If a new coach next season -- who are your top names?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 239 times

SDPokeFan wrote:Bobby Petrino. Give him whatever he wants. Hell, I will even help him find a volleyball player to date.

Everywhere he has went (on the college level) he has had success. Wyoming football would see success it has never witnessed if he was brought in. Sure, he is a little sketchy, but there are "gray areas" of all winning programs. Enough of these unproven coordinators and lower-level guys. Unless, of course, you enjoy losing to Cal-Polident. Then by all means, lets keep shuffling these nobodies through Laramie.
Billy G had a checkered past and was successful everywhere he went too... (ask TTU if they would like a do over)
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

SDPokeFan wrote:Bobby Petrino. Give him whatever he wants. Hell, I will even help him find a volleyball player to date.

Everywhere he has went (on the college level) he has had success. Wyoming football would see success it has never witnessed if he was brought in. Sure, he is a little sketchy, but there are "gray areas" of all winning programs. Enough of these unproven coordinators and lower-level guys. Unless, of course, you enjoy losing to Cal-Polident. Then by all means, lets keep shuffling these nobodies through Laramie.
So, you're saying you would rather risk putting a "Black mark" on our program just to win games? Risk the bowl bans, and even at a later date forfeit wins because you wanted wins from a sketchy coach. Why don't you just be a fan of USC? How many years of no bowls no matter how many wins?
Do people like you just thrive on not making sense?
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 47 times

Question for ya, KansasCowboy....

Which you rather have for Wyoming...
A winning program that actually wins conference championships, Top 25 finishes, NFL 1st rounders, etc....

Or

a Mediocre piece of poop that goes to mediocre bowl games once every 6-7 years like the New Mexico Bowl against low level BCS schools or Non-BCS schools that does beat the poop outta Wyoming like Temple did last December?
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Wyokie wrote:Question for ya, KansasCowboy....

A winning program that actually wins conference championships, Top 25 finishes, NFL 1st rounders, etc....

Or

a Mediocre piece of poop that goes to mediocre bowl games once every 6-7 years like the New Mexico Bowl against low level BCS schools or Non-BCS schools that does beat the poop outta Wyoming like Temple did last December?
Put it this way Wyokie, which would you rather have;

A program that has a few years of great seasons, and then gets hammered by the NCAA for numerous infractions, gets bowl bans, reduced schollies....

Or

A clean program that builds up that earns their way to the top the Cowboy way, not the cheater's way.

If HCDC is the guy, fine by me. If he's not, then when we can afford to, the AD will look for a new head coach.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

fromolwyoming wrote:

Or

Put it this way Wyokie, which would you rather have;

A program that has a few years of great seasons, and then gets hammered by the NCAA for numerous infractions, gets bowl bans, reduced schollies....

Or

A clean program that builds up that earns their way to the top the Cowboy way, not the cheater's way.

If HCDC is the guy, fine by me. If he's not, then when we can afford to, the AD will look for a new head coach.
If you're still P.O.ed at Petrino, UW can always put a tight leash on him. Just put a provision in his contract saying if he does anything stupid off the field, UW can void the rest of his contract without paying him a single penny from that moment on. No payout necessary.

Everyone deserves a second chance. So, he screwed up. We all have at one point or another. Hell, look at Smith. Granted it was the refs fault but I'm sure Smith will learn from it and makes he doesn't do anything to piss off the refs again.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 239 times

Wyokie wrote: If you're still P.O.ed at Petrino, UW can always put a tight leash on him. Just put a provision in his contract saying if he does anything stupid off the field, UW can void the rest of his contract without paying him a single penny from that moment on. No payout necessary.
This thread is stupid, because it isn't happening and DC will be here next year.

However, no attorney/agent with any sort of bargaining power would agree to a contract with UW under those terms. Petrino will be desirable he just has to wait for the opportunity. If UW really wanted him, he would have the bargaining power.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

OrediggerPoke wrote:
Wyokie wrote: If you're still P.O.ed at Petrino, UW can always put a tight leash on him. Just put a provision in his contract saying if he does anything stupid off the field, UW can void the rest of his contract without paying him a single penny from that moment on. No payout necessary.
This thread is stupid, because it isn't happening and DC will be here next year.
You're probably right and it wouldn't shock me if Brett Smith were to pull a ACS and transfer either.
However, no attorney/agent with any sort of bargaining power would agree to a contract with UW under those terms. Petrino will be desirable he just has to wait for the opportunity. If UW really wanted him, he would have the bargaining power.
He'll want to prove he's still good and would want someone to give him another shot.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Or

So, I know that you all would sellout to the worst just to be great. There's no Glory in that. Why cheer for that. I cheer for a program that has gone through a lot. And I continue to back it. I would love to have a coach who could magically make us conference champions, give us top25 finishes and NFL 1st rounders. Who wouldn't want that?
But not by cheating. Not by making my school look like a USC or Penn St. or so on. Why win and have it all taken away later?
Tell me, are you just in it for instant gratification?
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Okay, not advocating for Petrino here.....but did he get Arkansas or Louisville in trouble? NCAA violations wise? The banging his secretary thing is definitely immoral and likely ruined his marriage, but in terms of football, that is not "cheating" or gaining a competitive advantage that would expose the school to possible NCAA violations.

Burman turned Gillespie away, so there is no chance of hiring Petrino on his watch. But I'm not sure Petrino has ever been a "cheater" in football. A classless asswipe that screwed around behind his wife? Absolutely. "Cheater"? Not sure about that.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

J-Rod wrote:Okay, not advocating for Petrino here.....but did he get Arkansas or Louisville in trouble? NCAA violations wise? The banging his secretary thing is definitely immoral and likely ruined his marriage, but in terms of football, that is not "cheating" or gaining a competitive advantage that would expose the school to possible NCAA violations.

