Throw Money at Butlers Coach

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
theman
Ranch Hand

That's the type of coach we need to lock up for a decade or so. Brad Stevens. Throw some money at him.. Not sure if we could get him, but thats what we need and make it very hard and expensive to leave.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

Not even possible
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 106 times

He's at Butler until he retires or they fire him. Didn't he just ink a 10 year deal last season?
gopokes1399
Blog Team

contracts dont mean anything he is an unreal coach, i would not be surprised to see him at Tenn. if they fire Pearl or when Call gets in trouble at Kent. because that will happen... He is a great coach and Butler wont have the money to keep him
theman
Ranch Hand

If we want to frustrated and average forever then hire some mediocre dude. If we want to win, pay for a stud like Brad Stevens. The cost really doesnt' matter. Once he starts winning and filling up the AA, he will pay for his salary 10x. It's simple.
gbpoke
Cowpoke

There is no way in hell that Brad Stevens would leave Butler to come to Wyoming. Why would he want to anyway? It's a lateral move at best, he's from the Indianapolis area, and I'm not sure Wyoming could offer what Butler is paying him right now, supposedly upwards of $1 million base salary. He's got a great gig at Butler he'd be nuts to come to Laramie. Oh yeah, like wyo1016 mentioned he just signed a 12 year contract extension a year ago.
theman
Ranch Hand

gbpoke wrote:There is no way in hell that Brad Stevens would leave Butler to come to Wyoming. Why would he want to anyway? It's a lateral move at best, he's from the Indianapolis area, and I'm not sure Wyoming could offer what Butler is paying him right now, supposedly upwards of $1 million base salary. He's got a great gig at Butler he'd be nuts to come to Laramie. Oh yeah, like wyo1016 mentioned he just signed a 12 year contract extension a year ago.
everyone has a price.
gbpoke
Cowpoke

theman wrote:
gbpoke wrote:There is no way in hell that Brad Stevens would leave Butler to come to Wyoming. Why would he want to anyway? It's a lateral move at best, he's from the Indianapolis area, and I'm not sure Wyoming could offer what Butler is paying him right now, supposedly upwards of $1 million base salary. He's got a great gig at Butler he'd be nuts to come to Laramie. Oh yeah, like wyo1016 mentioned he just signed a 12 year contract extension a year ago.
everyone has a price.
True story, but Wyoming won't ever be the school to offer the price it would take to get Stevens out of Indianapolis.
kcpoke
Buckaroo

A lateral move? He was inches from winning a national championship just last year at Butler, and now he's in the Sweet 16 again. A Brad Stevens move from Indy to Laramie is like Dave Christensen moving to Big Piney to coach the Rustlers.

Butler is a program that we envy, not the other way around.
gbpoke
Cowpoke

kcpoke wrote:

A lateral move? He was inches from winning a national championship just last year at Butler, and now he's in the Sweet 16 again. A Brad Stevens move from Indy to Laramie is like Dave Christensen moving to Big Piney to coach the Rustlers.

Butler is a program that we envy, not the other way around.

That's why I said "lateral at best". The Horizon League isn't near the conference that the MWC conference is but Butler is certainly leaps and bounds ahead of any MWC program currently. Moving from the Horizon to the Mountain would be an upgrade but from Butler to Wyoming would be a serious downgrade for him.
theman
Ranch Hand

This is how far we've sunk? Butler has a better tradition and program than the University of Wyoming according to Wyoming's most die hard, internet message board fans.
Whatever Brad Steven's price was when I started this thread, you can triple it now. But it would still be well worth it. Make him the highest paid coach in America by 2 million dollars, lock him up for a decade. He will pay for his salary and then some by filling up the AA. Wyoming will become a national power within a few years. The only other coach I believe could do that would be John Calipari. Why not? If he doesn't want to come, Offer him double what any other coach in America is making. If he still won't come, offer triple... Still no luck, settle for a high risk high reward guy.

The alternative: Mediocrity, but still irrelevance. hopefully. You gotta dream big, lifes too damn short to be satisfied being a "mid-major".
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

He is probably worth double then any coach. Wyoming admin/government would never do it though. If I had a billion dollars I would give the money, but short of a donor gifting money it isn't going to happen. UW should just go the Auburn route for all sports if we really want to win championships (maybe if we paid enough cam would have transfered here :rofl: ). Or maybe we could save some money and go the BYU route( pay the referees to cheat).