How big of a deal is this?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

I'm so amazed that since 1996, we haven't mattered in the top 20-25 since, I knew it was hard to recruit to Laramie but a few bowl games here and there, man why does it take us so long to recover....I still live in the Roach Tiller years when I went to school but man when can we turn the corner and matter in college football again. I agree Koenning was a horrible head coach but a good D coord...kinda starting to think the same about DC, as good O coord...maybe the game's too fast for him???? I was at the Joe Glenn flipping off game, and man the Utah media sure blew that one outta the water. I always hate saying wait til next year, but I'm thinking that's where we are now.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

stymeman wrote:I'm so amazed that since 1996, we haven't mattered in the top 20-25 since, I knew it was hard to recruit to Laramie but a few bowl games here and there, man why does it take us so long to recover....I still live in the Roach Tiller years when I went to school but man when can we turn the corner and matter in college football again. I agree Koenning was a horrible head coach but a good D coord...kinda starting to think the same about DC, as good O coord...maybe the game's too fast for him???? I was at the Joe Glenn flipping off game, and man the Utah media sure blew that one outta the water. I always hate saying wait til next year, but I'm thinking that's where we are now.
Many teams have never even whiffed the top 25, but it has been too long of a dry spell for Wyoming. I thought we were on the right track after the Las Vegas Bowl win in Joe's 2nd year. I remember some polls had us in their preseason top 25, but that went away quickly. Like Joe, DC started in a hole, a hole which takes time to climb out of. We went to 2 bowls in the past 3 years and up until Fresno, were competitive in every game even without the team leader. Things have gone downhill, but the team is not in a hole and could be very competitive next year. Lot of good looking players redshirting or who will be returning. However, DC need to step up and show what he can do next year. It will be his 5th year (same as Joe) and he needs to prove he has taken us in the right direction.

In regards to Joe's finger....it wasn't Utah's media that blew it out of proportion, it was caught on TV. Difference is, Joe was okay flipping off Wittingham during a 50 point blowout, but DC was deemed out of control for calling Calhoun a cheater in a one point, come from behind loss while starting a true freshman QB.

I, for one, would love if this was just put to rest.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:
Publicity apparently doesn't hurt anybody anymore. PSU is doing pretty good this year. USC has never faltered even with their bowl ban. I'll rank on how if affected our program.
Wait 2 years on PSU...they still have good players in the program
And everyone said the exact same thing about USC. They can't go to a bowl for how many years? That will affect their recruiting, and every year they've been ranked up close to the top. Players never left. New coaching staff and the program continues to grow. PSU will probably be exactly the same.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 155 times

kansasCowboy wrote:
OrediggerPoke wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:
Publicity apparently doesn't hurt anybody anymore. PSU is doing pretty good this year. USC has never faltered even with their bowl ban. I'll rank on how if affected our program.
And everyone said the exact same thing about USC. They can't go to a bowl for how many years? That will affect their recruiting, and every year they've been ranked up close to the top. Players never left. New coaching staff and the program continues to grow. PSU will probably be exactly the same.
that's probably because they are still cheating! :rofl:
W-Y, Until I Die!
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

kansasCowboy wrote:
OrediggerPoke wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:
i'll do you one better

the PSU poop will eventually end up helping them if only for the fact that Penn State was the only thing in the headlines in every section of the paper (not just sports) for a month...and every one of those articles discussed PSU as if they were the single greatest national power since the invention of football just to make the story sound more juicy to the non sports fans (who greatly outnumber us...and would have no clue otherwise)

basically they inadvertently pumped a bunch of sunshine up that school's ass as far as perceived national reputation goes (instead of calling them what they were...basically an average AQ conference team) and that image is what the recruiting class four years from now (freshman in highschool....ninth graders....freaking 15 year olds) will remember about PSU
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

I'm so sick of this Black-14 stuff...as I posited an an earlier thread, Coach Eaton and the entire University were caught up in the politically correct windage of the day...the players should have been held accountable for trying to take control of a football program and holding it hostage because they couldn't get their way.

Screw all 14 of them...unlike many, I have no reservations telling anyone that there is not an ounce of 'white guilt' residing within me...I refuse to hold UW responsible for the mess this situation created.

Those players went about a chain of command and through the proper protocol of lodging a grievance, they were heard, had a forum to express their concerns, and their request was denied by a coach who was more interested in the collective concerns of his entire team rather than 14 members seeking to grandstand for their own political purposes.

The players responded in an obtuse and selfish way after being told by Eaton that what they sought was not going to happen.