Burman turned Gillespie away, so there is no chance of hiring Petrino on his watch. But I'm not sure Petrino has ever been a "cheater" in football. A classless asswipe that screwed around behind his wife? Absolutely. "Cheater"? Not sure about that.
+1
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Wyokie wrote:
J-Rod wrote:Okay, not advocating for Petrino here.....but did he get Arkansas or Louisville in trouble? NCAA violations wise? The banging his secretary thing is definitely immoral and likely ruined his marriage, but in terms of football, that is not "cheating" or gaining a competitive advantage that would expose the school to possible NCAA violations.

+1
I remember everyone being up in arms about what Dimel did... Then we have someone that would talk about how he's not a good role model, how can we get our kids to appreciate the program, this isn't community oriented and so forth.
It goes both ways.Complain now or later.It's all you ever seem to do anyway. Especially J-Rod.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 35 times

Remember when Bobby Petrino left Atlanta high and dry in the middle of a football season? Remember when Bobby Petrino got caught with his pants down at Arkansas right before football season now they're one of the worst teams in the SEC? Yeah, Bobby Petrino is legit.. let's hire him.
ImageImageImageImage
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

kansasCowboy wrote:

Or

So, I know that you all would sellout to the worst just to be great. There's no Glory in that. Why cheer for that. I cheer for a program that has gone through a lot. And I continue to back it. I would love to have a coach who could magically make us conference champions, give us top25 finishes and NFL 1st rounders. Who wouldn't want that?
But not by cheating. Not by making my school look like a USC or Penn St. or so on. Why win and have it all taken away later?
Tell me, are you just in it for instant gratification?
Yes, now you're getting it. Give me three great years over 25 terrible/mediocre years any day. I have been saying since 2000 that someone will turn this program around "The Cowboy Way." The Cowboy Way appears to be losing to FCS school and being consistently terrible.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

My bad

Go Pokes!
Last edited by DocHolliday on Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

I would like to think that the disgust shown here on the board over the last few weeks, the invective that has been launched consistently (by yours truly many times as well) should be looked upon with somewhat of a silver lining.

What I mean by that -- is that it shows that we're passionate about this football program and that we've had it up to here with the one step forward and two steps back pattern.

If there was a "I don't really care" attitude expressed, or if there were nothing but brown & gold Kool-Aid drinkers on this board, that would speak horribly to the emotional investment that so many have for Cowboys football.

Adding to the angst and the vitriol being tossed around I believe, is that a lot of us (me too) really thought that coming off of last season with Smith as our QB and an improved defense...that this year could really be something special. Hell, the Tribune-Eagle put out a tremendous supplemental magazine right before kickoff this season and it more than hinted that the Pokes could contend realistically for the MWC Championship.

We were fired up, we thought this was going to be the year, the extension of many of the positive things we all witnessed last season was going to carry over -- when it didn't -- we all blew a gasket in many different ways.

Actually the whole; 'who would you pick to coach thing', kind of bothers me...in that I really feel (felt?) that Dave Christensen was going to be the guy to make Wyoming football a winner, not just for a year or two, but over a long period of time, consistently winning 8-9 games a year, heading to bowl games, and raising the profile of Wyoming both in state as well as around the country.

I like the guy, I think he's done some good things obviously, but just like any fan who lives and dies with the games -- then add the expectations in there for this season, the ugly results thus far...and you have a toxic mix that has a lot of us throwing out anything we can to helpfully remedy the situation.

I'd love nothing more than for us to rip Air Force's heads off this Saturday, for this team to get as disgusted as we all are (it'd be nice to see the coach get disgusted as well), hope we run the table, and make some sort of an impact with the games we have remaining.

All in all, I think we all are tiring of Wyoming football not becoming more than what it is now, what it's been in the past, and what we might actually fear for what it could become in the future?

My desire, behind all of the anger and disgust I've shown at times, is for the Pokes to win out the rest of the season, to put the doubt about our coaches behind us, for the Pokes to blow away everyone next year in Brett's junior campaign, for us to go undefeated in his senior year, and for Coach Christensen to be here and coaching a program that is the envy of others as we roll into the year 2020...with a packed War Memorial Stadium to boot.

Go Pokes!
uwaluminidaho
Buckaroo

Dino, Just about the time I am about to think ‘just a prick by a different name’, I must give you your just rewards and applaud you for your thoughts and prose. Well put. Although I am not as optimistic as you, the cool-aid drinkers and those in the Nation wearing rose colored glasses may be about the Poke’s immediate future and possibilities for victories, I am always hopeful long term of what our place will be in D1 sports. Anyway, nice to know your soul isn’t as black as I once thought.
Go Pokes, down a different road.
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

laxwyo wrote:This thread is gay
No poop. I mean here I was minding my own business and all the sudden this thread comes over and puts its hand on my thigh. What the f-word man? Don't touch my junk!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

Aaron wrote:
laxwyo wrote:This thread is gay
No poop. I mean here I was minding my own business and all the sudden this thread comes over and puts its hand on my thigh. What the f-word man? Don't touch my junk!
Could be worse. It coulda been Jerry Sandusky. :rofl:
uwaluminidaho
Buckaroo

Ignorance. Just ignorance. Playing the Sandusky card and implying it is humorous proves it.

Go Pokes, down a different road.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

it's an even year, DC doesn't coach well in even years, Burman will not let him go, we all know that!!!! Let's see what 2013 brings...lol