Which newspaper does a better job?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

In your opinion, which newspaper covers the POKES better?

Is it the Tribune Eagle/Boomerang, or is it the Casper Star-Tribune?

I'd be interested in your answers...and why.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Can't say much about the Star-Tribune as I don't get it. But the sports section in the Boomerang usually does pretty well.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

Thanks for the response, I was starting to think that either nobody had an opinion -- or that a few folks here are a little bit too shy. Thanks again.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time

Well, alot of the people live out of state on here (probably about half), and a good many others live in smaller towns like Pine Bluffs. Most check out the occasional online sports section, but I think most haven't responded because they may not get either of the papers.
PokePride.com
Cowpoke

I live in Laramie and get the Boomerang and can go to Cheyenne and read the Tribune Eagle, they usually have the same info which is not surprising seeing they are owned by the same company. Cannot say much for the Star-Tribune don't read it and know nothing about it.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 34 times

Really depends.. Gagliardi does a great job of covering the Pokes, he's been doing so forever. The Trib seems to go through UW beat writers pretty often.. Austin Ward, Eric Schmoldt, and now Ben Frederickson. I thought Schmoldt did a good job, and generally had the breaking news first, but it seems that Trib writers find greener pastures pretty quickly. Frederickson is a pretty young guy so maybe he'll stick around for a while. As far as online content goes, both papers are good.. I think Gagliardi does a better job with online content, and has a much cleaner Pokes blog. As personalities go, just bantering with these guys on Twitter, Gagliardi is much more personable than most people.. much more so than Schmoldt (who was always friendly with me).. jury's still out on Frederickson, he's still getting his feet under him. The Trib is obviously the most read paper in the state of Wyoming with a very large distribution.. but the Eagle does a fine job.. hopefully both papers realize before they're dead that the only way to survive now is online, and making people pay to read (like the Trib does) isn't going to fly and people will get their news elsewhere.
ImageImageImageImage
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

The Casper Star-Tribune Sunday paper did not have any coverage of the Wyoming/Texas game as they said it ended after their printing deadline. They referred readers to their Trib.com internet site. I don't know if the Tribune/Eagle had coverage in their Sunday paper or not. On everything else, I echo what Mr. Titleist said.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

I really like what the Tribune Eagle & Boomerang have done with the pretty new online sports site they've created: http://www.wyosports.net/
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

DINOCOSTA wrote:I really like what the Tribune Eagle & Boomerang have done with the pretty new online sports site they've created: http://www.wyosports.net/
Gags & the Tribune/Eagle are doing a great job - I have no complaints there at all.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 116 times

They both do a great job, but I lean towards Gagliardi covering them the best. He's very accessible to his readers, and his videos of press conferences give us some great insight. I get the Tribune-Eagle, but usually read the articles online.

I like what Fredrickson has done so far, but he seems like he's still working on his connections with media relations in Laramie.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 239 times

I would say right now the Boomerang/Tribune Eagle since the creation of wyosports.net. Print versions are definitely a thing of the past. In fact, I don't have any friends my age and younger that receive print versions of either paper.

However, I think the Casper Star-Tribune has a better online site (updated much more frequently) for covering state news other than the Pokes.
uwaluminidaho
Buckaroo

I would say that the Casper e edition has much better coverage, content and presentation than the Laramie or Cheyenne combined e editions. Fredrickson's articles much more indepth and informative. Recently, one of Gag's articles had three consectutive sentences (or were they paragraphs??) starting out with "Christensen said..." What the hell is that?
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

I like them both, for a bit different perspectives. I grew up in Northern Wyoming and CST is the majority of readership up there, I live in Cheyenne now and know Gags and his style and come sunday's I read them both. Just love the fact that you have Sirius XM getting Poke Nation known out there, much to the chagrin of the East Coast...lol