I stand by Eaton 1000% on this issue...and I 'm perfectly aware that I'm supposed to feel all guilty and tragic about these poor 14 souls who found their world's crushed by BYU players and fans at the time -- reason enough for UW's football team to acquiesce to a select few without regard to the entire team of players.

Every time this issue is bought up I get sick by the knee-jerk jump to cast the University in some sort of evil-like light...and whether or not you side with me or not, I believe it is high time to get down off of your stools of ever lasting repentance.

If anyone needs a reminder, I wrote the following a few weeks ago on this issue:

On another thread on another subject, another poster decided to bring about the subject of the Black-14 into the narrative.

By the '14', I'll assume the poster was referring to what is commonly known as; 'The Black 14?'

Since the issue was raised within the context of another thread - it compelled me to mention (just in case others have not) that that episode in this man's opinion -- was a very selfish and grandstanding type of an act -- that unfortunately resulted in the firing of a coach and the downgrading and staining of a football program, and I have never felt that to be right.

In fact, I feel the entire issue cast a pall over the University and the Pokes program - a pall that was never ever deserved.

The winds of political correctness in its aftermath have unfortunately stained a head coach (Lloyd Eaton) who would not allow any one single issue by any player - or sector of players - to disrupt the entire team wide concept. If I had been around back then I would have supported it completely and with history on my side I support it unequivocally, now, and forever.

While doing radio in Denver I had the opportunity to have book author Ryan Thornburn on my show and spoke about this issue for a good 45 minutes - indeed - I let Ryan know of my feelings regarding this issue.

Upon conclusion of the book I found the players to be obtuse in their actions and manners...they went through the proper protocol of airing a grievance, they were heard, had their forum, and the head coach of the team denied their request.

So far as I am concerned -- the 14 players in question got their just desserts and failed their own teammates and the University Of Wyoming - not the other way around.

Had Eaton allowed their requests at the time, it would have established a precedence that could have led to other 'singular' issues being put in front of the rest of the program down the line for years.

Just to clarify in case anyone believes that all Wyoming Cowboys fans side with the Black 14 players...this one obviously never has - nor ever will.

If you plan on making me aware of the political sphere at the time this issue evolved, spare your time, I am more than aware of what the societal grid was like at that time unfortunately -- and none of it moves me to consider that the players were correct in their actions.

I stand by my stance, and I'd think that probably many others would agree with me on my thoughts...thoughts that may be conviction driven, however, in the sick & twisted world of intimidating political correctness may not allow another person to publicly stand on the same side of the street as do I for fear of whatever scorn may come their way.

I on the other hand have no such concerns.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Good Grief! Way to get on your soap box about one topic on this thread. Do you have a full page for, the finger, DC rant, 59 recruiting and Koenning?
I guess we see you rank that number 1.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

kansasCowboy wrote:Good Grief! Way to get on your soap box about one topic on this thread. Do you have a full page for, the finger, DC rant, 59 recruiting and Koenning?
Twist and turn it any way you so wish to with sarcasm and humor...the point I raise is a larger one than the one that seeks an answer to your question.

The bottom line is I'm sick & tired of the Black-14 being portrayed though such sappy and sympathetic notes.

Wyoming did nothing wrong.

Lyoyd Eaton did nothing wrong.

The Black-14 themselves were responsible for a selfish act that caused irreparable damage to the University and the football program that wasn't deserved.

Period.
Poke Around
Ranch Hand

DocHolliday wrote:I'm so sick of this Black-14 stuff...as I posited an an earlier thread, Coach Eaton and the entire University were caught up in the politically correct windage of the day...the players should have been held accountable for trying to take control of a football program and holding it hostage because they couldn't get their way.

Screw all 14 of them...unlike many, I have no reservations telling anyone that there is not an ounce of 'white guilt' residing within me...I refuse to hold UW responsible for the mess this situation created.

Those players went about a chain of command and through the proper protocol of lodging a grievance, they were heard, had a forum to express their concerns, and their request was denied by a coach who was more interested in the collective concerns of his entire team rather than 14 members seeking to grandstand for their own political purposes.

The players responded in an obtuse and selfish way after being told by Eaton that what they sought was not going to happen.

I stand by Eaton 1000% on this issue...and I 'm perfectly aware that I'm supposed to feel all guilty and tragic about these poor 14 souls who found their world's crushed by BYU players and fans at the time -- reason enough for UW's football team to acquiesce to a select few without regard to the entire team of players.

Every time this issue is bought up I get sick by the knee-jerk jump to cast the University in some sort of evil-like light...and whether or not you side with me or not, I believe it is high time to get down off of your stools of ever lasting repentance.

