Your Favorite Wyoming Football Moment

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Yep, its May alright. This realignment crap is becoming too much.....speculation is only cool in small doses. So lets talk about something else. What is your favorite Wyoming football moment? Be specific....where were you? How's you watch the game? Why this moment? Was it your first live Cowboy game? Bowl game? Was it back in the old WAC days? Only 3 years ago in Albuquerque(Hey, not everyone here is over 30)? Anyways, fire away.....
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Beating Ole Miss in Laramie in 2004. Followed by my least favorite from that same year when we played Utah, had a blackout that lasted for over an hour, and then Utah preceded to kick our ass during the freezing cold game.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:Beating Ole Miss in Laramie in 2004. Followed by my least favorite from that same year when we played Utah, had a blackout that lasted for over an hour, and then Utah preceded to kick our ass during the freezing cold game.
Wins over SEC schools are always sweet. Sitting in the cold must have definitely sucked though. Kudos for staying through the delay.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

J-Rod wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:Beating Ole Miss in Laramie in 2004. Followed by my least favorite from that same year when we played Utah, had a blackout that lasted for over an hour, and then Utah preceded to kick our ass during the freezing cold game.
Wins over SEC schools are always sweet. Sitting in the cold must have definitely sucked though. Kudos for staying through the delay.
Had to, I was working the game as an usher that year. 15 years old, and hundreds of people asking me when the power would come back on.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 46 times

I have two moments....

1) Watching Wyoming beat the ever living poop outta BYU on national T.V. on ESPN Thursday Night in 1988. I even recorded the game on VHS tape (remember those things? LOL). Sadly I made the dumbassed mistake of recording over the game months later. One of the dumbest mistakes of my life!!!!

2) Attending my first ever Wyoming game at War Memorial on September 15, 1990 vs. Arkansas State. Thanfully Wyoming won, 34-27. Good game that shoulda been a huge Wyoming blowout. Al Kincaid was ASU's Head coach that day.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
spindoctor02
WyoNation Moderator

It wasn't only that there was a blackout, but it was a night game as ESPN was in town. The 7 PM kickoff didn't happen until about 8:45 PM (from what I remember). It was fun watching the UW cheerleaders beat up on the Utah cheerleaders in the "warmup game" while we waited for the TV trucks to turn on. Other than that, I don't remember much about that game, as my girlfriend and I decided to head to the Library and caught the game there, where it was about 100 degrees warmer. :)

My favorite game was the 2005 game at Air Force where they pulled out the 29-28 win. If you ever get the chance to watch a game at the Academy, DO NOT pass it up. Probably the best game environment I've ever been at.

I also fondly recall the 3 home games we won in 2002-2003 where we tore down the goalposts after basically every home win (ranked Air Force in 2002, BYU and CSU in 2003). Didn't realize just how far The Ranger was from the War until I had to walk back that night. :D
sdpoke
Ranch Hand

I'd have to say the 2003 BYU game also. Me and a buncha family had front row seats at about the 35 yard line behind the cougs bench. Was flipping them sh!t all nite long, then ran threw them when the game was over to get to the goal posts. Just thinking back on that nite still makes me smile.
thirtyseven
Ranch Hand

November 8, 2008 at Tennesse.

My two favorite football teams and UW won 13-7. The people in Tennessee were great and winning the game made it that much better.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

thirtyseven wrote:November 8, 2008 at Tennesse.

My two favorite football teams and UW won 13-7. The people in Tennessee were great and winning the game made it that much better.
The most unexpected win in Wyoming's history. That season was littered with blowout losses.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/tea ... ng-cowboys
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

sdpoke wrote:I'd have to say the 2003 BYU game also. Me and a buncha family had front row seats at about the 35 yard line behind the cougs bench. Was flipping them sh!t all nite long, then ran threw them when the game was over to get to the goal posts. Just thinking back on that nite still makes me smile.
I think I was ath that game as well. Didn't we have a safety named Tyler ...something, who picked the ball of with just a minute or two left as byu was driving and that sealed the game for us?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 151 times

Las Vegas bowl. Hearing dave Walsh cry made me cry
W-Y, Until I Die!
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

laxwyo wrote:Las Vegas bowl. Hearing dave Walsh cry made me cry
That was amazing.

My favorite Wyo moment/game was when we beat Hawaii 66-0 in 96'.
I listened to the whole game why were were working on our corn chopper in the field closest to our house. We got it going just in time for me to be back in the truck to hear "The score. Oh the score"
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote:Las Vegas bowl. Hearing dave Walsh cry made me cry
is there a recording of that anywhere?
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 313 times
Been liked: 121 times

Dating myself here...

At home, was versus bWHYu & McMahon, from the Cowboy Chronicles:

"1981: UW 33, BYU 20: In a snowstorm in Laramie, it was “the other quarterback” that stole the show. Phil Davis ran 16 times for 140 yards and three touchdowns in UW’s option offense, and threw for 124 yards and a touchdown as the Cowboys rallied from a 14-0 first-quarter deficit. Why was Davis considered “the other quarterback?” BYU’s quarterback was Jim McMahon."

Away, was versus Tennessee, in Neyland, UT's homecoming (as mentioned above). It wasn't that UT was horrible that year, or that UW was horrible that year, it was the entire experience...from pre-game, trip out, game, post-game, getting kicked out of a few UT bars, etc. Great football moment!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

In Laramie- beating #13 BYU in '99. Goal posts came down and joined everyone for drinks at Buck.

Away- in Colorado Springs in '88- one of the greatest football games I've ever seen, the single greatest half of defense I've ever seen played. Has to be Wyoming's greatest comeback win ever.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Wyovanian wrote:In Laramie- beating #13 BYU in '99. Goal posts came down and joined everyone for drinks at Buck.

Away- in Colorado Springs in '88- one of the greatest football games I've ever seen, the single greatest half of defense I've ever seen played. Has to be Wyoming's greatest comeback win ever.
Agree 100%. Best game I've seen in person. Started tailgating around 8:00 (roommates brothers were stationed at Fort Carson after West Point). Got on the radio. Traded uniforms with a couple cadets (they got in trouble). Got blown over by an F-15. And watched an incredible game. Great comeback, followed by a Dee Dowis TD, followed by a Wyoming TD, followed by a Sean Flemming game winning fg. Great game.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

I sure liked the game-winning drive at CSU in 1996.

The first half of the game at Nebraska in 1994 and getting to attend the Copper Bowl in 1993 rank up there too--except that they both ended in losses.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 151 times

Was at the game for the Hawaii beat down and byu in 99'. Our football sure went in the crapper after I left school. Coinsedence?
W-Y, Until I Die!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

NT
Last edited by J-Rod on Tue May 15, 2012 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdpoke
Ranch Hand

I'm kinda surprised that nobody has mentioned the beat down of the sheep in Laramie in 2010. That has to be pretty high up on everyones list also.