Christensen plans on full analysis

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Wyoming football coach Christensen plans on full analysis of program after 4-8 season

LARAMIE -- A freshly-printed stack of statistics sat on Dave Christensen’s desk. The dissection of the 2012 season is in its infancy. But the coach said the study will be thorough.

read more....

There are a lot of things I would like to comment on about this article. So ii'll get it started with this.

COACHING STAFF
Coach Christensen wrote:As of Monday afternoon, Christen's coaching staff will remained untouched. Tormey is still assigned to Wyoming recruiting duties as of Monday evening.
GL with your Idaho Tormey we're all rooting for you, If you don't get it I sure as hell hope you turn this defense around next year.

DEFENSE
Coach Christensen wrote:Other things include finding or developing a defensive player or players who can fill the role of a disruptive pass rusher.

“I don’t know if there’s a guy anybody would circle and say, ‘We’re going to have to double-team this guy,'" Christensen said. "And that’s what you need. You need somebody who is going to get after the quarterback.”

“I don’t know that there are a lot of flaws in the scheme, as much as there was technique or assignment-wise,” Christensen said. “But we will look at that, for sure. I think we have a lot of young guys coming back that need to improve between this year and next year. I think they are capable athletes that can do it.”
To me that pretty much lays it out as clear as anything does, I personally believe if his opinion about the defense doesn't change and change a lot we could be in just as bad shape. While someone that can become that disruptive pass rusher is a good thing we have a lot of fundamentals that are flawed that need work first and with the proper work we should naturally develop that pass rusher.

OFFENSE
Coach Christensen wrote:Christensen stressed that Wyoming needs to present a more effective ground game next year. And he believes that will be achieved in part thanks to more depth on his offensive line. Wyoming played with six linemen this season. Those numbers will be boosted next year; Christensen hopes his offensive line will be two-deep.

“We’ve got to be more sound up front,” he said. “We have to be more physical, so we can run the football. Some of that will come with the maturity of the running backs. But we have to do a better job developing a run game. And we will, to take some pressure off Brett from having to throw it all the time.”

Wyoming's receivers, however, could be the highlight of 2013. UW loses senior receiver Chris McNeill, but returns everyone else, including Sam Stratton who sat out this season due to a knee injury. Four redshirt receivers all taller than 6-feet tall (Eric Nzeocha, Nico Brown, Trent Sewell and Jake Maulhardt) will look to contribute as well.

“There is going to be great, great competition at the receiver positions,” Christensen said.
I certainly agree that our receiving core is going to be very very strong but we need to do more than just let maturity of the running backs happen. We certainly need more effort put forth into the O Line and the Backs both.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I don't really think there's much wrong with the defensive scheme either, to be fair. I'm pretty sure the defensive backs aren't supposed to let a receiver get a 30 yard cushion to the closest defender no matter what scheme you're running. With more pressure on the QB, there's less time for such plays to develop, but the defensive backs need to stay with their assignments as well, or it won't matter what kind of defense we play.

Also, all teams miss tackles, but I swear we miss more than anybody else.

More depth on the lines will make a huge difference, but I'm really afraid we're going to see attrition again. It doesn't seem like we're nearly deep enough yet.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote:I don't really think there's much wrong with the defensive scheme either, to be fair. I'm pretty sure the defensive backs aren't supposed to let a receiver get a 30 yard cushion to the closest defender no matter what scheme you're running. With more pressure on the QB, there's less time for such plays to develop, but the defensive backs need to stay with their assignments as well, or it won't matter what kind of defense we play.

Also, all teams miss tackles, but I swear we miss more than anybody else.

More depth on the lines will make a huge difference, but I'm really afraid we're going to see attrition again. It doesn't seem like we're nearly deep enough yet.
Most of the game, we actually had SUDS' RBs in the backfield, and then all of a sudden the RBs were 10 yards downfield.