If anyone needs a reminder, I wrote the following a few weeks ago on this issue:

On another thread on another subject, another poster decided to bring about the subject of the Black-14 into the narrative.

By the '14', I'll assume the poster was referring to what is commonly known as; 'The Black 14?'

Since the issue was raised within the context of another thread - it compelled me to mention (just in case others have not) that that episode in this man's opinion -- was a very selfish and grandstanding type of an act -- that unfortunately resulted in the firing of a coach and the downgrading and staining of a football program, and I have never felt that to be right.

In fact, I feel the entire issue cast a pall over the University and the Pokes program - a pall that was never ever deserved.

The winds of political correctness in its aftermath have unfortunately stained a head coach (Lloyd Eaton) who would not allow any one single issue by any player - or sector of players - to disrupt the entire team wide concept. If I had been around back then I would have supported it completely and with history on my side I support it unequivocally, now, and forever.

While doing radio in Denver I had the opportunity to have book author Ryan Thornburn on my show and spoke about this issue for a good 45 minutes - indeed - I let Ryan know of my feelings regarding this issue.

Upon conclusion of the book I found the players to be obtuse in their actions and manners...they went through the proper protocol of airing a grievance, they were heard, had their forum, and the head coach of the team denied their request.

So far as I am concerned -- the 14 players in question got their just desserts and failed their own teammates and the University Of Wyoming - not the other way around.

Had Eaton allowed their requests at the time, it would have established a precedence that could have led to other 'singular' issues being put in front of the rest of the program down the line for years.

Just to clarify in case anyone believes that all Wyoming Cowboys fans side with the Black 14 players...this one obviously never has - nor ever will.

If you plan on making me aware of the political sphere at the time this issue evolved, spare your time, I am more than aware of what the societal grid was like at that time unfortunately -- and none of it moves me to consider that the players were correct in their actions.

I stand by my stance, and I'd think that probably many others would agree with me on my thoughts...thoughts that may be conviction driven, however, in the sick & twisted world of intimidating political correctness may not allow another person to publicly stand on the same side of the street as do I for fear of whatever scorn may come their way.

I think it is safe to assume this post is written tongue in cheek.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

Poke Around wrote:
DocHolliday wrote:I'm so sick of this Black-14 stuff...as I posited an an earlier thread, Coach Eaton and the entire University were caught up in the politically correct windage of the day...the players should have been held accountable for trying to take control of a football program and holding it hostage because they couldn't get their way.

No, Ringolsby, you moron, you would think wrong, jackass.

Here's a dirty little secret as well, a lot of folks at UW currently would agree with me.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

DocHolliday wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:Good Grief! Way to get on your soap box about one topic on this thread. Do you have a full page for, the finger, DC rant, 59 recruiting and Koenning?
Twist and turn it any way you so wish to with sarcasm and humor...the point I raise is a larger one than the one that seeks an answer to your question.

The bottom line is I'm sick & tired of the Black-14 being portrayed though such sappy and sympathetic notes.

Wyoming did nothing wrong.

Lyoyd Eaton did nothing wrong.

The Black-14 themselves were responsible for a selfish act that caused irreparable damage to the University and the football program that wasn't deserved.

Period.
I completely agree with you. Wyo did nothing wrong in that instance, but it is a mark that the program will always carry. It WILL never be forgotten. And I whole heartedly embrace it. We struggled through it and got back to relevance.
Yes, had the B-14 never happened we may be in Nebraska's shoes right now, but since it did, I would say the biggest flaw we had in the "Screw Ball" 70's and early 80's was coaching changes... Sound familiar?
We couldn't get them to win after a few seasons, and they would be fired, or we weren't friendly to them as fans or admin and they would tuck tail and run and have success everywhere else they went.
Please people...Let's not revert back to the 70's and early 80's???
DC could very well be a Fritz Shurmur,Bill Lewis, Pat Dye, Fred Akers or Al Kincaid or Dennis Erickson. I'm pretty sure every single one of them went on to have very good coaching careers.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Oh geeze! I just reread what I wrote, and I could totally see Seattle or SDpoke saying something retarded about how I'm in love with DC...
That being said, and having wrote what I did has nothing to do with how I feel about DC. It has everything to do with the fact that the coaching carousel in the 70's and 80's brought us great coaches career after career, and because they couldn't get anything going here within three or four years, or they had a hint of success, they were gone! We did nothing to keep a great coach at Wyo. That's all I'm saying. Just don't fall back into the coaching carousel. We may have a gem coaching staff now, let's see where it takes us before making rash decisions.
WyoAlum1987
Ranch Hand

I agree that we need stability- a coach needs 4 years minimum to see how he recruits, how he fits in WY. Even great coaches have an off year-or two.

