Chiming In: Buchanan / Burman

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth...jack squat.

Buchanan's hiring was suspect to begin with. He wasn't on the list of top / final candidates, and a few wads within the UW academic community protested to the trustees...ultimately ending up in his name being thrown into the hat. From there...guess what...who would want the job (of the original candidates)!?! Nobody...so UW was "stuck" with Buchanan.

That being said, did he do a good job from 2005 - 2012? Sure. But I don't give him credit for the $670 million that was spent at UW the last 10 years. Not one cent. That was all planning and vision from Phil & Ben. All Buchanan did was be present for the ground-breaking, and be present for the opening. None of the infastructure that we have seen built at UW was Buchanan's doing...from what I know of. That was all primarily a Phil / Ben (and staff) vision.

Want to see what Buchanan really did as UW President, take a look at what happens during the next 10 years at UW. Let's see what happens. On a sports note, I will give him the AA renovation that is upcoming. But that has been discussed amongst certain trustees & AD's (plural) since the mid 90's. And if you don't know it already Burman is a hoops fan far before a football fan. Not hard to see where the push on this came from.

Onto Burman. First off, you have to look at what he has done, with his limited (and pathetic) resources & budget. Branch, DC, Shyatt, Volleyballbitch, etc. Sure he lost a tennis coach and soccer coach that were hired away, but those programs both excelled from his hires. Looks like track may have some life now...and he has kept Legerski happy in Wyoming (for the most part).

On the downside...we have the Schroyer debacle...and not just the hiring, but the pissing away of state money extending his contract. That is all on him. We also got to witness such fun things as "no coach at Wyoming will ever be paid a million dollars," and "we are looking forward to being competitive with schools & programs that have a similar budget that we do." Not very foward thinking, and definitely not a visionary - type statement.

And lastly. UW better be watching what is going on down south 60 miles. UW better change, or they will be changed. It starts with a mentality from the leadership (first President, then AD). Good enough isn't good enough. I hate how the future looks for Wyoming, primarily athletically, if we remain thinking things are great how they are. And ultimately, athletics IS THE FRONT PORCH to the University of Wyoming. Want to grow academically, grow athletically.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Good post McP.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

McPeachy wrote: And lastly. UW better be watching what is going on down south 60 miles. UW better change, or they will be changed. It starts with a mentality from the leadership (first President, then AD). Good enough isn't good enough. I hate how the future looks for Wyoming, primarily athletically, if we remain thinking things are great how they are. And ultimately, athletics IS THE FRONT PORCH to the University of Wyoming. Want to grow academically, grow athletically.
Spot on! :thumb:

If CSU gets this new stadium deal done and with the vision their new AD has, we could be in serious trouble. This whole idea of "things are better than they used to be" is not going to cut it and we will be left behind. It may not happen but UW needs to be twice as aggressive as anyone in the MWC because we do have market size disadvantages to overcome.
I'm good for 3!
hithere
Ranch Hand

McPeachy wrote:On the downside...we have the Schroyer debacle...and not just the hiring, but the pissing away of state money extending his contract. That is all on him. We also got to witness such fun things as "no coach at Wyoming will ever be paid a million dollars," and "we are looking forward to being competitive with schools & programs that have a similar budget that we do." Not very foward thinking, and definitely not a visionary - type statement.

And lastly. UW better be watching what is going on down south 60 miles. UW better change, or they will be changed. It starts with a mentality from the leadership (first President, then AD). Good enough isn't good enough. I hate how the future looks for Wyoming, primarily athletically, if we remain thinking things are great how they are. And ultimately, athletics IS THE FRONT PORCH to the University of Wyoming. Want to grow academically, grow athletically.
Very good post.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Excellent post. About time someone said it like it is. Future games are being won more off the field than on it. If the Rammies can figure that out, so can Wyoming. Time to move FORWARD! (Unintended political slogan....Obama does not own that sentence)
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

I agree with McPeachy.

The time for just sitting on our asses is over.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

Wyokie wrote:I agree with McPeachy.

but my back hurts when i type standing up
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

wyosteelerfan wrote:

You get my point. :roll: Everyone gotta be a smartass. :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

Wyokie wrote:
wyosteelerfan wrote:

http://www.instantrimshot.com
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

wyosteelerfan wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
wyosteelerfan wrote:

http://www.instantrimshot.com
Don't give up your dayjob. :roll:
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I'm so sick of the whole, if you wanna grow academically then grow athletically first, because we all know schools like stanford and harvard and yale are all such big athletics power houses. Yes I know standford is good, and has been good periodically throughout time, but john elway isn't what made stanford "Stanford". Same with andrew luck.

And i totally disagree with mcpeachy. First of all, you dont like the way wyomings athletic future is looking? HOW? WHY? coach C, coach shyatt... those are the two big money makers. And we are just fine and starting to excel in both of those.
And CSU is all talk, they aren't getting poop done. Don't buy into the hype. they can't sell out now, they suck, 3-9 for three straight years, but if they get a new BIGGER stadium, they WILL sell out and WILL be a top 25 program? Haha, okay. Don't buy into the hype.

Wyoming is fine, and the university itse;f is fine without sports. I want the sports to be here, but we would be fine without sports. Even if we were d-3. Ask colorado school of mines.

