Reason for early scrimmage

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

Taken from the UW website

"Wyoming head coach Dave Christensen had a couple reasons for including a full-speed scrimmage so early in fall camp.

"One reason for including live tackling in this first scrimmage was we had a lot of missed tackles in our season opener last season, so we determined months ago that we wanted to have more live tackling early in the fall," said Christensen. "Two, we wanted to put our young quarterbacks in as many live situations as possible this fall to help identify a starting quarterback. By having a scrimmage early in fall practice, we can get an earlier evaluation of where our quarterbacks are at in their development."

I couldn't agree more with any of the above. Our tackling was not the best last year, and DC has noted that backing off the full speed tackling out of necessity due to all the injuries and depth issues we had was a contributor. Now, that we have more depth and less injuries it should help our tackling in the early games.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Plus, it'll help the new QBs get used to college ball a lot quicker.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

I'm pretty excited about the scrimmage tomorrow and the for the rest of the fall. Looks like DC saw some things from last years camps he didn't like and he's correcting them. Here's to all the boys staying healthy.
W-Y, Until I Die!
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

I'm afraid there are going to be some serious growing pains this year...
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

Anyone see Kody Sutton run the ball yet? Plus, it looks like Ghaali is 3rd on RB depth chart? I know the coaches know what they are doing, but he seemed like a playmaker on D last year. Kind of seems odd they move him to O, to be 3rd string? Wouldnt he better better served playing higher on the depth chart on D?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Ghaali is about 6ft 230lbs. I think they may use him for power running, since they're incorporating some power run plays into the offense this year. The 2 ahead of him will probably be used for more traditional spread runs.
zappinpoke
Cowpoke

djm19 wrote:Anyone see Kody Sutton run the ball yet? Plus, it looks like Ghaali is 3rd on RB depth chart? I know the coaches know what they are doing, but he seemed like a playmaker on D last year. Kind of seems odd they move him to O, to be 3rd string? Wouldnt he better better served playing higher on the depth chart on D?
Don't pay attention to depth charts this early as they will change a few times b-4 the first game.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

djm19 wrote:Anyone see Kody Sutton run the ball yet? Plus, it looks like Ghaali is 3rd on RB depth chart? I know the coaches know what they are doing, but he seemed like a playmaker on D last year. Kind of seems odd they move him to O, to be 3rd string? Wouldnt he better better served playing higher on the depth chart on D?
You do realize he's injured right? And when you are injured you go down in the depth. And for as long as he's been injured he's lucky not to be last on the depth chart.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

djm19 wrote:I'm afraid there are going to be some serious growing pains this year...
You know. I remember everyone saying that exact same thing in CDC's first year here. We had freshman all over the field..."Growing pains" came out of practically everyone's mouth. And then, we not only went to, but won a bowl game!
What makes you think it can't happen here with the caliber pf players we have and the weakest schedule we've had in two years?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Personally, I have never been a fan of Wyoming beating up Wyoming. Further, I don't think we have the depth in the program to go at it this way. A few (more) key injuries, and we could be f-word.

I guess we'll see how well Greener & his boys did this spring / summer.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Look for more injuries. DC is rushing things. If tackling is a problem, work on the fundamentals in an individual one-on-one training session - not in a scrimmage situation. When the technique is right, the injuries go down, in my observation.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Adv8RU12 wrote:Look for more injuries. DC is rushing things. If tackling is a problem, work on the fundamentals in an individual one-on-one training session - not in a scrimmage situation. When the technique is right, the injuries go down, in my observation.
Then how do you get your QB's ready for college football pace football? one on one's don't do a thing for them.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

kansasCowboy wrote:
Adv8RU12 wrote:Look for more injuries. DC is rushing things. If tackling is a problem, work on the fundamentals in an individual one-on-one training session - not in a scrimmage situation. When the technique is right, the injuries go down, in my observation.
Then how do you get your QB's ready for college football pace football? one on one's don't do a thing for them.
QB's shouldn't be tackling anyone unless they toss a pick and the interceptor is running right at them. But the point of the post is that you spend some time on tackling fundamentals and conditioning before serious hitting. The QB's can get the feel for the speed of the game in lining up 11 on 11 and practicing the plays - blocking and getting to the QB allowed.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Being afraid of injuries in a contact sport is like being afraid of guns while hunting.

yes, you need to be cautious. but they (the coaches) have an obligation to getting this team ready come game 1. The season already started on august 4th. if a player gets hurt in the first half of the season then file for a medical redshirt. but we have to let them get some game time.

one on one drills let coaches evaluate techniques, 7 on 7 lets everyone learn route and coverage timing. But none of those drills incorperate game clock, tempo, and leadership development. Our young qbs have to develop the ability to lead this team with a game clock. reading an entire defense, translating what they see on film; too actually standing behind center and visually reading where defenders are placed... big difference.

I promise, there will be more injuries this year. but will our qbs be ready in spite of that?
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Adv8RU12 wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:
QB's shouldn't be tackling anyone unless they toss a pick and the interceptor is running right at them. But the point of the post is that you spend some time on tackling fundamentals and conditioning before serious hitting. The QB's can get the feel for the speed of the game in lining up 11 on 11 and practicing the plays - blocking and getting to the QB allowed.
I'm sure they do that a lot. That's why there are only four scrimmages and a whole bunch more practices.