Tim DeRuyter, Mike MacIntyre, Dave Doeren, Charlie Strong

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

What do these fellas have in common?

All were defensive coaches/coordinators before taking head coaching gigs and they have all had great success as HCs.

I am willing to give DC another year to get things straightened away - and have a shot at making our defense what it should be...but if he doesn't and we continue to backslide, I think we need to hire a defensive coordinator as our next HC. I'd prefer from a Big Ten or SEC school or Stanford. Lately, the Big XII (other than TCU) and PAC12 (other than Stanford) have forgotten how to play defense. That or just hire Dave Doeren.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 232 times

LawPoke wrote:What do these fellas have in common?

All were defensive coaches/coordinators before taking head coaching gigs and they have all had great success as HCs.

I am willing to give DC another year to get things straightened away - and have a shot at making our defense what it should be...but if he doesn't and we continue to backslide, I think we need to hire a defensive coordinator as our next HC. I'd prefer from a Big Ten or SEC school or Stanford. Lately, the Big XII (other than TCU) and PAC12 (other than Stanford) have forgotten how to play defense. That or just hire Dave Doeren.
We really have no choice financially other than to roll with Dave Christensen...but saying that we should hire a Defensive Coordinator as a HC I don't necessarily agree with. That is because in this day and age of football, I think it is apparent that we have to maintain a spread offense to continue to be competitive. We will never recruit the players necessary to run various other offenses focused on the power run game, et al...

Also, there is a great defensive coordinator named Vic Koenning...oh yea, we tried that one.
zappinpoke
Cowpoke

I was going to bring that up,but you beat me to it
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Here's hoping Fresno can keep DeTuyter....rumors are Colorado is going hard after him.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

Perhaps it is the great success we are seeing in our league (DeRuyter) or will soon (MacIntyre and Anderson) that makes me think this way. Yeah, Vic was an unmitigated disaster - can't disagree. I guess that I am just dying to see a stout defense again at UW...
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Montana interviewed Doeren 3 years ago to be the head coach.. good god I wish the Griz would have landed him. That guy has made NIU a power house.
ImageImageImageImage
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote:Montana interviewed Doeren 3 years ago to be the head coach.. good god I wish the Griz would have landed him. That guy has made NIU a power house.
Scary football team.......he will not remain at NIU passed January. Same with Darrell Hazell.