thread is wild. Aside from Burman retiring, I’d say the notion of firing him is downright lunacy. Bohl will be looked at as a great hire. Linder was a good hire too. We made the tournament and all the talk was about keeping him. Sure it ended badly but so does 99% of hires. A few retire on their own terms but not many. Most coaches are successful until they’re not or they get poached. Linder’s reign will be a prime example for any coach, who takes a job here, to strike while the iron is hot. Get that new gig before it crumbles around you. If Sawvel doesn’t have any disaster seasons, he’ll be here for as long as he wants
NIL and transfer are a godsend to folks like Burman.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WyoGeezer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

Burman name. Burman money. Tommy is The Fair Haired Boy. He'll leave when he chooses.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 619 times
Been liked: 252 times

How can anyone say he’s done well or it’s not the right time. I think literally anyone else would do as good or better a job than him. He hasn’t navigated anything well. And I bet someone else would raise just as much money as him, which is his only supposed redeeming quality
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Both? Why not Both? If you find yourself in the position of having to choose .... you probably aren't going to have great success.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

I think it's probably a deck chairs on the titanic situation at this point. Would we pay the next AD less than Burman? if so...sure.... can him and reap the savings I guess.

I find it highly unlikely that the brain trust of Wyonation.com forum degenerates (I include myself in that category) know what is wrong with Wyoming athletics and even less likely that our little group would be able to identify a productive path forward.

Again...what is the goal of the athletic department? You can tell a lot by path that has been traveled over the last 25 years. The days of being able to to truly compete nationally are gone despite a few short-lived spikes. The people running the department may have been conflicted in the past about what the athletic departments goals are but it appears that Burman's office has realized that, in UW athletics, you are limited to being a PR arm for the university whose overall goal is positive visibility at the lowest possible cost. The dollar amounts it will take to be highly athletically competitive with schools like Boise St and SDSU are not available to UW (NIL or otherwise). Whoever comes after Burman will be even worse on this front in the eyes of those of us whose enjoyment of UW athletics hinges on being highly competitive or dominant with respect to the likes of the better athletic programs in the MWC. At least Burman is old enough to value that old-school competitiveness even while the college athletics world has went crazy and knee-capped everything that used to at least sort of work for UW. The next administration will not be conflicted at all in regards to that mission. It will be politically correct glad-handing from start to finish....and it won't be because of some nefarious plot...it's just the way that the college athletics world has turned out.