Toledo Coach Campbell Finally Heads West

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

Full Column: http://www.toledoblade.com/UT/2012/09/0 ... -west.html

Much of the discussion locally next week will center on Matt Campbell facing his previous employer, Bowling Green, in the Battle of I-75.

Unknown to many is University of Toledo's football coach is in a similar position this week. Campbell never loaded a moving truck, never signed his name to a contract, and an announcement of his hiring was not distributed to the media. But for a day or two in December, 2008, he was committed to be an assistant coach at Wyoming.

Motivating him to retract his verbal agreement was an enticing deal from Toledo, where he would be a coordinator rather than a position coach, and where it would be unnecessary to uproot his family and move 20 hours away.

"That opportunity outweighed the opportunity of moving out there," Campbell said.

Four years later, Campbell will finally make the trip to Laramie when the Rockets travel west for the second straight week to take on a Wyoming team that has fared well without him.

The Cowboys, under fourth-year coach Dave Christensen, have played in two bowl games and notched eight wins last season.
Poke Around
Ranch Hand

It's news, except if you read the story two years ago when Wyoming played at Toledo and he was an assistant at Toledo.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 117 times

From what the coaches have been saying in the papers Campbell sounds like a fast rising star in the coaching world. Both HCDC and Brandon have nothing but praise for him.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

Poke Around wrote:It's news, except if you read the story two years ago when Wyoming played at Toledo and he was an assistant at Toledo.
Yeah, except the story and the 'news' wasn't posted two years ago -- it was posted only a day or so ago.

Make sure you buy a new WYO jacket this year that looks better on you than the one you wore in that picture...doesn't do you right.

P.S. Go Rockies.
Poke Around
Ranch Hand

What? Jacket? You mean Go Rockets? Sorry. I'm a Cowboys fan, not Toledo.
Last edited by Poke Around on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'