But I think other fans would agree with me-there is something missing at UW. It was there in the 70s, in the 80s, in the 90s. Its not there now. We used to expect that we would compete every year-break into the national rankings once in a while.

Now, to quote our AD... "we are who we are" and we make excuses for our lack of talent, coaching, etc. Hoping that a sows ear will someday turn into a silk purse.

The truth is, if DC could have landed that job in Houston he's have quit us like a bad habit. As it was, he got Burman to give him a cool million a year with no performance goals, anything.

So as much as I wish we had the stability and character of Roach and Brandenburg on the sidelines...we dont. (though our wrestling coach is a dandy). As much as I wish we had the strong visionary leadership in the AD office to recuit and keep great coaches and build competitive programs..we dont.

Like you, I yearn for stability. I would have much rather watched more years of Joe Glenn losing than to have watched the Christensen debacle. Someone said we should have kept Joe at a low salary and gone out and recruited the most hot shot Coordinators and assistants in the country-that isnt a bad model. Maybe Tiller would like to come out of retirement and give it a go.. :cool:

anyway, as much as I want to agree with you-I have to respectfully disagree
DC has had his 4 years. He has never truly embraced Wyoming and would have left if he could have. Now he is making our program a laughingstock. He and Burman both need to go. THEN we look for some stability-
High character guys with a vision for excellence who want to bleed Brown and Gold-and bring back the tradition of being cowboy tough!
Poke Around
Ranch Hand

DocHolliday wrote:
Poke Around wrote:

Here's a dirty little secret as well, a lot of folks at UW currently would agree with me.

Wrong again. Keep guessing. You have missed again but that's okay. I don't consider it an insult.
The Virginian
Cowpoke

The notion that UW was the victim in the Black 14 case is revisionist poop.
This post submitted anonymously by Jeff Fry aka DCPoke
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

The Virginian wrote:The notion that UW was the victim in the Black 14 case is revisionist poop.
i think just about everyone involved was a victim to some degree.....except yBu
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
TracyRingolsby
Buckaroo

DocHolliday wrote:
Poke Around wrote:

If you want to talk to me, you don't have to attack other posters for their feelings.
As for my feelings on Black 14, there is too much time oversimplfing the matter, too many details that are quickly overlooked, and too much blame placed on either side. What can't be ignored is that the timing of Black 14, no matter who was at fault, was such that it was easily the biggest blow our football program ever suffered. If you were around back then you would know that it came at the time that Southern schools suddenly decided to recruit and play African Americans, thanks to what USC did to Alabama. It also was at the time the NCAA instituted a 1.8 rule.

And, just curious, on twitter last summer you said you were going to join Cowboy Joe Club and announced to your followers you would donate no less than the minimum for Millward Simpson level, which is $25,000. Just wondering if that donation is coming.

And what you should know is you don't have to guess what I say or feel. My name is on it, and my accounts aren't blocked to hide my feelings from anyone who wants to know them.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

kansasCowboy wrote:Oh geeze! I just reread what I wrote, and I could totally see Seattle or SDpoke saying something retarded about how I'm in love with DC...That being said, and having wrote what I did has nothing to do with how I feel about DC. It has everything to do with the fact that the coaching carousel in the 70's and 80's brought us great coaches career after career, and because they couldn't get anything going here within three or four years, or they had a hint of success, they were gone! We did nothing to keep a great coach at Wyo. That's all I'm saying. Just don't fall back into the coaching carousel. We may have a gem coaching staff now, let's see where it takes us before making rash decisions.

You don't have to worry about me saying anything bud, you are allowed to say what you feel. I'm past that lol :thumb:

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

seattlecowboy wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:Oh geeze! I just reread what I wrote, and I could totally see Seattle or SDpoke saying something retarded about how I'm in love with DC...That being said, and having wrote what I did has nothing to do with how I feel about DC. It has everything to do with the fact that the coaching carousel in the 70's and 80's brought us great coaches career after career, and because they couldn't get anything going here within three or four years, or they had a hint of success, they were gone! We did nothing to keep a great coach at Wyo. That's all I'm saying. Just don't fall back into the coaching carousel. We may have a gem coaching staff now, let's see where it takes us before making rash decisions.

You don't have to worry about me saying anything bud, you are allowed to say what you feel. I'm past that lol :thumb:
Thanks...
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

Last edited by DocHolliday on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.