There is more behind a university than a football jersey!
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Most universities aren't Stanford and Harvard.. most universities are just like Wyoming. Schools like Cal, Stanford, Ivys, etc are academics first and have very high admissions standards.. it just so happens that Cal, Stanford, and Harvard are pretty good at athletics too.. Harvard boasts a good football team, usually a good basketball team, and a respectable wrestling team.. however, Harvard is private and has a VERY large endowment and some of the most successful people in this country are alumni. That's comparing apples to oranges. The above schools are the exception, not the rule, when saying that athletics is the front door to a university. I mean, really, who would have ever heard of Drexel or George Mason or Virginia Commonwealth had it not been for amazing NCAA basketball tournament runs. I'm sure those universities experienced enrollment growth after their athletics were showcased on the biggest stage.
ImageImageImageImage
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

MrTitleist wrote:Most universities aren't Stanford and Harvard.. most universities are just like Wyoming. Schools like Cal, Stanford, Ivys, etc are academics first and have very high admissions standards.. it just so happens that Cal, Stanford, and Harvard are pretty good at athletics too.. Harvard boasts a good football team, usually a good basketball team, and a respectable wrestling team.. however, Harvard is private and has a VERY large endowment and some of the most successful people in this country are alumni. That's comparing apples to oranges. The above schools are the exception, not the rule, when saying that athletics is the front door to a university. I mean, really, who would have ever heard of Drexel or George Mason or Virginia Commonwealth had it not been for amazing NCAA basketball tournament runs. I'm sure those universities experienced enrollment growth after their athletics were showcased on the biggest stage.
Well said and exactly how I see it.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

BeaverPoke wrote:I'm so sick of the whole, if you wanna grow academically then grow athletically first, because we all know schools like stanford and harvard and yale are all such big athletics power houses. Yes I know standford is good, and has been good periodically throughout time, but john elway isn't what made stanford "Stanford". Same with andrew luck.

And i totally disagree with mcpeachy. First of all, you dont like the way wyomings athletic future is looking? HOW? WHY? coach C, coach shyatt... those are the two big money makers. And we are just fine and starting to excel in both of those.
And CSU is all talk, they aren't getting poop done. Don't buy into the hype. they can't sell out now, they suck, 3-9 for three straight years, but if they get a new BIGGER stadium, they WILL sell out and WILL be a top 25 program? Haha, okay. Don't buy into the hype.

Wyoming is fine, and the university itse;f is fine without sports. I want the sports to be here, but we would be fine without sports. Even if we were d-3. Ask colorado school of mines.

You should have started your post, like I started mine..."Just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth...jack squat."

Anyway...let me address a few things in your post. First off, did you know that when Utah was invited to the PAC10 (keep in mind that was athletically driven)...that the student application for enrollment increased 18% - and basically overnight. To Wyoming, that would mean an additional 2500 applicants...to Utah, it meant an additional 6000. Want to venture to guess what has happened at BOISE STATE the last 10 years as far as enrollment goes? Sure as hell isn't a product of a great education or well know academics. The success of Donkey football, has done WONDERS for Donkey academics. :lol:

And yes, I don't like the way that Wyoming athletics "future" is looking (here is the part you missed reading) if we remain thinking things are great how they are. Wyoming, like it or not, is no Harvard, Stanford, or Yale. I am sure you are proud of your degree, as am I, but you are comparing McDonald's to Bob's Burger Shack. Wyoming needs to be striving to compete with the level above, not satisified with competing with the level below.

Bottom line, athletics IS the front porch of the University. If Wyoming were perennial top 25 in hoops and football, enrollment would naturally sky rocket (a proven fact). And when enrollment sky rockets Beav, guess what, the University of Wyoming, as a whole (and especially academically) sky rockets. Then maybe we could throw out some comparisons with Harvard, Stanford, or Yale. ;) Maybe.
Dear Karma,

BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:I'm so sick of the whole, if you wanna grow academically then grow athletically first, because we all know schools like stanford and harvard and yale are all such big athletics power houses. Yes I know standford is good, and has been good periodically throughout time, but john elway isn't what made stanford "Stanford". Same with andrew luck.

You should have started your post, like I started mine..."Just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth...jack squat."

Anyway...let me address a few things in your post. First off, did you know that when Utah was invited to the PAC10 (keep in mind that was athletically driven)...that the student application for enrollment increased 18% - and basically overnight. To Wyoming, that would mean an additional 2500 applicants...to Utah, it meant an additional 6000. Want to venture to guess what has happened at BOISE STATE the last 10 years as far as enrollment goes? Sure as hell isn't a product of a great education or well know academics. The success of Donkey football, has done WONDERS for Donkey academics. :lol:

And yes, I don't like the way that Wyoming athletics "future" is looking (here is the part you missed reading) if we remain thinking things are great how they are. Wyoming, like it or not, is no Harvard, Stanford, or Yale. I am sure you are proud of your degree, as am I, but you are comparing McDonald's to Bob's Burger Shack. Wyoming needs to be striving to compete with the level above, not satisified with competing with the level below.

Bottom line, athletics IS the front porch of the University. If Wyoming were perennial top 25 in hoops and football, enrollment would naturally sky rocket (a proven fact). And when enrollment sky rockets Beav, guess what, the University of Wyoming, as a whole (and especially academically) sky rockets. Then maybe we could throw out some comparisons with Harvard, Stanford, or Yale. ;) Maybe.

First off McPeachy, what's your beef with bob's burger's? Lol
And second of all, I get your point.
And third of all, again whats the problem with bob's burger, I love that show... ;)
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

BeaverPoke wrote:First off McPeachy, what's your beef with bob's burger's? Lol
And second of all, I get your point.
And third of all, again whats the problem with bob's burger, I love that show... ;)
You have a point. But, if you must ask...why are the burgers placed over the sink (and under the faucet) in the kitchen? :lol: Oh, and I am the guy second from the left.
Dear Karma,

Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Do I really have to explain this?

The sink is to the left it has a green towel on the front of it. The faucet in the back is in the background next to the dishwasher, The window is a window between the back and the front.

Am I the only one that spent my teens working in a kitchen and hating every minute of it? I smell extreme sarcasm here I hope you enjoyed that :P

BTW - Bobs Burgers > McDonalds