Realistically, who would be the best fit for UW football?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
pokerupfront
Ranch Hand

TSpoke wrote:Personally i don't give a crap where the players come from. When they enroll at wyoming and put on the brown and gold they become Wyoming Cowboys. Sure i love the homegrown talents that have done well here. Wendling, the Bramlets, Prosinski, Betschart, those guys always mean a little more. However, if we dropped down just so we can play more wyoming kids i know i would stop going to caring as much about wyoming football and would have to find a new favorite team. I might go to a game or two but i know i wouldn't buy season tickets. If you're not competing against the best then whats the point.
And you are not competing against the best by competing in a non BCS conference. ;)

Wyoming will never, never, play in a National Championship Football game under the current structure, that is fact. FCS teams all have a chance to play for a national championship because of their playoff system. There are quite possibly ten or more FCS teams that would put a whoopin on the Cowboys this season.

So may I ask, why do you buy season tix and attend games now? :lol:

I know the truth hurts, but it is the truth notwithstanding. Wyoming is finding it nearly impossible to compete in even the Mountain West Conference, let alone against the majority of the FBS world.

I can still post that image of a very over packed Washington/Grizzly stadium if you would like to see it, and it happens on every home Saturday.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

pokerupfront wrote:So may I ask, why do you buy season tix and attend games now?
The reason i bought season tickets this year is because i bought them before the season started when i still beleived in this team. As far as attending games i have been attending less and less each game. Against Utah i had to leave in the second quarter after the blocked punt and go to the Library and start my post game activities early :party: I just couldn't stand watching that football out on the field. So i completely agree with you about how bad we are. But when we make a change at coach i believe we can challenge in the MWC, maybe not next year but with the right guy at the helm we should be winning conference championships eventually. I don't think running scared to a lower division is the way to do things. Not that it matters UW would never considering moving down.
pokerupfront
Ranch Hand

TSpoke wrote:
pokerupfront wrote:So may I ask, why do you buy season tix and attend games now?
The reason i bought season tickets this year is because i bought them before the season started when i still beleived in this team. As far as attending games i have been attending less and less each game. Against Utah i had to leave in the second quarter after the blocked punt and go to the Library and start my post game activities early :party: I just couldn't stand watching that football out on the field. So i completely agree with you about how bad we are. But when we make a change at coach i believe we can challenge in the MWC, maybe not next year but with the right guy at the helm we should be winning conference championships eventually. I don't think running scared to a lower division is the way to do things. Not that it matters UW would never considering moving down.

Agreed.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 239 times

I'd be real excited for Cowboy football if we could convince Joe Tiller to come back!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 35 times

It seems like Wyoming doesn't make a huge effort to recruit in-state. That's important.. you want to draw fans, you get some boys on the field the state can be excited about.. kids that people have followed from childhood. I can tell you right now that Montana would be competitive'ish in the MWC or WAC with a roster half full of MT kids.. and MT kids aren't that much better than WY kids. We're one of the few colleges (to my noticing) that doesn't have a roster full of homegrown kids. The Pokes probably have less than 10-15 kids on the roster from WY.. pathetic. That's 60+ scholarships going to out-of-state kids. The wrestling program does a pretty good job of going in-state.. can't say that for the rest of the programs.
ImageImageImageImage
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

Yeah, I want to win something that matters. I also don't care where the athletes come from, I just think a general increased interest by 500,000 Wyoming people could only help the program. If there are not good candidates out there to coach the Pokes, LET'S MAKE SOME. Everyone take your boys to as many football camps as possible, just to be ball boys if they aren't old enough, have them interview past or current UW coaches for English papers, lets take the initiative to make sure we have plenty of high quality football coaches with ties to the State so we aren't always whining about how we need a good coach & assistants who would be interested and stay.

A football coaching curriculum could be a long-term solution. Really, if my son were to ask me how to become a Doctor, Teacher, Attorney, CPA, whatever, I could tell him how to go about it, and could start grooming him for his future profession. College Football coach??? - I guess I'd tell him to play as much football as possible, make sure he attends the school he wants to eventually coach, even if he was a walk-on, take classes to be a teacher and coach, jump around successful programs/pro teams to see how they do things, then eventually he may get there. I don't know how it works, but that would be my guess. It would be nice if there was a program put in place to develop coaches that I could point him to, maybe there is I just don't know it.

But then again, what do I know, I thought we would be about 4-3 right now.

SUCCESS BREEDS SUCCESS, the athletes will come to be a part of a winning tradition, we just need to start winning consistently. Coaching makes a huge difference, see what Calhoun has done at Air Force with a young less talented team. Boise St has built a successful program - so can we.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote:The Pokes probably have less than 10-15 kids on the roster from WY.. pathetic.
In a typical year there are nowhere near 10-15 WY kids with D1A talent. Granted the WY players we get are usually good, because they play with a ton of heart (prosinski, wendling, mcguffey, etc...). If we have 10-15 WY kids on the roster who were recruited and given schollys out of HS, then our recruiting would definitely have to be questioned.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote:I can tell you right now that Montana would be competitive'ish in the MWC
Montana would be competitive with Wyoming and SDSU and thats it, ONLY because we are that bad right now. Anyone else and MT loses by 40.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

I think there's a lot more talent out there than what we think. I know coaches RARELY recruit the Big Horn Basin.. a lot of them go to Chadron, Black Hills, Sioux Falls, etc.
ImageImageImageImage
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

OrediggerPoke wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:I can tell you right now that Montana would be competitive'ish in the MWC
Montana would be competitive with Wyoming and SDSU and thats it, ONLY because we are that bad right now. Anyone else and MT loses by 40.
I don't think that's quite accurate. We were competitive w/ Iowa for 3 quarters during a pretty good year for Iowa. That was 2006 that happened.
ImageImageImageImage
brocksamson
Buckaroo

MrTitleist wrote:I think there's a lot more talent out there than what we think. I know coaches RARELY recruit the Big Horn Basin.. a lot of them go to Chadron, Black Hills, Sioux Falls, etc.
You're kidding right? If we have to start beating out the likes of USF for recruits then our program has really gone into the poop. I grew up in SF, my mom is a graduate of USF, I had 5 guys that I went to high school with who played football for the Coogs and 3 more who played basketball. 2 of my boys were NAIA D-II All-Americans. One of those guys ended up transferring and having to walk on to SoDakSt (DII at the time) and he struggled for playing time. Sorry, but I'm not buying the whole talent level being at a DI standard.
All I know is, if he ain't back in 10 minutes, we calling Dominoes.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 126 times

MrTitleist wrote:
OrediggerPoke wrote:
I don't think that's quite accurate. We were competitive w/ Iowa for 3 quarters during a pretty good year for Iowa. That was 2006 that happened.
Out of curiosity, who is "we" MrTitleist? And as far as competing with Iowa for 3 quarters, hell, every dog has his day. I am sure that was the exception not the norm. Don't get me wrong, we all know that Wyoming sucks hind tit this year, but the MWC is a different level of football entirely, than anything or anyone in a lower division. Can the Montana's beat the Colorado's of the football world, sure...it has been proven it can happen...once every 50 years or so.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
kahunapoke
Buckaroo

]

I heard he doesn't take responsiblity for losing. He loves to point the blame at others, especially the zebras.[/quote]

Seriously? Do you just watch sportscenter or do you follow college football?